Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Newsday / Re: Obit Lineup
« Last post by Nubbins on July 07, 2022, 10:20:07 PM »
Roe v Wade

LOL. I was just thinking: No one's died in a while.

Can't remember when this thread was so quiet. I attribute this to the fact that we have all finally fallen through the looking glass and/or that we're dead

I'm very glad that these forums are still here and at least a few of us visit kind of regularly. I'm also glad that, hopefully, the reason a lot of folks don't visit or comment as often anymore is because they're busy living full and successful lives.

Happycat's still a fucking lunatic.

Oh yeah? He was a great writer... what's he been up to anyway?

So he contacted me, spent all this time rebuilding the bridge, and then asked me for a job. I got him to edit the Boble before I published it at Amazon, and then I gave him a gig with the main pub company. I paid him the standard freelance dev ed wages and he lost his mind because he learned that the cover artist (and, eventually, author) would make a little bit more than him. So he sent me wild, violent emails and walked off the job. Then he sued me for unemployment.

Holy shit. Some people are fucking weird about money, I tell you. It?s no wonder it?s taboo to talk salary at pretty much every company I?ve worked for.
« Last post by nacho on July 07, 2022, 04:58:52 PM »
James Caan!
Movies & Entertainment / Re: Horror Movie Round-Up
« Last post by nacho on July 03, 2022, 11:24:23 AM »
Last Night in Soho is easily the best horror film I've seen in the last 20 years.

It's not unique or amazing. It's Stir of Echoes basically. And it's a little bit of everything else -- Sliding Doors comes to mind, and many other movies came to mind while I was watching.

But, somehow, it's a perfect distillation of what's come before. It's slow-paced in a good way (you eventually get a handful of jump scares, but they're mainly in the final act). In terms of pacing, it feels like The Changeling -- where you spent a long time knowing that something is wrong, but you can't quite figure out what.

I even guessed the twist about an hour before it happened and was still surprised!

Great stuff. Plus you get Anya Taylor-Joy's butt.
« Last post by nacho on June 30, 2022, 10:02:32 AM »
Roe v Wade

Can't remember when this thread was so quiet. I attribute this to the fact that we have all finally fallen through the looking glass and/or that we're dead

I'm very glad that these forums are still here and at least a few of us visit kind of regularly. I'm also glad that, hopefully, the reason a lot of folks don't visit or comment as often anymore is because they're busy living full and successful lives.

So he contacted me, spent all this time rebuilding the bridge, and then asked me for a job. I got him to edit the Boble before I published it at Amazon, and then I gave him a gig with the main pub company. I paid him the standard freelance dev ed wages and he lost his mind because he learned that the cover artist (and, eventually, author) would make a little bit more than him. So he sent me wild, violent emails and walked off the job. Then he sued me for unemployment.
« Last post by Nubbins on June 29, 2022, 03:59:04 PM »
Roe v Wade

« Last post by nacho on June 28, 2022, 09:49:01 AM »
Roe v Wade

« Last post by Nubbins on June 27, 2022, 12:54:16 PM »
Roe v Wade

« Last post by nacho on June 26, 2022, 12:38:16 PM »
Roe v Wade

« Last post by Nubbins on June 24, 2022, 04:02:22 PM »
Roe v Wade
Reading & Writing / Re: Amazon Gold
« Last post by nacho on June 22, 2022, 11:54:30 AM »
I have no idea where to post shit anymore and I'm pretty sure Andrew's FB messenger is not something he checks on the reg. Anyway, I thought this was relevant.

https://god.dailydot.com/readers-returning-finished-ebooks/

I stopped checking my news feeds, comments, and DMs long ago. Fuck those people.

Returning ebooks is actually fairly rare. There's lots of hoops you have to go through and you only have a brief window (a week, as the article mentions. It's actually two weeks if you feel like dealing with customer service).

This...is not weird. Steam does the same thing. You have up to 12 months to return physical books (and doing that costs the author or publisher twice as much as there's usually a 10% handling fee). With the glut of self-published crap at Amazon, I actually applaud this.   
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]