Author Topic: General Star Wars Thread  (Read 63857 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: General Star Wars Thread
« Reply #570 on: February 05, 2018, 07:31:05 PM »
It's impossible to capture that young Harrison Ford charisma. I think this is a horrible mistake... But, I have faith. I have hope! Rebellions are built on hope!

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #571 on: February 05, 2018, 07:43:59 PM »
I think if it's an Ocean's 11/Italian Job style caper, we'll be okay. If they get too far into demystifying Han Solo, then we won't be.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #572 on: February 06, 2018, 07:35:43 PM »
!!

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-game-of-thrones-new-films-david-benioff-db-weiss-1202689489/

‘Game of Thrones’ Creators to Write, Produce New ‘Star Wars’ Series of Films

“Game of Thrones” creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going to write and produce a new series of “Star Wars” films, Disney announced on Tuesday.

The new series will be separate from the main episodic Skywalker saga that started with “Star Wars: A New Hope” and is slated to wrap up with 2019’s “Star Wars: Episode IX.” It will also exist independently from a Rian Johnson-helmed series that was announced last year.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in a statement. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

It also comes at a time of transition for Benioff and Weiss. “Game of Thrones,” their sprawling fantasy epic, will end its run on HBO in 2019.  The show has been a massive hit for the premium cabler and has been hailed by fanboys and critics alike for its ability to mix spectacle and political wrangling. “Game of Thrones” is adapted from George R.R. Martin’s book series of the same name.

Benioff and Weiss previously announced that they were developing another series for HBO called “Confederate.” However, that show generated a great deal of controversy over its plotline — it’s an alternate history series that imagines that the American Civil war ended in a stalemate and slavery remains legal — which some deemed insensitive. HBO declined to comment on the future of that series.

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of ‘Game of Thrones’ is complete.”

In 2012, Disney acquired Lucasfilm, the company behind the “Star Wars” series, for more than $4 billion. Since that time, the studio has been exploring novel ways to extend a galaxy far, far away beyond the Skywalker family’s struggles and to maximize their investment. In addition to a new trilogy that unites familiar characters such as Luke Skywalker with new Jedi warriors, the studio has backed standalone spinoff films such as “Rogue One” and next summer’s “Solo,” a look at the early years of Han Solo.

Disney did not give a timeline for when these new Benioff and Weiss-penned films will hit theaters. On an earnings call, Disney CEO Bob Iger said that the two men had approached the studio with an idea a while ago.  Even thought the duo made their name in television, Iger said they were not interested in doing something on the small screen.

“Their interest was in creating a series of films that are ‘Star Wars’ based,” said Iger. “To my knowledge they didn’t express interest about a series.”

Iger was mum on any plot details except to say that the writers and producers are “…focused on a point of time in the ‘Star Wars’ mythology.”

Benioff and Weiss are repped by CAA, Management 360, and attorney Gretchen Rush.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #573 on: February 07, 2018, 07:51:54 AM »
In the "we get anything we ask for" department...

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #574 on: April 05, 2018, 01:55:11 PM »
I never know what to believe on these "I saved the movie" stories because I know how this shit goes down in the process. That said, Rogue One never has registered above lukewarm for me. To use a phrase that's become commonplace here on GS, it felt unnecessary. That said, It also feels like it was only a couple steps away form being a real hot mess.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rogue-one-writer-tony-gilroy-opens-up-reshoots-1100060

Tony Gilroy on 'Rogue One' Reshoots: They Were In "Terrible Trouble"
The screenwriter, who salvaged the 'Star Wars' project, says the situation was so dire, "all you could do was improve their position."

Tony Gilroy is getting candid for the first time about his emergency trip to the Star Wars galaxy.

In June 2016, Lucasfilm hired the Oscar-winning writer to rework Rogue One: A Star Wars Story after the studio was unsatisfied by the state of director Gareth Edwards' movie. By August, he was taking a leading role in post-production and oversaw reshoots to fix a few issues, including the film's ending. Gilroy ultimately was paid millions for his work, and many consider him the film's ghost director.

Gilroy had not spoken publicly about Rogue One until Monday's appearance on The Moment with Brian Koppelman podcast, where he noted that he immediately saw ways to improve the movie when he came on the scene in London.

"If you look at Rogue, all the difficulty with Rogue, all the confusion of it … and all the mess, and in the end when you get in there, it's actually very, very simple to solve," Gilroy said of the film. "Because you sort of go, this is a movie where, 'folks, just look. Everyone is going to die.' So it's a movie about sacrifice."

He saw the opportunity to explore why the film's characters — played by stars such as Felicity Jones, Diego Luna and Donnie Yen — would ultimately sacrifice themselves at the end of the film in order to allow the Rebels to gain the plans to the Death Star.

Choosing his words carefully, Gilroy signaled how much of the project  was changed after he boarded. (Star Ben Mendleson has said "an enormously different" version of the film exists.)

"I came in after the director's cut. I have a screenplay credit in the arbitration that was easily won," said Gilroy.

Unlike lifelong fans like Star Wars: The Last Jedi's Rian Johnson, Gilroy was not a fan of the franchise before boarding, and therefore had no trepidation about potentially messing it up.

"I've never been interested in Star Wars, ever. So I had no reverence for it whatsoever. I was unafraid about that," said Gilroy. "And they were in such a swamp … they were in so much terrible, terrible trouble that all you could do was improve their position."

Rogue One went on to get strong reviews (85 percent on Rotten Tomatoes) and earn more than $1 billion at the global box office, but Gilroy doesn't have plans to return to a galaxy far, far away.

"It doesn't appeal to me," he said of making another Star Wars film. "But I don't think Rogue really is a Star Wars movie in many ways. To me, it's a Battle of Britain movie."

Listen to the full The Moment with Brian Koppelman podcast here. His remarks on Rogue One begin just before the 46:00 mark.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #575 on: April 06, 2018, 11:02:44 AM »
So...I loved Rogue One. Very much. And it's the gateway movie for non-Star Wars people.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #576 on: April 08, 2018, 10:09:30 PM »
I think Solo will be the gateway movie for non-Star Wars people.

What I also love about the anthology movies? How they're opening up the universe musically. Rogue One was great for feeling like Star Wars while not sounding like Star Wars.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #577 on: April 09, 2018, 09:43:09 AM »
Came here to see if you posted it! And, yes. I feel good about this now. It's the Firefly reboot we deserve.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #578 on: April 09, 2018, 11:04:17 AM »
It's the Firefly reboot we deserve.

Wow. I didn't even think about it until you said it, but you're right.

We have a lot of dates in May. This, Cobra Kai... Okay two dates.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #579 on: June 01, 2018, 10:54:43 AM »
Um, Solo is pretty good. I say this with hesitation because I seem to be a distinct minority in thinking so. That, and I feel like I can’t trust my own feelings on Star Wars anymore because the Internet has made Star Wars a referendum on the culture at large.  I don’t want to go off on a rant about How Star Wars “fans” are slowly wearing away at our goodwill towards the films, because maybe that started with the prequels and it’s been sullied since Lucas decided not to just let the original trilogy exist on its own in the first place.

By the way, I’m done with the “Is this film necessary?” argument. All of these sequels and franchise building films are unnecessary. They’re also the future of cinema for better or worse. If in ten years we have the Weekend at Bernie’s cinematic universe, I’m unlikely to blink an eye at this point.

I like Star Wars. I’m inclined to apologize for even its worst choices. I can even make a compelling (if slightly ludicrous) argument that the prequels, while sloppy and misguided, function in the larger world of Star Wars. (Attack of the Clones is the exception that proves the rule.)

I’m not sure how much we talked about it on GS, but I’ll go on the record here as saying what I loved most about The Last Jedi was it’s willingness to upset the Star Wars apple cart and subtlety suggest to fans that what they *think* they love about Star Wars might not be what they *actually* love about Star Wars. It deemphasized the importance of the Skywalkers and even the Force, concepts that the prequels elevated to near mythic proportions.

Solo, like Rogue One, is also a prequel, but it’s firmly rooted in a corner of the Star Wars universe where the Jedi and the Force simply don’t matter. There’s barely any mention of either, and I can’t tell you how refreshing that is. The brushes of Jedi/Sith shit implied in the movie’s third act are subtle and indirect, and save for one moment don’t draw attention to themselves. 

In the lead up to Solo’s release we posted that it felt like Firefly and would be smart not to demystify Han Solo. The film works because we ended up being right about both these things. Solo is about the folks in the Star Wars universe who are trying to make a quick buck and get a ship, the girl, or a nice retirement chalet on the beach planet. It’s *very* Firefly.

And while we see Han Solo meet Chewbacca and fly the Millenium Falcon for the first time, the character isn’t deconstructed or demystified. In fact, from the first shot Han is basically the same Han we know from the other movies.  Part of that is the filmmakers took Harrison Ford’s claim “there’s not much to the guy” to heart. He’s a hustler, a rogue, and a guy trying to game the system from minute one. The filmmakers get that his hero arc comes later. Right now, it’s about him running scams, doing jobs, and being charming.

I said on Twitter that Han and Chewie in this movie are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to the Hamlet of Tobias Beckett, the character played by Woody Harrellson. One of the reasons that the new guy as Han works is that he’s really just a side player in the larger story between Woody, Daenerys, and the guy who plays Vision in the Marvel movies. Han is the new guy and mostly just going along to get along for as long as it’s working for him. He’s a small time crook who trying to run with the big dogs. Nothing less and nothing more. It works.

All the hand wringing over this film was much ado about nothing. It plays it safe, but in the right way. It never gets overly complicated, and moves fast and loose... kind of like Han Solo himself.

RC says check it out.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 12:50:03 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #580 on: June 01, 2018, 02:05:56 PM »
Oh, I will check it out. No doubt of that. I just wasn't as excited about it going in due to franchise fatigue. But, loyally, I will sit here and get it in me one day...but not soon. Not in the theaters.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #581 on: June 21, 2018, 09:56:36 AM »
Jeez... One little movie makes less than a trillion dollars and they lose it.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-the-star-wars-story-films-are-being-put-on-hold-1826992769

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #582 on: June 21, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »
I liked Solo better than Rogue One. The anthology movies are weirdly refreshing.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #583 on: June 22, 2018, 07:35:40 AM »
I liked it better than "A Force Awakens" but I like Rogue One better than Solo. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #584 on: June 22, 2018, 10:35:45 AM »
I'd like for the anthology movies to take us elsewhere in the universe. Doesn't the EU cover, like, a few thousand years of war-torn history? Do we really need a Muppet Babies version of every single character and/or films that link up with previous movies?

Has somebody said this exact same thing on every single page of this thread going back to 2005?