Ningen Manga Productions > NMP Short Films

Does GS think FS is BS?

(1/3) > >>

RottingCorpse:
So, after spending eighteen hours dowloading First Session, what's the verdict? Keep on following the indy filmmaker dream or shoot myself in the face?

Nubbins:

--- Quote from: RottingCorpse ---So, after spending eighteen hours dowloading First Session, what's the verdict? Keep on following the indy filmamker dream or shoot myself in the face?
--- End quote ---

Okay... after 16 hours of 1k a second file transfer I have it and just watched it.   So, here's my completely honest, no blowing smoke up your ass opinion.

I really liked it.  I thought the camerawork was well done, the editing was smooth and Scot's acting was fantastic.  I also liked the plot/idea of the whole thing.

The negative things I have to say are fairly minor.  I realize there is only so much you can do in 26 minutes of a film.  At times, it felt like you were trying to cram about an hour and a half worth of movie into the flick, especially when it comes to the relationship between Smith and the psychologist.  It was almost as if you had a bunch of good ideas, but tried to fit too many of them into it.  The only other thing I'd say is that the score played too much... there were times where I think it should have been silent during the dialogue in order to build tension, but it wasn't.

So there.  That's it.  That's my completely honest opinion.  For a first effort, I think you show a lot of potential.  The good far outweighs any of my nitpicking.  The makeup on Smith's mother was really creepy and the editing with the quick flashes of imagery as Smith is getting ready to freak out was pretty cool too.  Actually all the editing was really well done.  The camera cuts were really smooth.  Definitely keep at it if it's something you want to do.  I think you're good at it!

monkey!:
I downloaded it in like 5 minutes over my kick-ass connection, but I haven't watched it yet.

I'm really bad for getting around to stuff.

So, I'll post here when I've watched it - also I'll pass it my friends.

RottingCorpse:

--- Quote from: Nubbins ---At times, it felt like you were trying to cram about an hour and a half worth of movie into the flick, especially when it comes to the relationship between Smith and the psychologist.  It was almost as if you had a bunch of good ideas, but tried to fit too many of them into it.
--- End quote ---

I've gotten that comment from a lot of people who've seen it actually and I couldn't agree more.  Really, the film should be about ten minutes shorter than it is, but it was tough to find places to cut material out. I didn't want it to feel like there were big holes in how the relationship between Smith and Josie grew. One of the issues the actors had was the fact that the characters had to go from not knowing each other to a place of high emotional stakes in a very short period of time.

What i did was create the set up for a feature length film and play it out in only thirty minutes. I shold have either cut it down or made it longer.

I'm glad you liked it though.

Nubbins:

--- Quote from: RottingCorpse on November 06, 2005, 07:27:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nubbins ---At times, it felt like you were trying to cram about an hour and a half worth of movie into the flick, especially when it comes to the relationship between Smith and the psychologist.  It was almost as if you had a bunch of good ideas, but tried to fit too many of them into it.
--- End quote ---

I've gotten that comment from a lot of people who've seen it actually and I couldn't agree more.  Really, the film should be about ten minutes shorter than it is, but it was tough to find places to cut material out. I didn't want it to feel like there were big holes in how the relationship between Smith and Josie grew. One of the issues the actors had was the fact that the characters had to go from not knowing each other to a place of high emotional stakes in a very short period of time.

What i did was create the set up for a feature length film and play it out in only thirty minutes. I shold have either cut it down or made it longer.

I'm glad you liked it though.

--- End quote ---

For some reason this thread was marked as read even though I hadn't actually read this yet.  I was worried that I'd pissed ya off!

Anyway, I definitely liked this movie a lot, no shit.  I think you've got some real talent for storytelling and camerawork and I really hope you keep at it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version