Author Topic: Does GS think FS is BS?  (Read 9391 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Does GS think FS is BS?
« on: November 06, 2005, 03:13:54 PM »
So, after spending eighteen hours dowloading First Session, what's the verdict? Keep on following the indy filmmaker dream or shoot myself in the face?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 04:16:51 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
Re: Does GS think FS is BS?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 03:46:00 PM »
Quote from: RottingCorpse
So, after spending eighteen hours dowloading First Session, what's the verdict? Keep on following the indy filmamker dream or shoot myself in the face?

Okay... after 16 hours of 1k a second file transfer I have it and just watched it.   So, here's my completely honest, no blowing smoke up your ass opinion.

I really liked it.  I thought the camerawork was well done, the editing was smooth and Scot's acting was fantastic.  I also liked the plot/idea of the whole thing.

The negative things I have to say are fairly minor.  I realize there is only so much you can do in 26 minutes of a film.  At times, it felt like you were trying to cram about an hour and a half worth of movie into the flick, especially when it comes to the relationship between Smith and the psychologist.  It was almost as if you had a bunch of good ideas, but tried to fit too many of them into it.  The only other thing I'd say is that the score played too much... there were times where I think it should have been silent during the dialogue in order to build tension, but it wasn't.

So there.  That's it.  That's my completely honest opinion.  For a first effort, I think you show a lot of potential.  The good far outweighs any of my nitpicking.  The makeup on Smith's mother was really creepy and the editing with the quick flashes of imagery as Smith is getting ready to freak out was pretty cool too.  Actually all the editing was really well done.  The camera cuts were really smooth.  Definitely keep at it if it's something you want to do.  I think you're good at it!
8=o tation

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
Does GS think FS is BS?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 04:52:33 PM »
I downloaded it in like 5 minutes over my kick-ass connection, but I haven't watched it yet.

I'm really bad for getting around to stuff.

So, I'll post here when I've watched it - also I'll pass it my friends.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 07:27:37 PM »
Quote from: Nubbins
At times, it felt like you were trying to cram about an hour and a half worth of movie into the flick, especially when it comes to the relationship between Smith and the psychologist.  It was almost as if you had a bunch of good ideas, but tried to fit too many of them into it.

I've gotten that comment from a lot of people who've seen it actually and I couldn't agree more.  Really, the film should be about ten minutes shorter than it is, but it was tough to find places to cut material out. I didn't want it to feel like there were big holes in how the relationship between Smith and Josie grew. One of the issues the actors had was the fact that the characters had to go from not knowing each other to a place of high emotional stakes in a very short period of time.

What i did was create the set up for a feature length film and play it out in only thirty minutes. I shold have either cut it down or made it longer.

I'm glad you liked it though.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 10:14:11 PM »
Quote from: Nubbins
At times, it felt like you were trying to cram about an hour and a half worth of movie into the flick, especially when it comes to the relationship between Smith and the psychologist.  It was almost as if you had a bunch of good ideas, but tried to fit too many of them into it.

I've gotten that comment from a lot of people who've seen it actually and I couldn't agree more.  Really, the film should be about ten minutes shorter than it is, but it was tough to find places to cut material out. I didn't want it to feel like there were big holes in how the relationship between Smith and Josie grew. One of the issues the actors had was the fact that the characters had to go from not knowing each other to a place of high emotional stakes in a very short period of time.

What i did was create the set up for a feature length film and play it out in only thirty minutes. I shold have either cut it down or made it longer.

I'm glad you liked it though.

For some reason this thread was marked as read even though I hadn't actually read this yet.  I was worried that I'd pissed ya off!

Anyway, I definitely liked this movie a lot, no shit.  I think you've got some real talent for storytelling and camerawork and I really hope you keep at it.
8=o tation

Offline jreale

• Minty fresh
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 10:48:46 AM »
I think it's money, actually.
Insert witty phrase, inspirational quote, or self-promotional blurb here.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 02:53:15 PM »
Jody, if only you knew how many times while shooting we said, "That's money," before going to the next shot.

Glad folks have enjoyed it. In a couple weeks, I'll have a promo webpage up for the next movie featuring our cool logo and design work by Tyson "Ban Me Because I'm Beautiful" Tate. Hot stuff. I'm fifty pages in on the script as we speak. Once it's done we'll get all out ducks in order andl start shopping for the financial backing come spring.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 03:55:37 PM »
Another movie!?

Cool.

So, you're like, a professional director now?

Where's all the funding coming from?
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 04:19:38 PM »
Where's all the funding coming from?
Funding is not yet in place, but we've got a pretty good busines plan coming along. It'll take some time to get the investment package ready, but I think it'll be impressive enouugh to get teh job done. We're still staying low-budget of course. This one's a feature. We think we've got a good cahnce of getting some direct-to-video distribution if teh movie turns out as well as we hope.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 04:12:17 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 05:56:46 PM »
And I am going to play Sleeping Guard #2, right?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 08:09:45 PM »
And I am going to play Sleeping Guard #2, right?

I haven't written it yet, but I actually do have a scene in mind for your cop cameo.

Quote from: RottingCorpse
Your mom's cutting me into her profits. As hard as she works, she's got it to spare.

Don't you mean your wife?

She makes loads on her "handjob for a nickel" weekend deal. Two hands - that's 2 nickels at once!

They are worth paying for . . .

Er, I mean, monkey- How dare you say such a thing?!?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 09:59:45 PM »
Ooh!  A cop cameo!

It's very important, if I'm a cop, that I'm not at all helpful.  But not in the traditional horror movie way, where the shit's going on and it's obvious but the cop is just an ignorant idiot.  I want it to be all that, except the cop knows there's a problem and is totally ambivalent. 

They just killed that girl!

Sorry, this is old man Brown's field here.  County line. Can't help you.

But they just cut her head off!

Well...what can I tell you?  These things do happen. 

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 10:26:08 PM »
You and another cop in a strip bar. Not really any lines, but I think you'll be pleased.