Children of the Sun > Newsday Archives 2005

Google vs. A Bored Author's Guild (long)

<< < (4/5) > >>

Nubbins:
Hell yeah!  Fuck textbooks and fuck the people who think a hardback is worth more than $75.  The problem I had is that I always shelled out $300 for a massive Abnormal Psych book and when I went to sell it back either a.) They weren't buying the old copies because a new edition was coming out or b.) They'd give you $50 for it and re-sell it "used" the next semester for $150.  Either way they swept up loads of cash on that shit.  I had a friend who stole each and every one of his text books from the bookstore Sophomore-Junior year.  Pothead though I was, I was always too much of a goodie two shoes to go that far.

Ironically, I always sold my books back for anything they'd give me because when you're poor and in college, you need beer money.  Looking back on it, I wish I'd kept all those books, because Psych books make for some incredibly interesting reading sometimes.

Here's something else to chew on that may completely derail this thread, but I think I probably could have, with the exception of my English classes where we actually had to analyze the books we read, have earned a Psychology degree completely on my own using only my incredibly expensive text books.  It really makes you realize how worthless your degree is in the end... basically, it's a certificate from a bunch of old people saying, "Yep... he read his $300 books and passed our exams," when if you'd just read the books on your own outside of a classroom, you probably would have learned just as much if not more.

Tyson:
I've got a fun scam. My scholarship pays for up to $480 worth of supplies per quarter. I buy all the required and optional textbooks and some extra supplies, but not enough to raise suspicion. Then, I sell back the books I'll never touch again, some of which I never took out of the plastic wrap. Presto! $5!

Jesus. *sigh*

nacho:

--- Quote from: Nubbins ---

Here's something else to chew on that may completely derail this thread, but I think I probably could have, with the exception of my English classes where we actually had to analyze the books we read, have earned a Psychology degree completely on my own using only my incredibly expensive text books.  It really makes you realize how worthless your degree is in the end... basically, it's a certificate from a bunch of old people saying, "Yep... he read his $300 books and passed our exams," when if you'd just read the books on your own outside of a classroom, you probably would have learned just as much if not more.
--- End quote ---

I'd second this.  I learned more outside of the classroom... But, here's the thing, I was encouraged to do so.  That's what it should be about.  But you get these massive classes, these tired teachers, these mindless TA's, these publish or perish schools, and that old encouragement is gone.  I rather think the point of college is what I got in my little cowtown school, where the teacher said, dude, you like that shit?  Read these when you get a chance and tell me what you think.

jreale:
After my freshman year, I never bought the text; I went to all the classes, paid attention, and did fine.

Matt:
My logic class is unfortunately unable to skip the textbook, and I've dropped nearly $200 on my Arabic textbooks. But I plan on keeping those because speaking Arabic is a reasonably marketable skill, especially so for a journalist.

I need to work on writing up my first resume to so I can apply for a job working on Content Magazine, and I think I've got a really good shot at landing work on the layout design for Earthwords (undergrad literary magazine). I went to a reading tonight, it was okay. Some really good people, some less-interesting people, all better than me. Mostly depressing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version