Author Topic: I've got gas, too!  (Read 14914 times)

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
I've got gas, too!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 07:00:47 PM »
Ma just called from Upstate NY.  She said Atlanta's on the news.  Gas lines going apeshit.  She said there was a shot of a BP downtown at over $6 a gallon.
8=o tation

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
I've got gas, too!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 07:33:06 PM »
Apparently the $6 a gallon price tage is to keep people from buying gas there. Apparently owners are setting up some sort of ration system. Apparently we're all fucked.

Tyson

I've got gas, too!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 07:38:39 PM »
Must... Not... Be... Stupid... Nervous... American...

Acutally, I'm taking my bike with me when I drive to the parent's place this weekend. If I run out of gas - pah-chink! I'll bike home!

No, really: are there any credible sources/reports of a run on gas in the west? If so, it better clear up by this Friday. Stat!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
I've got gas, too!
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 08:16:27 PM »
DC Gas Report: $3 a gallon, no lines, no fights, nothing.  You yokels are panicmongering.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
I've got gas, too!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 09:10:28 PM »
Quote from: nacho
DC Gas Report: $3 a gallon, no lines, no fights, nothing.  You yokels are panicmongering.

Seriously, so I just drove home down Roswell Road (runs parallel to GA 400) because I wanted to see if it was true.  The truth: gas is over $3 a gallon, but the most expensive I saw was around $3.20... and people are fucking invading them.  There were sporadic statioins that appeared pretty normal, but for the most part they were all full of cars, which made getting beer kind of an adventure.  As I got closer to the city, it got worse.  Out by my apartment, there's an intersection with 3 stations at its corners and the fucking thing is clogged as hell with cars in line and spilling out onto the streets.
8=o tation

Tyson

I've got gas, too!
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2005, 09:15:22 PM »
Must be a regional thing.

Wait'll Friday and the prices drop back down a little. Then there'll be no one at the stations. That would be classic!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
I've got gas, too!
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2005, 10:14:48 PM »
The problem is that it wasn't as if gas prices were improving before this.

Again, I think it's panicking, but if not . . .

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
I've got gas, too!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005, 01:23:59 AM »
Quote from: RottingCorpse
The problem is that it wasn't as if gas prices were improving before this.

Again, I think it's panicking, but if not . . .

Fuck yeah it is.  There's no way we completely run out of fuel.  It's all the disinformation that's travelling around.

CNN: So, Governor, where do you go from here?  How do we begin to make the situation better than it is?

GOVERNOR: Well basically, and I've spoken with President Bush about this, we are going to tap our UCLA, MIT and Berkely resources here and speed up our research into Time Travel.  Hopefully, we'll have a device created within the next month so that we can transport tapes of this disaster back in time and show people how bad things have really gotten and avoid a lot of this mess.  Also, we've raided the armband-floatie supply of local pool stores throughout the country and hope to ship as many of those as we can to the Southeast once our tapes arrive in 4 days ago.
8=o tation

Tyson

I've got gas, too!
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2005, 01:39:01 AM »
Quote from: Nubbins
There's no way we completely run out of fuel.  It's all the disinformation that's travelling around.

Are you saying that we'll never run out of fossil fuels? Am I misunderstanding you?

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
I've got gas, too!
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2005, 01:46:08 AM »
Quote from: Tyson
There's no way we completely run out of fuel.  It's all the disinformation that's travelling around.

Are you saying that we'll never run out of fossil fuels? Am I misunderstanding you?

Eventually?  Perhaps...

In the next 2 weeks?  No fucking way.

Besides, even if every state is bone dry in 2 weeks, what the fuck is one, solitary, full tank of gas at $3 a gallon really going to do for you?  And really, even if we don't run out of gas and the prices soar to $7 a gallon, how is shoving gas at $3 a gallon into your car now really going to save you anything?

It's just sheer, illogical insanity for absolutely no reason whatsoever.  Trust me... those of us who filled up on Monday at $2.50 are going to be just as fucked in the long run if prices go to $6 as those of you who waited 2 hours for gas at $3 a gallon today.

Mindless hysteria... all of it.
8=o tation

Tyson

I've got gas, too!
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2005, 03:12:45 AM »

Eventually?  Perhaps...

In the next 2 weeks?  No fucking way.

The oil companies themselves seem to be predicting 50 years until we're bone-dry. While that *is* a long ways off, it's not going to be an easy slope to reach. When oil gets harder to find, gas will skyrocket. That will hopefully force all the gas stragglers at that time over to whatever alternative energy source we're using them.

I'm largely in favor of conserving gas. Get rid of power plants that use any derivative of oil. Get rid of wasteful vehicles. Focus research on hybrid technologies. That way, the transition will be much easier and we can potentially extend that 50 years by a number of years.

Our lifetimes are going to be really interesting, I bet. Already are! Woo!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
I've got gas, too!
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2005, 10:07:01 AM »

The oil companies themselves seem to be predicting 50 years until we're bone-dry. While that *is* a long ways off, it's not going to be an easy slope to reach. When oil gets harder to find, gas will skyrocket. That will hopefully force all the gas stragglers at that time over to whatever alternative energy source we're using them.

I'm largely in favor of conserving gas. Get rid of power plants that use any derivative of oil. Get rid of wasteful vehicles. Focus research on hybrid technologies. That way, the transition will be much easier and we can potentially extend that 50 years by a number of years.

Our lifetimes are going to be really interesting, I bet. Already are! Woo!

Stop!  Now, take a breath.  Ready?  Okay:  Who's predicting it?

Right, a group of giant multi-gazillion dollar organizations run by committee.  Do you think they want their daily multi-gazillion dollars to end on Wednesday, June 12th 2050?  No. Forget crying to the auto companies, it's the oil companies that'll come up with the next fuel source.

Offline jreale

• Minty fresh
I've got gas, too!
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2005, 12:54:30 PM »
Boulder gas report: $2.80/gal, no lines but lots of plucky youth invading the town as the University of Colorado starts up its fall semester.
Insert witty phrase, inspirational quote, or self-promotional blurb here.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
I've got gas, too!
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2005, 01:05:29 PM »
jody, you live in boulder?

what's up?  that's one of the places on my list to look at that i might move to.  dish a little...
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline jreale

• Minty fresh
I've got gas, too!
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2005, 01:59:55 PM »
Quote from: Cassander
jody, you live in boulder?

what's up?  that's one of the places on my list to look at that i might move to.  dish a little...

From my post to the "A Word on Handouts" thread yesterday...

I live about 30 minutes from the People's Republic of Boulder, which is a pretty awesome place if you like liberals, outdoor sports, nature and bars with live music. It's not the place for you if beautiful people with trust funds (Trustifarians), out of control housing and a 2:1 man to woman ratio bug you.

The public transportation is good, but the trouble is, if you leave Boulder, you're pretty much screwed. Denver's public transportation situation is shameful, but no one notices because everyone--everyone--drives everywhere. There's light rail going in, but a useful system is years away.

Oh! And I'm here. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.
Insert witty phrase, inspirational quote, or self-promotional blurb here.