Author Topic: Lost in Space  (Read 4741 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Lost in Space
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2018, 10:55:21 AM »
So one thing I like: The Earth is in a pre-apocalypse state. The movie was heavy-handed about this (and it wasn't a part of the story in the original), but, so far, the reboot is taking a refreshing approach to the apocalypse. It's on everyone's minds. Everyone is talking about it. But they're talking about it in a way that assumes we know what's happening. Like Parker Posey's sister is planning to flee the planet on one of the Jupiters, and Posey, a criminal, is scheming a way to get off world as well. The Robinsons, in flashbacks, are either in active military (the dad) or worried about it, while Maureen is also scheming ways off world and rigging what appears to be a lottery in her family's favor.

Meanwhile, the apocalypse plays out obliquely in the background. Maybe there's a scary news story going on with drama and fire and horror, but everyone is ignoring it because they're busy moving through their lives. Maybe we get a view through a window of a not very comfortable looking outside, but it doesn't matter because there's action going on. And all the action is focused on one thing: Bugging the fuck out.

By not telling us what's going on, I'm actually starting to get intrigued with by the flashbacks. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2018, 10:59:48 AM »
Another nice nod: Jupiter project notes specify that Alpha Centauri is the destination. That's from the original.

Forgot what the movie's destination was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2018, 11:05:28 AM »
Parker Posey's Smith is far more subtle. So it seemed like they were going down a role-reversal path with her, but then she betrayed West and the Red Shirt. And now she's just lurking around being malevolent. Robot also recognizes her (and vice versa, of course, since she witnessed the attack). But she's playing it close to the vest. She's playing everything close to the vest. But, thankfully, it's now no longer in doubt that this is a proper Dr. Smith. As in first few episodes of first season original show Smith when he was more clearly a villain, a traitor, and dangerous.

There are also elements of campy Smith, where she gushes hilariously to Will about how she's always wanted a little brother.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »
Being worried about Judy's ongoing PTSD about shit that happened a day ago is especially annoying when they're in a life or death situation and they stop to discuss whether or not Judy should "sit this one out."

Sure! She can lie in bed and rest while she listens to our death screams! That'll help her PTSD!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2018, 11:23:24 AM »
In other words, in her past she was the Dr. Smith we desperately wanted?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2018, 11:24:10 AM »
Alien! And first appropriate use of "Danger, Will Robinson."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »
In other words, in her past she was the Dr. Smith we desperately wanted?

She's becoming that now. I think our episode two intro was just a long establishing episode designed to connect her with the Robinsons.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2018, 11:30:31 AM »
Smith realizing that Robot obeys Will (and, so, scheming now to save her own hide) makes the Smith-Will relationship so much better. The closeness between them has always been oddly creepy, both in the original and the movie. This Smith doesn't give a fuck. She's befriending Will simply because Will controls their greatest asset.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »
Aliens turn out to be just an indigenous life form that happens to like the Jupiter's fuel but isn't really stalking the Robinsons. Which, then, fails to explain why Robot is so worried about them.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2018, 11:34:37 AM »
Smith realizing that Robot obeys Will (and, so, scheming now to save her own hide) makes the Smith-Will relationship so much better. The closeness between them has always been oddly creepy, both in the original and the movie. This Smith doesn't give a fuck. She's befriending Will simply because Will controls their greatest asset.

Like Fiona creepy-face and the kid in Utopia?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2018, 11:41:35 AM »
Man, Posey is doing a very complicated Smith. Everyone else is so flat. Like "I'm playing Will Robinson with only a slight twist," but Posey is making Smith her own. She's doing the amoral self-preservation thing... But she knows wrong from right and seems to want to aspire to doing the right thing. She hesitates and thinks about her actions.

Her intentions are evil, but then she takes a breath, thinks about it, and saves the day. Yet it's done in a way that does not inspire the audience to trust her at all. Kind of awesome. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »
Jupiter 2 Millennium Falcons its way out of a glacier cave to a swell of the retouched original theme song and it's awesome. Thank you.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2018, 11:45:25 AM »
Now you're on board it seems?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2018, 11:50:09 AM »
Once free and settled in the forest outside Vancouver, the Resolute (the launch station) makes contact with a "we will seek you out once we finish repairs" message. Which doesn't quite jive with the damage we saw in episode 2, but that's fine. I'm sure all is not what it seems.

Parker Posey's real name is June Harris. (Jonathan Harris was the original Dr. Smith actor.) That's sort of cool.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
Now you're on board it seems?

Episode 3 is on target. Now...let's see if that's a fluke.