Author Topic: Brexit: Victory for Pub Racists and Soccer Hooligans  (Read 25188 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Brexit: Victory for Pub Racists and Soccer Hooligans
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 11:26:34 AM »
Charlie Brooker ‏@charltonbrooker  Jun 26
At this rate next referendum we hold will be to decide whether or not to burn Edward Woodward alive in a huge wicker man to save the crops.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 07:28:52 AM »
Back to everyone yelling about the oldies winning this vote (primarily on the NHS lie, eh?). So I'm glad to see this start to show up:

Young Brits are angry about older people deciding their future, but most didn’t vote

The old bugaboo, eh? Complain, complain, complain and then....do nothing about it even when you're given the chance.

As we start to get the better picture of the British public, thanks to this vote, I have to say it's gratifying to see this chink in the armor. I'm a consummate anglophile, but even I find it exhausting to be around another particular type of Anglophile who worships the ground the Brits walk on. The stuff we always hear -- they have better TV (no, not even close), they have better values (no, they've been weird racists forever), they have a better government/political system (LOL).

Of course, that particular type of anglophile is crushed now. I see them moping around FB, demanding to know if there's going to be some sort of magical reversal, or if all this is a dream. These are the anglophiles who have no working knowledge of the UK past the year 1200.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »
There's a great quote going around FB right now. (And I'm going to ruin it while I paraphrase.) The essence of it is that people can only be propagandized so much before they actually make sweeping social choices that are against their best interests. Brexit is a macro version of the "save the old mill" referendum on your local ballot that nobody knows about until they get to the polls on election day. Then they see their choices as "save the old mill" or "sell the old mill" and have no idea of the deeper consequences of each action.

Old people pay attention to this shit. Half of those kids had no idea a vote was happening because kids are too busy trying to get into each other's pants. They're disengaged. Half of Britain's youth is probably still disengaged.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
Well, except this wasn't a referendum buried on a ballot. This was one vote for one particular thing and nothing else.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 01:42:35 PM »
So many issues with this nonsense.

1) The inherent problem of democracy and its need for an informed electorate.

Most electorates a vastly uninformed and often downright stupid. The areas with highest percentages to 'Leave' were those with lower education, lower employment, and those who received the most fiscal aid from the EU. Wales, for example, has received billions upon billions of euros over this last decade and subsequently demanded they, 'Lose no money,' with no answer as to from where this money shall come.

3) The 'Remain' advocates weren't able to provide enough 'facts' to sway emotions of stupid people - not necessarily the fault of Remain or indeed facts - and this is why Labour leader Corbyn is under pressure for not properly spreading the 'message' to their voter base. The referendum was a victory of 'feelings' over 'facts' during which the electorate allowed tabloid media to make their decisions rather than fact-checking.

3) Friday, the day after the referendum vote Google's #1 UK Search Trend was 'What is the EU?' Seriously. 46.5 million people of a 65 million population were registered and 72% of those voted. That's a lot of people who didn't even bother to Google 'What is the EU?' the day BEFORE they vote in a referendum.

4) The FTSE Index implodes - 1.5tn sterling to date - and brings down with it other global markets. Europe is 'fucking pissed' with British stupidity and holds opinion, 'You chose to leave now leave and do it quickly.' The UK panics and many confessed 'Leave' voters claim to regret their opinion, 'Oh, I didn't think it would pass' or ' I didn't know it would change anything' leading people to backtrack and pussy out from their own retarded decisions. Oh, I took a shit on my bed and didn't think it would make a mess - NOBODY TOLD ME IT WOULD MAKE A MESS!

5) David Cameron Lizard King Cyborg steps down - reportedly overhead to have said, 'Why should I do the hard stuff? I'm off.' - and leaves a poisoned chalice for Boris Johnson or another Pro-Brexit politician who takes over to step up and activate the dreaded Article 50 to begin the 2 year divorce process from the EU. If the Brexiters step down and pussy out their political careers are finished. If they step up and don't activate Article 50 they're finished. If they do, they're fucked - which leads to point 6.

6) Activation of Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty would dissolve the U.K. - Scotland has already proposed separation to avoid departure from the EU 'against their will.' Nationalist rumblings have begun in Northern Ireland to push for separation from the U.K. and inevitably towards a 'United' Ireland or maybe even a coalition between Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Republic of Ireland for each to keep sovereignty but maintain some economic coherence with each other and remain in the EU.

The lesson to be learned could be summed up in one Winston Churchill quotation:

'The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.'

Another question must be posed: should votes be weighted? Most of the 'Leave' voters were old people who must live with their decisive fuck-wittery for another 5 or 10 years; many 'Remain' voters must live with this for another 30 or 40 or 50 years.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:47:25 PM by monkey! »
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 01:51:50 PM »
Yay! The Monkey weigh-in!

From the American news-angle, we've shifted to just watching both Labour and the Tories tear themselves to pieces. Fascinating, especially since the GOP is currently doing the same thing.

2016 is starting to feel like the greatest crisis democratic theory has ever faced: ignorant voters finally being given power over the political oligarchy and the first step they take is off a cliff.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 10:11:21 AM »
So demystifying the reaction is fascinating...

Today's reveal is that the whole "people are overwhelmingly entering "What is the EU" into Google" is a lie. In fact, in the UK, there were less than 1000 hits for that search term. In fact, all those search terms that the media has been laughing about are false.

The collapse of the Pound has been vastly inflated. One dollar was worth 69 pence when all this started. Now one dollar is worth 74 pence. It never got over 75. That looks like it'll adjust back to where it was over the next few days.

The DOW and other markets took a nose dive, yes. On the 27th. By the 29th, they had nearly regained all of their pre-Brexit levels.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 11:56:43 AM »
Short term isn't the problem here. Short term, it's like "yawn!" Long term, though. I think history will look back at this moment as the beginning of a new era in Europe, and maybe not a pleasant one.

Again, any decision that makes Putin happy is probably a bad one.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 11:35:03 AM by RottingCorpse »

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2016, 02:19:01 AM »
Indeed. It will take at least five years to see real effects and yet another five years before people realize what stupid decisions they made.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 08:49:45 AM »
I, for one, would love a 10 year delay between making a decision and realizing I'm an idiot.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 01:24:45 PM »
I too!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 02:51:41 PM »
I love that Theresa May's rousing inaugural speech doesn't mention Brexit at all. Hilarious.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 10:20:26 AM »
And now we have Margaret Thatcherbot 2.0 at the helm of the Tories, behind Lizard King Cameron's scaly shoulder... a bouffant buffoon as Foreign Secretary, and Four Horsemen for MT2.0 Fore-economy.

London shall become Thunderdome.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 04:26:37 PM »
And now we have Margaret Thatcherbot 2.0 at the helm of the Tories, behind Lizard King Cameron's scaly shoulder... a bouffant buffoon as Foreign Secretary, and Four Horsemen for MT2.0 Fore-economy.

It's actually all very amusing from this side of the pond! Until we elect Trump and then everyone will go back to laughing at us. *Internet sad face.*

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 12:40:21 AM »

It's actually all very amusing from this side of the pond! Until we elect Trump and then everyone will go back to laughing at us. *Internet sad face.*

!!!!!!!