Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 12445 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Re: Westworld
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
Wait, so Westworld never was a novel? How did I not know that?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
Wait, so Westworld never was a novel? How did I not know that?

It was. Crichton wrote the book after the movie, though (adapting his script).

The book makes it a little bit more clear that there was a malicious computer virus that caused everything to go wrong (which is sort of an unspoken implication in Futureworld).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:07:12 PM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 01:24:38 PM »
So let's theorize on what Nolan's going to do... At Comic-Con he said that the series is told from the "host's" perspective and not the "human's" perspective. Which is pretty clear in the trailers with our main girl. He also said there was a five-season plan.

So, my prediction:

Season one: The AI's all slowly realize who and what they are. The human guests don't know who's human and who is AI. We'll see episodes or characters who may be pretending to be one or the other for either sexual/comic relief purposes or infiltration purposes. There will be hints of a conspiracy within the corporation. Cliffhanger: The AI's are self-aware. Rebellion is imminent, but not yet widespread. The movie-style parallels in the trailers (the gunslinger hunting people) are relatively small incidents compared to what's coming as Main Girl begins to assume the mantle of Caesar the Ape to lead her people to freedom.

(Cliffhanger B: We learn that they are in a prison/a simulation/a space station/otherwise trapped there on purpose/Hopkins is stealing guest's minds and turning them into unwilling AIs.)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 10:43:35 AM »
Going to race home and watch the pilot episode. I've been avoiding reviews, but the "Hosts" being androids is confirmed, Sirharles. However...looks like it's also well into the future and the human "players" are augmented humans.

Glad to hear it's set in the future, which is more in line with the "playground gone insane" tune of the original movie and not the "hokey 70's conspiracy" that the rest of the franchise embraced.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 11:48:11 AM »
Anxiously awaiting your review! I want to watch it if I make it up this week.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 07:54:40 PM »
Okay. So the pilot is just a prologue. The "this season on" promo at the end features the standard Westworld set-up -- our two guys coming in for a vacation and getting wrapped up in a robot revolution.

So, as a quiet prologue to the series, this was fine. It was slow, but it also told us every single thing we need to know so that they can get into the meat of the story in episode two. The whole episode is essentially exposition.

Things they did right:

• They flipped the roles a little bit. I was surprised at what Ed Harris turned out to be (and he remains a mystery, actually).
  • The orchestral version of Paint It Black
  • The tech and how it applies to the nature of the new and improved and now immortal human race, and the related implication  (hopefully to be further explored) that humanity has reached a tech level where we can "cure any disease...and even raise the dead" and this has resulted into indolence and a mirror-quest to "find out maker" (or the "deeper reason). There's an awful lot they can play with there.
  • How they handle the glitch. The explanation is kind of fun and, once you understand the explanation, you realize that every single Host has subtly been showing us what's going to happen to them (because it happens again and again and they've all died many times over). (Due to the fact that every main quest and side quest is scripted, their deaths tend to be the same every time.)
Things they did wrong:

• Going to the 1970's Telos Corp. "Futureworld" park, which is housed in the basement of the current park. Yawn. This is a cult movie that's 45 years old. Futureworld and the Telos Corp TV series are utter crap. We don't need the throwback. And, if you are going to do a throwback, then why isn't Telos Corp running the current park? If you're going to put yourself in the continuity, but 30 years later, then you have to tell us what happened in the last 30 years. You can't have it both ways, scriptwriters! This attempt to tie the current show with the franchise's existing continuity is a major misstep. Right now, it's only noticeable to fans. But what's the point of rebuilding the Futureworld lobby except to develop that backstory? And that's a fatal mistake if they do so.
  • The lack of Guests. Right now, this is a story about the Hosts. But...I think that may be part of the "prologue" aspect so I'll reserve judgment. However, it looks like, even when we start to get Guests in the mix, it's still going to be a show about the Hosts...which is fine, I guess. The Hosts and the staff who make them possible.
  • The staff who make them possible: Hopkins, the nebulous boss, is a troubled genius who's given up on humanity. His chief programmer is a gentle spirit who's sort of a dodo. The person who writes all of the interactive quests is a sterotypical foul-mouthed swaggering braggart. The head of security is a chain-smoking gal who's basically Sam Jackson from Jurassic Park, except one dimensional and boring. Overall, the entire cast lacks verve and not a single one of them piqued my interest at all. I'm oddly reminded of Plinkett's complaint about Force Awakens -- the odd lack of emotion that's seeping into our modern sci-fi. No one loves, no one is full of angst, no one is troubled. Everyone's playing flat characters. You're the chain smoking head of security, you're a macho fuck, you're a dodo, you...you just play Anthony Hopkins, as per usual. The only emotion comes from androids who are glitching, and our main gal. So, basically, the only real "character" that interested me is the glitch. But, again, the "prologue" aspect of this episode may be a factor here.

So... It's a slow burn series that demands we give it some time to build. And that's fine.

Since I keep repeating the word, my official review is: "It's fine." With a side order of "Whatever." and maybe a shrug.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:10:47 PM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 12:49:18 AM »
Okay... Yes. The pilot was a prologue.  Easy as that. And episode two is the reboot where we follow the two guys into the park. Very nice.

Stand out moments:

Mirror /reflection magic with Hopkins.

The guests avoiding side quests because they're boring.

The continued handling and portrayal of the glitch.

Whatever the fuck Ed Harris is up to and how the administrators are asking the same question.

Robot rattler!

Watching androids gently fall asleep makes me sleepy.

The Odyssey on Red River dlc.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 09:51:28 AM »
They had ads all over football and baseball yesterday which got me all hot. Looking forward to beers on your couch and catching up on this.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »
Man...still good, but a serious slow burn. I feel like I should check in at the end of the season talking about how much it blew my mind...but only, you know, in hindsight.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 11:22:29 AM »
This is what we're watching next time I'm up.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 11:43:06 AM »
Eh...  So far,  it lacks rewatchability for me. I mean,  we really have spent 210 minutes exploring the initial hint of one tiny computer glitch and everyone's slow reaction to it while slowly fleshing out back story.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 11:44:40 AM »
Oh, okay. Missus RC and will dig it up for a marathon. She was intrigued by the trailer, and I always like to jump on sci-fi shows she seems interested in.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 11:47:34 AM »
I'd wait till the end of the season. Because there's either going to be a payoff that blows us away or we'll find out that they're just yanking our chain.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 08:44:01 AM »
Okay... Westworld is starting to lose me.

Not only is it moving at a snail's pace, but it's just poorly done in terms of writing. Examples:

All the higher ups are, in one way or another, obsessed with the Hosts achieving full-on self awareness. These same people are then surprised when that self-awareness appears to be dawning. Hopkins has flip-flopped twice from "we're doing something special!" to "they're just fucking machines! get over it!"

Meanwhile the quality control people who do suspect something are woefully underused. They feel like characters that the studio forced on the show just so that there was some accountability amidst all the mad scientists and now the writers are ignoring them till they need them for an action scene. Therefore, any sort of internal mystery is lost because we're fed the motivations up front: Hopkins is a shut-in lunatic. Our other guy lost his son and is looking for a replacement child in all the Hosts. Lather generously, rinse, repeat. (Or, in MST3K parlance: Seen it! Taped it!)

Meanwhile, the Glitch (i.e., the burgeoning self-awareness)is hidden because Hopkins just installed an update and everyone's having trouble tracking the Hosts. A few problems here:

1) We had a whole episode about rolling back the update, so...?

2) The update has blinded the computers so the techs can tell if a Host is leaving their programmed loop but they can't tell if the Host is with a Guest or not. But they are able to tell every single little thing going on around them. Now...look... When I stay at the hotel for a book convention, the hotel staff have a pretty clear idea of all my movements and actions. But in this near future artificial world being monitored constantly by high-res satellites they can't find Hosts or figure out if Hosts are with Guests?

More on #2 there -- they can literally follow a Host across the game grid using the satellites, so then when they go to retrieve it it turns into a two day fucked up misadventure?

Also, if they're having such trouble keeping track of everyone, how come they know everything Ed Harris is doing down to his every breath. It's like he's being monitored closer than the Hosts. He goes to blow open a cell door and before it can blow up the request for an explosion goes to the control room and they have to approve it. Wow! Meanwhile, across the map, they can't figure out where their actual chipped, tracked by satellite robot is.

We have finally gotten more of Ed Harris's story. He's...yes, a mad scientist trying to get the machines to reach their self-awareness plateau like pretty much everyone else in the show, though with a fountain of youth twist that makes about as much sense as if it were written just moments before the scene was shot.

Also, having Ed Harris want to fuck up the park in some way is especially odd when the computers relay his farts to 30 people in the control room. 

Overall -- the cast is overcrowded, the show doesn't know how to tell its story and is trying to hard to remove itself from the franchise's story, and the pacing is glacial.

We have six more episodes. I'm going to try and stick it out... But the show is coming very close to personal cancellation for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2016, 05:04:41 PM »
Jeez...this show is getting hard to watch. Still haven't watched last week's episode because I simply don't want to. And the nerd-o-sphere is agreeing with me.

So much for replacing GoT, HBO! Next!