Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 11121 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Westworld
« on: August 10, 2015, 02:48:58 PM »
Giving HBO's Westworld it's own thread because who are we fooling? We're all going to watch at least the pilot.

This 30-second tease doesn't show enough to turn my dials too far up, but there's certainly enough here to pique my interest.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Westworld
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 07:41:57 AM »
I can tell right away that this one's more about the politics/conspiracy of Futureworld.

And that we're a long way from Yul Brenner.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 05:14:05 PM »
These type of announcements usually mean trouble in paradise, though after this much production it seems like we'll at least see it someday.

http://movieweb.com/westworld-hbo-tv-stops-production-2016/

HBO's ‘Westworld’ Stops Production; 2016 Premiere Still Set

HBO announced today that production on its highly-anticipated series Westworld has been shut down for two months, but the network is still confident that the show will debut sometime this year. Variety reports that the production was temporarily shut down to give series creators Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy Nolan a chance to catch up with writing the scripts for the last four episodes. Filming was originally scheduled to wrap in November of last year, but shooting is now set to resume in March. Take a look at the network's brief statement below.

"As we head into the final phase of production on Westworld, we've made the decision to take a brief hiatus in order to get ahead of the writing."

The show is based on the 1973 sci-fi film Westworld, which centers on an amusement park where visitors can live out their wildest fantasies, with the help of androids. Anthony Hopkins is playing the eccentric park owner, with a supporting cast that includes Ed Harris, Evan Rachel Wood, Ingrid Bolsø Berdal, James Marsden, Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright, Miranda Otto, Rodrigo Santoro, Shannon Woodward, Clifton Collins Jr., Ben Barnes, Jimmi Simpson, Angela Sarafyan and Simon Quarterman. Lisa Joy previously revealed that the series is a mix of the sci-fi and Western genres, while Jonathan Nolan added that Westworld is a place where anything can happen.

Westworld was first ordered to series in November 2014, and fans got a first look video from the series back in August. The network was previously targeting a 2015 premiere date, but that was later pushed to an unspecified date in 2016. While the network still contends the show will be released sometime this year, it isn't known when they are targeting the series premiere to air.

Westworld encountered a bit of controversy last year when it was revealed that the series was requiring extras to be, "fully nude and/or witness others fully nude and participate in graphic sexual situations." Actor's union SAG-AFTRA also sent out a notice to its members, in response to this document. The notice informs their members that the SAG-AFTRA Agreement allows actors to withdraw their consent to appear in scenes involving nudity and sexual situations at any time before these scenes are filmed. The union's agreement also stipulates that the set must be closed during these scenes, and that no still photographs may be taken without the consent of the actor. The series resolved this issue with the union by revising their original document.

Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy created the series, based on the original film, with J.J. Abrams, Jerry Weintraub and Bryan Burk serving as executive producers. Do you think that HBO will be able to release Westworld sometime later this year? Chime in with your thoughts, and stay tuned for more updates on this upcoming series.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 11:08:20 AM »
They're totally going to recycle everything from the 70s series.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 11:46:27 AM »
Nacho sent me an excited text about the Westworld trailer last night while I was going to sleep.  I'm glad I waited until this morning to watch it because the adrenaline rush it gave me would have kept me awake for a long time.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 12:54:12 PM »
Between that and an amazing GoT episode, I was up till 1am in general geek mode.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »
This is going to be pretty good, I think.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »
Yes. Looks amazing.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 07:41:45 AM »
The latest:

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 11:29:53 AM »
I'm excited for this simply because of the actors.  However, I'm still not quite sure what it's about.  And I've read a bunch of stuff on it.  Let me see if I get this right.  Anthony Hopkins creates a VR dream world using people he creates.  This world is then an attraction park for the uber rich to live out their fantasies.  However the people he creates start to become self aware and chaos ensues.  Does that sum it up?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »
I'm excited for this simply because of the actors.  However, I'm still not quite sure what it's about.  And I've read a bunch of stuff on it.  Let me see if I get this right.  Anthony Hopkins creates a VR dream world using people he creates.  This world is then an attraction park for the uber rich to live out their fantasies.  However the people he creates start to become self aware and chaos ensues.  Does that sum it up?

Woah.... Have you never seen Westworld before? Shit, man, watch that on streaming ASAP. It's a classic icon of 70s sci-fi (and you'll recognize immediately that it's basically inspired a large sub-genre of our modern sci-fi).

So Westworld is about a theme park that's a sort of hybrid between Jurassic Park and Logan's Run -- a vast, enclosed environment that's split into several sections, which includes "westworld" and "medieval world" (we don't see the others).

It's the near-ish future and people pay through the wazoo to spend their vacation in these closed environments (which appear to be well out in the middle of a desert, though some fans suggest that they could be on another planet). The parks are populated by androids who play out all the expected roles for the benefit of their human guests. So there are prostitutes, outlaws, sheriffs, etc. You pay for a package where you can either just be a wandering cowpoke, or you can get involved in a classic old style western shoot-em-up and save the town adventure (which our two main characters in the movie do).

The entire park is run by a massive underground complex where the androids are constantly monitored and repaired and so on. Subplot B is the park owner, in classic park owner style, ignoring his scientists who are telling him that the androids are malfunctioning more and more often and they're not sure why.

These malfunctions, of course, lead to the androids going insane and they start exterminating all of the human guests. The control center gets shut down (apparently by a maniac computer, but I never really understood why) and everyone is killed. Our heroes now have to fight android Yul Brenner. (It's The Terminator, basically. In fact, in some respects, it's exactly, shot-for-shot, The Terminator.)

The sequel, Futureworld, introduced an element of conspiracy to all this. The perfectly human-like androids were being used by a corrupt corporation to infiltrate the world's governments and an intrepid reporter set out to stop them. This was basically Invasion of the Body Snatchers redux.

The first TV show ran with the Futureworld take on the franchise -- evil organization running a theme park but really using the human-like androids to take over the world. Rinse, repeat.

So I don't quite know the theme of the new show. We have Jacob from Lost entering Westworld like in the movie, we have androids and all the stuff from the original movie playing out. But it looks like the androids don't know they're androids, which is very modern sci-fi of them. So perhaps, once they become self-aware, they go on the rampage? (They are androids, though, not VR constructs, as you see in the latest trailer where we get Terminator hands and the dead android dumping ground.)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 12:43:58 PM »
Oh, and the whole "Remember, they're not real" thing is an homage to the movie. It's frequently said by our main hero to our reluctant hero, and used to make the end of Act 1 all the more shocking. So, when I see that in the trailer, I see Yul Brenner suddenly using real bullets and not dying in my mind.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
Oh! And trailer comparison:

Also Roman World. Forgot about that one. And we do actually see it in the movie... Though it's at a point where Yul Brenner is really scary so I forgot it.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »
One could argue that Westworld introduced concepts that Crichton perfected in Jurassic Park... if one had read Westworld. (Which I have not. I have read Jurassic Park... many times.) But based on the origin Yul Brenner movie, all the conceits are there; the theme park out of control, the corrupt corporate interests, the undercurrent of man's small place in the natural order, and how laughable his attempts to control reality are.

The original Westworld is definitely worth a watch. So ahead of it's time.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:53:07 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 12:53:54 PM »
One could argue that Westworld introduced concepts that Crichton perfected in Jurassic Park... if one had read West world. (Which I have not. I have read Jurassic Park... many times.) But based on the origin Yul Brenner movie, all the conceits are there; the theme park out of control, the corrupt corporate interests, the undercurrent of man's small place in the natural order, and how laughable his attempts to control reality are.

The original Westworld is definitely worth a watch. So ahead of it's time.

And once the action starts, it still holds up. God, Brynner is the one and only maniac robot in my eyes!

In the context of the new show, interestingly, the main girl appears to be filling Brynner's shoes. Between the lines, there's an element to Westworld that is sort of Brynner-robot's journey of self-discovery. He comes back twice, but conforms to the rules. Then the third time is when he breaks free.