Author Topic: 2016 Roundup  (Read 50595 times)

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
Re: 2016 Roundup
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2015, 10:41:25 AM »
I've been following this thread, and as the "resident Republican" let me say this.  First, I'm not that type of Republican.  I lean more towards a Libertarian stance.  But as that's not an option in our current two party system, I'm labeled a Republican.  If Trump gets the nomination then I'll continue to do what I've been doing for the past year.  Shake my head, and get really really upset about something I can't control.  Maryland will go Dem...no matter what.  So it really doesn't matter on the Presidential ticket who I vote for.  It's the more local elections that have a true effect on my life.  Trumps a ridiculous clown, Hillary is old guard, and I don't agree with her politics.  She's running simply because she thinks it's owed to her.  She doesn't really want it, she's like a child who sees another kid playing with a toy and then wants that toy.  Usually in an election there is at least one candidate who wants the job simply because they think they can fix the country.  I may not agree with their ideas (Obama) or their methods (Bush) but I understand and appreciate their desire to do what they feel is best for the country.  I get that...and I don't see it in a single candidate this year.  Trump wants it because he's bored, rich, and doesn't know what else to do.  Hillary wants it because Bill had it, Carson...he wants it for the same reason Trump does.  He's rich, egotistical, and bored.  Worse is that he doesn't know jack shit about governing.  Trump doesn't either but at least he's got some business sense behind him.  Jeb wants it for the same reason Hillary does (he thinks it's owed to him).   All the others will fade away in time.   

All this being said, my one hope (and I know it won't happen) is Trump gets the nomination.  Turns to the camera and says "you all nominated me...you're fools, you're all fools"  "Did you hear what I said, did you listen to the shit spewing out of my mouth?  This is what needs to be fixed...stop electing people through fear mongering"  **drops mic****

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2015, 10:58:15 AM »
So Trump for you, because MD is a blue state and the president doesn't matter?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2015, 11:09:11 AM »
If the GOP had an honest to god viable moderate candidate, I'm not sure Hilary is electable. She's so divisive. But running against Trump? Or Cruz? I think Carson by the very nature that he's  black shakes up the demographics even as he does spew nonsense.

Sirharles kind of makes my point: Tump makes good TV, but no one really takes him seriously. I guess that's what's scary because this "clown" could be president if we all keep going along with the joke.

All that said, I think it's Hilary's election to lose.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2015, 11:21:50 AM »
So Trump for you, because MD is a blue state and the president doesn't matter?

No...I wouldn't vote because it doesn't matter.  I'd only vote in the local stuff.  And yes the president matters, but my vote in my state for president doesn't.  And yes, if everyone felt the same as I did then blah blah blah...but I don't care.  Maybe I'm just pissy because this is nothing more than who can shout into the microphone the loudest, or maybe because I'm having a bad day, or maybe I'm a dick.  Don't know...don't care.  I'm so fucking disenfranchised by our government that I've stopped caring.  They won.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2015, 11:36:25 AM »
It's sad that it's come to that. (I feel the same.)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »
The government hasn't won. The corporations are the ones who have their fingers in everything.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »
The government hasn't won. The corporations are the ones who have their fingers in everything.

One and the same these days.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2015, 09:09:52 AM »
If the 'youth' of America get out to vote then Sanders will almost certainly win... *if*.

However, if Sanders did win, I'm pretty sure his 'age' will see his heart attack within a few months from 'stress' - just like Pope John-Paul I.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2015, 10:02:02 AM »
Here's the problem with Sanders: Politically, my views are most in line with him. However, I likely won't vote for him because I don't think he has the political capital to win and even if he does, he's too "fringe" to create a coalition in Congress and the Senate to get anything accomplished. (I feel a Trump or a Cruz would have the same problem. When's the last time we've really had an anything but a moderate in the Presidential office? FDR? Hell, Coolidge?

There are many, many people who think this way about the Bern, by the way. Though the news wants it to be Hillary versus somebody so he's also running against the media conglomerate as well as the other candidates.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2015, 10:07:08 AM »
So... a politician with whom you agree on many issues isn't the guy you'd vote for because [enter excuses] and thus he won't get elected, subsequently you would vote for somebody with whom you don't agree because [enter excuses]?
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2015, 10:12:43 AM »
Yeah, RC. What Monkey said.

Oh, and who isn't fringe in this election? Even Hillary will be locked in the usual forever war with Congress which will lead to the same results. When was the last time the president had a functional coalition in Congress? Clinton, for a few months. Reagan, for a few years. Nixon, for a few months...

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2015, 12:01:58 PM »
If it's Bernie vs. Trump, of course I'm going to vote for Bernie. I just don't think he's capable of beating the Clinton machine in the primaries.

I live in Virginia, so my primary never matters in the overall scheme of things. The general election however does, and by that point it's be Lenin vs. Hitler, so I'll vote the party line.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2015, 12:43:58 PM »
So the general mood of the voting public is:

"X doesn't matter because of Y, and A and B are going to get it so I'll just do as I'm told."

Man, there's more emotional investment in voting people off Big Brother... We really are in trouble, aren't we?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2015, 12:50:26 PM »
We've been brainwashed. I say this to people and they look at me like I'm insane, but to me it isn't even debatable.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2015, 01:02:40 PM »
Of course we have been! And in that non-linear way, they even tell us they're brainwashing us. Which makes it odd that people have the reaction that you describe. After all, it's the theme of just about show on TV at the moment.