Author Topic: Office Ergonomics  (Read 7370 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Office Ergonomics
« on: July 15, 2014, 07:29:13 PM »
So, because I've been spending way too much time at my computer lately, I've reconfigured my workspace into a "standing desk" setup. I thought a bout a ball chair, then I saw a dude's makeshift standing desk and decided to rig one myself.  This post is the first thing I'm typing on it.

Anyway, has anyone else done it? I'm curious to see fi it makes me more productive. It certainly can't make my ass hurt any more.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
Re: Office Ergonomics
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 06:22:44 AM »
Hemingway used to write standing up at his typewriter.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 08:36:38 AM »
Dickens would physically act out scenes from his books after he wrote them.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 09:43:21 AM »
I'm a notorious pacer anyway so I might as well be standing.

Shoes are a must. Even if I work in my pajamas, I'll have to wear shoes.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »
I've always wanted to do this:

http://www.cnet.com/news/my-life-with-a-treadmill-desk-e-mail-and-browsing-at-2-mph/

I even tried to pitch treadmill work stations to our "health and wellness" officer here and got a few people behind me...

The desk he's using is $2000, which is usually why this idea is stillborn:

http://www.lifespanfitness.com/tr1200-dt7-treadmill-desk.html

But I am keenly aware that a healthy life = around 10,000 steps a day, and we're all lucky if we do half that. (That's not just modern health mumbo jumbo, Victorian doctors were keen to prescribe a "10 mile a day" plan (20,000 steps) as preventative medicine.)

Just simply standing doesn't do much. If productivity is the goal, that's something that comes from your head not your physical position.  Your feet aren't writing, your back isn't answering emails. What keeps you alive is heart, lungs, and all stuff that is still not getting a workout for 7 hours a day even if you're standing.

The next spare 2k I get will go towards a treadmill in my office.   

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 10:35:10 AM »
That's all well and good...I have a treadmill, but there's just no way I can set up a desk with it and be able to do the editing I need.  Even with a table top or something holding all my computers and tablets I still need my hand to be as steady as possible to do the photo editing.  Maybe something like this would work for the day job (not that my boss would ever allow me to do it) but certainly not for photography.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »
That's all well and good...I have a treadmill, but there's just no way I can set up a desk with it and be able to do the editing I need.  Even with a table top or something holding all my computers and tablets I still need my hand to be as steady as possible to do the photo editing.  Maybe something like this would work for the day job (not that my boss would ever allow me to do it) but certainly not for photography.

Well, obviously it's not a perfect match for every profession!

Between home and work I spend ten hours a day reading shit on the screen, writing, and responding to emails. 90% of my time on the computer is basically spent staring at the monitor.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 11:02:02 AM »
Dickens would physically act out scenes from his books after he wrote them.

But Dickens was a cunt.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
I would disagree! He's fascinating. He self-published the Pickwick Papers and sold them door-to-door, he constantly spit in the eye of the publishing industry, was one of the few voices for social reform in the era, was a great humanitarian, and went charmingly insane after a train crash.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:12:16 AM »
I still love you, even if you're wrong.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 11:13:42 AM »
Sister raper.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 01:47:42 PM »

Just simply standing doesn't do much. If productivity is the goal, that's something that comes from your head not your physical position.  Your feet aren't writing, your back isn't answering emails. What keeps you alive is heart, lungs, and all stuff that is still not getting a workout for 7 hours a day even if you're standing.

Sitting is bad you for you; bad for your circulation, your guts, and your ass. Standing without being in pain for any length of time forces you to use good posture and engage your core. It's far better than sitting. I liked it a lot for he one night I did it. (On a  job today.) It's less about standing and getting exercise than it is simply not sitting.

But yeah, the treadmill thing seems the way to go.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 02:15:16 PM »
Sister raper.

If you had a sister I would.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 12:08:30 AM »
3 of my colleagues at work have converted to stand-up setups at work. Seeing if it lasts with them.

I don't think I could do it.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »
The good news is I fuck around less because standing at the desk is tiring. I've also worked in my office less and on my laptop more.

Part of that is simple procrastination of the work I have to do on that machine... like pages and pages of writing.