Author Topic: Aquarius  (Read 1903 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Aquarius
« on: June 21, 2014, 11:23:01 PM »
It's like I'm always riding somebody's coattails...

http://www.nbc.com/aquarius

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
Re: Aquarius
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »
Split this into it's own thread since I'm sure I'll be watching.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/david-dochovny-charles-manson-game-of-thrones-1201238349/

“Game of Thrones” actor Gethin Anthony is set to play Charles Manson on NBC’s new drama “Aquarius” starring David Duchovny.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 09:15:33 PM »
It's like I'm always riding somebody's coattails...

http://www.nbc.com/aquarius

The problem is that you take too long! I want to see a 9 month turnaround of all your ideas from now on. Also, start keeping a suicide journal, because that'll be fun to read from at your funeral.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 11:25:40 PM »

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 09:22:20 PM »
So, it makes me feel good actually that themes in The Last of the Manson Girls are tuned in to the same themes as Aquarius.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/david-duchovny-charlie-manson-x-files-aquarius-nbc-1201403672/

David Duchovny On NBC’s Manson-Family Drama ‘Aquarius': “I Did ‘The X Files’ – Nothing Creeps Me Out”

NBC’s new Aquarius, about a cop working in Los Angeles at the time of the rise of cult leader Charles Manson, originally was envisioned as a novel series, creator John McNamara said this afternoon. Until Marty Adelstein told him it was a terrible idea, because in a novel you can’t hear the music and music was one of the main characters. “That was 2008 and we’ve been developing it ever since,” McNamara said.

One year ago last month, NBC announced that, following the end of his Showtime series Californication, David Duchovny would reunite with former Showtime topper Bob Greenblatt for the period drama. NBC gave the event series a 13-episode straight-to-series order, marking a return to broadcast TV for Duchovny, who starred in Fox’s hit The X-Files, with which Greenblatt also was involved as a Fox exec at that time.

The series is “not purely about Manson,” McNamara cautioned, calling it a “work of historical fiction.”

The show begins when Duchovny’s police detective character first hears about Manson, who has been arrested for pimping. “Charlie Manson was nothing, until he became Charlie Manson,” Duchovny told reporters during his show’s allotted 15 minutes of speed dating with reporters at NBCU Summer Press Day. The show, he added, is a ” ’60s procedural,” which he found interesting because the police force “doesn’t have access to all this bullshit CSI to solve cases. You have to use your brains and do police work and …we get to crack some heads too. Then we’ve got this guy named Charlie Manson turning into something over here while we’re looking away too much.”

Duchovny, who was the oldest cast member onstage and therefore the only one alive at the time of the Manson Family murders, said the man “has come to represent a look back at the ’60s, as if looking for something – trying to figure out something from the ’60s that we haven’t figured out yet.” The actor theorized Manson pushed the country to the “Reagan… and Bush” right, because the headline-grabbing murder of actress Sharon Tate and others represented to many “what happens when hippies take over — mayhem, madness. As a country we keep coming back to this point,” Duchovny added.

Asked if working on the series had creeped him out, Duchovny responded, “I did The X-Files — nothing creeps me out.”

“Speaking thereof– ” the reporter continued.

“No, no — we’ll do that later, but not now,” Duchovny interrupted, anticipating a question about Fox’s recently announced The X Files reboot as a six episode event series. “I should have said, ‘I did Californication – nothing creeps me out’.”

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 10:15:11 AM »
Premiere night! Everyone's been pretty tight-lipped about it and no pre-reviews from the usual sites I trust, except AV Club.

That used to mean it's probably horrible, but I wonder if the rules have changed. Seems like, these days, if it's an abomination like Supergirl someone leaks it early to "punish" the show.

Some pre-reviews from major media types say Duchovny is great but the show's handling of the period and Manson is "awkward and sleazy."

NBC is doing something interesting after tonight's premiere... They're dumping the entire series online. Does that count as a burnoff? Or their misguided attempt to cash in on the binge-watch bandwagon...which doesn't make too much sense if you're just giving everything away for free.

AV Club suggests that Manson is "overly tame":

But then there’s that damn Manson, spoiling everything again. Even beyond the weirdness of characters casually referring to “Charlie Manson” as though he were Joe Anybody, Aquarius struggles with how to integrate the Manson family into the action without diminishing the evil still to come. It’s most successful when it sticks to the small details, like the squalid conditions of the Manson compound, or how touchy he could be about his rock-star dreams. It’s less effective when it’s making Manson into a dark criminal mastermind, growing in power episode by episode.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:23:23 AM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »
This show is really, really bad. I quit after the first hour of the tedious, mumbling, hot mess of a pilot.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 01:42:42 AM »
Just watched the two hour pilot. I mean, I get historical fiction and changing facts to tell your story. However, I'm so steeped in Manson lore and 1960s history that my brain can't handle how much they're messing with.

Missus RC is into it so we'll keep watching I guess.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 07:38:57 AM »
I don't know how you sat through the whole two hours. I could barely get past the 60s music medley. Did we get the entire Fear & Loathing soundtrack in the first 5 minutes?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 12:55:28 PM »
It's trying way too hard.

"Hey guys, it's the 1960s!! No, over here. It's 1967!"

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 12:57:43 PM »
Let's talk about the Thriller/Game of Thrones mash-up instead!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 11:44:43 PM »
I made it through episodes 2 & 3 of CSI: Spahn Ranch. Some observations:

1.) They've done their research and drop little nuggets of Manson lore like the Spiral Staircase, the song Manson sang to Sadie Atkins when they first met, and Charlie's penchant for foot kissing. Therefore I can only assume that the decision to go completely off the rails is a conscious one. The casual viewer will probably think "This is how it really was!" This is a comment on our ignorance of recent history more than anything else.

2.) I'd watch David Duchovny read a phone book. He's hands down the best part of the show and maybe the only thing that keeps it from being utterly terrible instead of just not good.

3.) The show is most interesting actually when it gets away from the Manson stuff and becomes a 60s counterculture era cop show. Episode 3 might be the gateway episode. It's about a drug dealer who gets killed, and the heroin addict who gets framed for it. Duchovny and his partner have to figure out who the real killer is. Manson is the B-story. It's actually pretty interesting if not a stock kind of CSI/NCIS/Law & Order storyline. Yet the 60s setting gives the proceedings a nuance your average CSI episode doesn't have. A subplot about Duchovny's soldier son who's gone AWOL from is particularly interesting.

4.) Missus RC is totally invested, though she said, "Manson is the chocolate cake in the window that got me in the door. But Duchovny is the $50 truffle that I actually end up buying." (That's a paraphrase, but you get the point.)

5.) All the actors are way too modern in their mannerisms and attitude. It probably doesn't bother the casual viewer, but the culture and social mores were different in 1967, yet the performance style doesn't reflect that. Duchovny seems to be the only one that gets it and he;s playing holdover from the 40s/50s.

6.) I'm always relieved when every episode ends. I think I want to like it and am trying to like it, but ultimately I don't really like it.

7.) There's a cautionary tale about my own Manson project here. That they've gone so far off the story makes it inaccessible to me on a major level. I imagine there are folks that will feel the same about LotMG.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 08:36:10 AM »
It drives me bonkers that you invest your time in stuff like this when there's so much amazing shit out there to watch!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 03:27:24 PM »
The Aquarius renewal slipped under my radar. I haven't gone back to it since my last post.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/nbc-adds-second-season-of-charles-manson-drama-aquarius-1201528398/

NBC Renews David Duchovny Drama ‘Aquarius’ for Season 2

NBC is still celebrating the age of “Aquarius,” and has given a second season to the drama that stars David Duchovny as a cop investigating Charles Manson in 1960s Los Angeles.

The period drama also made broadcast history for using a modern technique when it debuted earlier this year — NBC released the entire first season on its digital platforms after the season premiere, marking the first major network to utilize the binge-watching model, launched by the likes of Netflix and Hulu. The digital release resulted in the first episode being the most-watched summer series premiere ever on NBC.com and the NBC App.

While it’s unlikely that the binge strategy will be used for season two, since they achieved their goal of generating enough buzz and viewers with the initial binge-season, it is something the brass are very proud of and will likely prompt other broadcasters to follow suit with upcoming series launches.

“With its riveting drama and innovative release strategy, ‘Aquarius’ has excited the critics, hooked millions of viewers and energized our summer,” said NBC Entertainment president Jennifer Salke. “It’s no secret that the way people watch television is evolving, so we took a unique approach to how we delivered ‘Aquarius,’ and it’s driven some record numbers for NBC Digital and helped us reach viewers who might have otherwise overlooked a great summer drama.”

Duchovny, a TV fan-favorite, is also a draw for the network, as he’ll be sure to garner continued interest from his long-time fans with Fox’s upcoming “X-Files” reboot, which debuts early next year.

While no episode order has been given to the second season of “Aquarius,” another short order seems likely, following the 13 episodes for Season 1. Duchovny recently told Variety he’s privy to shorter orders, saying, “I would never have gone and done another 22 episodes of ‘X-Files, but we’re going to do six — well, that’s like doing a movie. That’s like continuing the show in a way that we all can do at this point in our lives so that’s it all came about.”

“Aquarius” also stars Gethin Anthony as Manson, Emma Dumont, Grey Damon and Claire Holt. Writer John McNamara serves as exec producer with Marty Adelstein, Melanie Greene and Duchovny. The series is produced by Tomorrow Studios, a joint partnership between Marty Adelstein and ITV Studios.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 04:10:29 PM »
I'm actively ignoring it!