Author Topic: Superhero TV  (Read 21391 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Re: Superhero TV
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2018, 06:44:55 PM »
Speaking of infantile awfulness...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2018, 07:24:50 AM »
Blorg.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2018, 10:49:46 AM »
Krypton... I kind of liked it. It made me wonder if it's a rejected plot for a Doctor Who prequel, though. But that might be because I don't understand the DC universe. Like I don't know who Adam Strange is, or Brainiac, or any of that stuff. As is increasingly common with superhero stories these days, I found that the music and story cues introducing these characters is lost on me because I have to go Wiki them afterwards to figure out why they're important.

But, besides that, the pilot was a solid hour of fun. I like getting away from Earth, I like sci-fi, and it's all built around a simple hero's journey premise. Inoffensive and well crafted.

Oh...and Wallis Day makes me feel funny.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2018, 11:13:25 AM »
So I had to give up on Krypton. The breaking point was when General Zod traveled from the future to help Superman's grandfather save Krypton...

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2018, 12:47:08 PM »
I know the first season scarred you Nacho, but this look really good. Makes me want to go back and watch the first two seasons.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2018, 09:40:25 AM »
Okay, fine. Go ahead and swallow 20 hours of crap to catch up with the season that should have been the tone of the show all along.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2019, 05:33:39 PM »
My boner for this is huuuuuge, though not huge enough to sign up for DC's streaming service. Does the jolly roger still fly?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2019, 10:50:32 AM »
It does.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2019, 11:38:34 AM »
First episode of the new Swamp Thing does a really good job of taking all the disparate elements of Swamp Thing and tweaking them so they all exist in the same world. Holland, Abby Arcane, Matt Cable, Sunderland Corporation; I was very happy with how they're trying to put it all together from the get-go wherein the comic books it was all added in dribs and drabs. Not sure if this is Swamp Thing as elemental or Swamp Thing as Holland turned into plant-man. (The comics have gone back and forth on this.) They're very obviously going to try and ape the Alan Moore run which frankly is fine by be. Jason Woodrue/Floronic Man is set to show up. (They showed him in the trailer.) No Anton Arcane yet, but I can't imagine they won't go there.

Abbie is our eyes and ears. She's a CDC worker sent back to her hometown to investigate some weird disease outbreak linked to the swamp. The Sunderlands, particularly a Virginia Madsen with horrifying plastic surgery playing Missus Sunderland, blame Abbie for the death of their daughter Shawna years ago. Alec Holland is around working for Sunderland and uncovers that he's the one poisoning the Swamp and making people sick. He and Abby team up, but we all know it's going to end badly for him.

They've jettisoned Holland's wife Linda, and I get the impression that Shawna Sunderland will serve her narrative purpose. We'll see.

It's well done. The story clips along well. Again, I'm impressed with how they got the ball rolling. The problem is going to be sustaining the story and effects before getting cancelled.

RC says check it out.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 05:09:37 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2019, 01:39:45 PM »
So much to watch...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2019, 02:07:50 PM »
First episode of the new Swamp Thing does a really good job of taking all the disparate elements of Swamp Thing and tweaking them so they all exist in the same world. Holland, Abby Arcane, Matt Cable, Sunderland Corporation; I was very happy with how they're trying to put it all together from the get-go wherein the comic books it was all added in dribs and drabs. Not sure if this is Swamp Thing as elemental or Swamp Thing as Holland turned into plant-man. (The comics have gone back and forth on this.) They're very obviously going to try and ape the Alan Moore run which frankly is fine by be. Jason Woodrue/Floronic Man is set to show up. (They showed him in the trailer.) No Anton Arcane yet, but I can't imagine they won't go there.

Abbie is our eyes and ears. She's a CDC worker sent back to her hometown to investigate some weird disease outbreak linked to the swamp. The Sunderlands, particularly a Virginia Madsen with horrifying plastic surgery playing Missus Sunderland, blame Abbie for the death of their daughter Shawna years ago. Alec Holland is around working for Sunderland and uncovers that he's the one poisoning the Swamp and making people sick. He and Abby team up, but we all know it's going to end badly for him.

They've jettisoned Holland's wife Linda, and I get the impression that Shawna Sunderland will serve her narrative purpose. We'll see.

It's well done. The story clips along well. Again, I'm impressed with how they got the ball rolling. The problem is going to be sustaining the story and effects before getting cancelled.

RC says check it out.

And...cancelled. May not even complete the first season. Universal hatred for this one!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2019, 02:55:34 PM »
Not *universal* hatred. Reviews were good. The problem is that DC can't support a streaming channel. Nobody but Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and Disney can... which is why everybody starting one seems insane to me.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2019, 02:04:29 PM »
I'm three episodes in on Swamp Thing and it continues to be really well done. No mindblowingly groundbreaking. Not "OMG Twist!" Not a reinvention of anything that's come before. Just solid storytelling with compelling characters, and nicely intertwined plotlines. They've very smartly avoided the "monster of the week" trope and instead slowly build from each week to the next. You do get one solid gore-fest moment each week (usually in the third act), but it's all motivated. At this point, it seems unlikely that Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon one is going to swoop in and save it which is a shame.