Author Topic: Superhero TV  (Read 16842 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Superhero TV
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »
Gotham's pilot episode was, surprisingly, okay...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »
So Gotham's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness...

The younger versions of everyone are perfectly cast, and the show's self-awareness of who these people are (or will be) is very well handled. The Penguin's rise to power is deliciously written, Catwoman is underused but so on the nose that it's a pleasure whenever she's on screen, the Riddler gets more and more with each episode. I love these backstories, and I love how they're being handled, but....

Bruce Wayne is a troubled 12 year old. He's kind of why we're here watching, yes? But it's going to be a decade before he does anything except be precocious, so they're going to have to either advance his age and the storyline (and change the actor), or convince us that we should be content with a show that hit a plateau in the first episode.

Likewise, young Jim Gordon -- the show's nominal star -- is also boring without Batman. He's just going to be a goodnik cop who can't quite get ahead until a caped crusader comes on the scene, right? For...the next ten seasons? What he's ended up becoming is very strange -- they're doing it so that Jim Gordon inadvertently creates all of the villains. In the pilot, he's single-handedly responsible for setting both Poison Ivy and the Penguin on their trajectories, and he's got a soft spot for young Selina Kyle, keeping her away from the law.

By trying to paint this portrait of a good cop in a bad town who tries to do right even when, maybe, he shouldn't, the show's creators have somehow managed to paint a picture of Jim Gordon as the father of arch-villainy. This could be interesting if it all came around into a tale of regret that leads him, ultimately, to Batman, but he's so two-dimensional it's agonizing. If this were the complicated tale of Jim Gordon, that would be great. Instead, we get poor man's Russell Crowe chewing away at the scenery while actual capable actors are doing amazing things with comic book bad guys all around him.

We're four episodes in and this show has already done everything it can with the story and is at the end of its rope. In fact, the upcoming episodes devolve into mindless things. Episode six is about how the Penguin adopts the use of umbrellas! We're not even at the halfway point and they're out of ideas.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 07:59:49 AM »
Last night's Gotham at least brought the pot to a boil instead of the long, dull simmer... But, again, now the opposite of my last post is the case -- we're moving too fast if we have to wait 10 years for Batman.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »
Lost syndrome. The show runners have no long term plan.

I had a meter class last week with Morgan Gendel, a Law & Order story editor for years and years and also writer of a couple TNG episodes (most famously "The Inner Light."). He said there' almost never a long term pan for any of these shows though he hopes the success of Game of Thrones will change that.  Game of thrones (he said) is basically just a single hundred-hour-long feature film.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 07:57:28 PM »
Okay, Gotham. You're almost in the groove... Now, remember: More Alfred! More Selina Kyle! Don't stray...

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 03:41:43 PM »
Okay, fine. This looks fun.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 07:45:54 PM »
On the flip side of the superhero coin, Netflix's Daredevil show has potential to be good. We all agree (ad nauseum on GS I think) that TV is where superhero storytelling can really succeed, yes?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 08:37:49 PM »
Yes! Though I hate all the current superhero TV... What's Arrow? Like, for little girls? And The Flash is dumb. And SHIELD hurts... Haven't tried Agent Carter yet, but nobody liked it on my genre blogs...

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 04:14:45 PM »
From the "who knew this was happening" file.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/melissa-benoist-supergirl-cast-cbs-pilot-glee-1201355085/

Melissa Benoist Is Supergirl: CBS Pilot Casts ‘Glee’ Actress In Lead Role

Melissa Benoist got her break when she was cast as a female lead in the William McKinley High School storyline on Glee when most of the Fox dramedy’s original stars saw their characters either move to New York or leave the show.

Now Benoist has landed an even higher-profile leading role that could make her a household name overnight — she has been cast in the title role of CBS’ pilot Supergirl.

Based on the characters from DC Comics, the project, from Warner Bros. TV and studio-based Berlanti Prods., centers on Kara Zor-El (Benoist). Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-El escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin, Superman. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.

Written by Greg Berlanti and Ali Adler, the project went through an extensive casting process, with several young actresses testing for the lead. Benoist had been consistently in the mix, first alongside Claire Holt and more recently considered along with Elizabeth Lail.

Benoist, repped by UTA, Anonymous Content and Frankfurt, Kurnit, Klein & Setz, has a supporting role in the feature Whiplash, which is nominated for five Academy Awards, including Best Picture. She will next be seen in the film The Longest Ride, opposite Britt Robertson and Scott Eastwood.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 04:28:35 PM »
Now, RC! NOW the genre is dead.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »
This is where I probably should keep the fact that I liked the Helen Slater/Faye Dunaway Supergirl to myself, right?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 04:31:53 PM »
This is where I probably should keep the fact that I liked the Helen Slater/Faye Dunaway Supergirl to myself, right?

Um...yes.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 04:32:59 PM »
I'm not saying it's good. I'm saying I liked it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 04:37:07 PM »
So, anyway, how about those Caps, eh?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 04:48:40 PM »
And wearing women's underwear is great. I just like the way it feels.