Author Topic: Utopia  (Read 11706 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Utopia
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2014, 10:14:45 AM »
We've been religiously avoiding it and all news because we're waiting for your stupid ass.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2014, 12:07:03 PM »
I'm unavailable before next week, so pull the trigger and hook me up!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2014, 12:14:26 PM »
You're going to hear aout this.

First two eps will appear in magicland sometime after 5pm tonight.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »
My life is an utter shit show right now, so I'll be happily drunk when the Throne Maiden reams me out for this.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2014, 10:19:22 PM »
Popcorn......popped.

Mrs RC....in pajamas.

Throne Maiden....in pajamas.

Beer and wine....poured.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »
Okay, so the prequel episode far exceeded my expectations.  Rose Leslie sort of humanizes Milner even as the portrayal makes her into more of a monster. It's a painfully human monster. I'm not sure bringing Jessica's "Cristoff" or whatever his name is into it was necessary, but who cares. The evolution of Pietre/Arby was horrifyingly awesome.

Ian McDiarmund's "Anton" has to be older Carvillle. I'm calling it now. I bet we also meet Jessica's Cristoff later.

I have issues with the second episode, most of which I'm willing to forgive if things improve from here on out. I should also note that I was half brain dead from exhaustion when I watched these and they're something of a blur. I need to rewatch.

I feel like they set-up too much, too fast. Should I remember Donaldson? I don't.  He confuses me as to where he came from. (After some research, was he the guy always baiting Becky with Deel's drugs?  Is there a different actor playing him?)

The whole Becky re-introduction was sudden and head scratching. I assume we'll figure out what she's been up to that led us to reacquainting with her right as she's about to leap off a building in Deel's induced depression?  I also don't like Jeff, the head of Corvadt, now being worried about his career. You've been a shady Illuminati for this long and now you're worried about your career? Fuck me.

There's certainly aspects I like. The touch of having Ian back at his old job and leading us into the new adventure the same way he led us into the first was nice. I like his love/hate relationship with Grant. Michael Dugdale ending up in Leten and Letts old office hints as something sinister. Quick introduction aside, I really still like Becky even though Missus RC kind of hates her.

The best bits are with Arby and Jessica. The scene where Lee visits Arby has all the old tension and foreboding of Series 1. It was hands down the best scene of the show. The Lee/Wilson dynamic has the potential to offer some interesting moments. Jessica's Hannibal Lecter style incarceration is also amazing. I can't wait for the escape.

I guess it could have been drawn out in a way that made it more interesting. It feels like too many moving parts at once. The last series led us in more slowly and smoothly. The pacing feels off, and it only really feels like the old Utopia when Jessica and Arby are on screen.

So, yes. We're back. V-Day is coming! You've paid all the lip service to Series 1 you need to and got the old gang back together. (Both way faster than you needed to, I might add.) Let's move on and tell a good story, shall we?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:37:04 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »
Watch it all again.

Arby killed Christoff, remember? That's pre-season one (and why they are hunting Jessica), but we do see it in flashback.

Donaldson is the asshole, "disgraced" doctor that our poor sap brought the severed finger to, and who was blackmailing Becky for the manuscript. He's important. But yes! A new actor. We GoT survivors are used to unannounced actor changes.

Of note is that Becky is not only in London, but with Donaldson. As in, what we suspected about her in the first season is, apparently, somewhat true. Now, Donaldson has done something bad since we last saw him. Milner really wants him dead, eh? It's all about him... So how is Becky involved in that? Surely she knows, because they're both squatting in that abandoned building. Becky and Donaldson are both on the run from Milner's forces. What does Donaldson know? Why are they in hiding? We know he was a player in Corvadt... If Becky is just a poor rube, then why is she putting herself in known danger?

Jeff is not the head of Corvadt -- he's an elected minister and toady. He was also very worried about his career throughout season one. Remember when they asked him to kill Stephen Rea? He's responsible for nationalizing Corvadt so it's run by the government, that's why he's being treated like he's the head.

That scene where he voiced his concern to Milner came right after the sudden and unexpected development where Janus is being administered not to the UK as a test group (as originally planned), but to the entire world all at once. They dropped a bomb on him, and when he finally spoke up they shut him down by tying us in to the first episode -- the realization there (for him) was that The Network controls the entire government at a greater level than he perhaps suspected. I also think it would be feasible for him to worry about his job as an elected official when Milner casually outlines the "harvesting the rich" plan...which was fucking mind-blowing. They're going to kill the 1% to pay for the global dosing. Corrupt politician or not, Milner just told Jeff that his base constituency is going to be turned into Soylent Green.   

I thought both episodes were perfect. This is exactly the pacing the show needs -- season one (and the first episode of this season) was all prologue. We're now into chapter one. Janus is going to be administered on a global level, and episode two was an introduction to our cast and made damn sure we knew and understood where everyone was on the board.

I've seen critics making a Terminator - Terminator II comparison between the seasons.

Episode two's framing, particularly, was excellent. All the crosses!  And did you notice how Becky crossed that sunlit room? Always on the shadows. And our players (antagonists vs. protagonists) are all color coded now.

Yes, that is old Carvel. (Obviously. His handwriting and drawing is the same.) Further, Becky recognizes him.  (And why would Becky recognize him, eh?)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2014, 01:20:24 PM »
Arby killed Christoff, remember? That's pre-season one (and why they are hunting Jessica), but we do see it in flashback.

Oh, I remember. But Carville and Lee were supposed to be dead too, right?

Donaldson is the asshole, "disgraced" doctor that our poor sap brought the severed finger to, and who was blackmailing Becky for the manuscript. He's important. But yes! A new actor. We GoT survivors are used to unannounced actor changes.
The actor change probably accounts for 90% of my confusion and issues in this episode.

Of note is that Becky is not only in London, but with Donaldson. As in, what we suspected about her in the first season is, apparently, somewhat true. Now, Donaldson has done something bad since we last saw him. Milner really wants him dead, eh? It's all about him... So how is Becky involved in that? Surely she knows, because they're both squatting in that abandoned building. Becky and Donaldson are both on the run from Milner's forces. What does Donaldson know? Why are they in hiding? We know he was a player in Corvadt... If Becky is just a poor rube, then why is she putting herself in known danger?

Donaldson was always trying to make a buck and watch the Apocalypse in luxury, so I imagine that's his endgame here. Now that I know who he is, I expect him to double cross the Scooby-gang at some point.

I'll rewatch. I was literally drooling through part of it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »

Oh, I remember. But Carville and Lee were supposed to be dead too, right?

Christoff told Jessica that Carvel was dead, which was invalidated (and explained) in the first episode.

Did you notice that they reshot the scene where Wilson shot Lee to make the wound less life-threatening?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2014, 01:27:02 PM »
I didn't notice the reshoot.

I have a feeling there's a lot I didn't notice.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2014, 07:34:49 PM »
Deleted scene from S2.E2 that actually could help give Grant, you know, something to do.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 08:26:20 AM »
Thank god that was deleted! That's embarrassingly bad... And would have totally fucked the narrative as it is now.

Grant's got plenty to do! In fact, he has the same thing to do as he did in the last half of the first season -- he's part of the faux Ian and Becky nuclear family.

And now, as he was at the start of season one, he'll move into the back half of season two as something of an antagonist, because there's no way he can reconcile with Arby.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2014, 11:21:32 AM »
At this point, Grant is the only character with nothing to do and no agenda. I suppose his relationship with Jessica will come into play when she rejoins the fold. In fact, I can see an Ian rejection of Jessica allowing for a split in which Grant decides to go with Jessica rather than stay with Ian.

Also, Lee keeps telling Arby that he needs to "bring him back in." It occurred to me this AM that the modification Carvel made may also be present in Arby. If they can't get it from Jessica, does the Network think they can get it from Arby?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2014, 11:25:53 AM »
Episode 4 was an emotional roller coaster. I have no idea how all this is going to end up.

I'm glad Donaldson is dead, and after all my complaining about Grant having no narrative function, he ends up being vital to this episode. The theme of Series 2 has been Arby's "There are no friends; just people who help you and people who don't." I fully expect anybody at any moment to stab somebody in the back.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2014, 11:41:18 AM »
I had no problem with Grant prior to this episode because they were clearly building up to that episode four moment. They're very subtly (or maybe it's actually overt, in hindsight) doing the zombie movie trope -- the group's center does not hold. .

I wonder who Carville decided the master race would be... The American version will be "all of us! We're saved!" But I'm afraid that the UK version will be "only cats who can ride Roombas."

Speaking of which, here's the meme that was playing when Carville flipped out. What was cute and funny a few years ago is now stark and ominous to Utopia fans, eh?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:44:12 PM by nacho »