Author Topic: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread  (Read 106749 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread
« Reply #420 on: November 27, 2023, 04:54:36 PM »
The inclusivity problem in recent media isn't that some of these groups are *finally* getting on screen representation. It's that it's wedged in so hamfisted by producers working through white liberal guilt rather than being a natural exploration of the reality minorities exist in. (That episode was written by a white person, I'll bet you a beer.) It's distracting in it's pandering.

Poeple bitched to high heaven that the trans character in the Hogwarts Legacy game was pandering. (And it probably was.) But I wouldn't have known that character was trans if they hadn't told me. The character being trans had no bearing on the story. There was no messaging about their trans-ness. They just happened to be trans. To me it was great representation, because it said "This person is equal to the other person."

Agreed. I have no problems with a female Doctor or a Black Doctor....or a trans Doctor! Or whatever. But it is so obvious that the All-Whyte masters in the boardroom are congratulating themselves like Will Ferrell's Board of Directors at Mattel in Barbie.

Just tell the story! Trust the narrative! Make the inclusivity natural and normal. No need to fucking constantly hang a lampshade on it. That's not normalizing people who live on the fringe, that's cashing in on them and keeping them in a position that is outside of accepted society.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #421 on: December 03, 2023, 08:04:51 AM »
The second 60th Anniversary episode, which is also not a 60th Anniversary episode, is back to straight up Doctor Who. A defend-the-base we-lost-the-TARDIS story.

That's fine except....why is this show so obsessed with Donna Nobel? The Doctor is almost just a supporting character and Donna the companion fills the spotlight. This and how RTD is going on and on about "the heartbreaking and mysterious background story of Ruby," the 15th Doctor's forthcoming companion, has me thinking the show will finally just be about the companions and not the Doctor. It's kind of been that way since the reboot anyway. But it seems like they're really embracing it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #422 on: December 08, 2023, 09:04:14 AM »
We get to meet the 15th Doctor tomorrow. Yay, he says unenthusiastically.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #423 on: December 08, 2023, 01:18:53 PM »
That there is a 15th doctor is totally lost in Tenant madness.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #424 on: December 09, 2023, 11:46:09 AM »
That there is a 15th doctor is totally lost in Tenant madness.

I feel so bad for the poor bastard. The fandom is already up in arms that Donna married a Black man and has a trans kid. If they can't swallow a mixed race couple how in the world will they accept a Black Doctor? He'll get worse treatment than poor Jodie Whittaker, who was basically slut shamed out of the role.

And, already, Russ Davies is saying things like the Christmas episode will be a musical and the new companion Ruby is the real star of the new era. They've sidelined the 15th Doctor before he's even had one minute of screentime!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #425 on: December 10, 2023, 10:33:48 AM »
So... The 14th Doctor doesn't die. Tennant gets to live on with Donna and have his own adventures concurrently with the 15th. Talk about hedging your bets.

15 is just a part of 14, born because two companions helped pull the Doctor in half after his regeneration cycle failed for no particular reason except "it's different this time."

The first thing they ask 15 to do is play a ball game to defeat the Toymaker, who here is retconned not as one of the Eternals but as a multi-dimensional monster who exploited some fabric of space time. Yet he still has Eternal powers in that he's captured the Master in his gold tooth.

15 runs around to all the white people and says "It's okay. I'm here now. You're going to be okay."

Oh, and wheelchair girl stood up and walked around. Gotta pay more attention to that script, writers room!

I have zero desire to watch the Christmas episode.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #426 on: December 12, 2023, 09:38:10 AM »
Just in case you think I'm exaggerating: Here's the Labyrinth ripoff from the forthcoming semi-musical Christmas episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXgnqGTOXTE

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #427 on: December 27, 2023, 12:02:54 AM »
So... I liked the Christmas special! I have a loit to say but am drunk so y0u cunts have t0 wait!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #428 on: December 29, 2023, 11:45:26 AM »
Okay! So the Christmas Special hit all the right marks. 15 is an energetic, young Doctor. Very much shades of Tennant, but also with a dash of the classical era in there -- some 7th Doctor, some 5th.

He did a great job at quickly owning the role. The new companion is wonderful as well. She pretty much stole the show.

For a Christmas special, it was actually fairly dark and violent. Also nice to see. A return to the gothic Who of the 70s would be very welcome. Though I doubt we'll get that.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #429 on: December 29, 2023, 12:59:08 PM »
See, this is what the internet has been saying, but I'm usually prepared for the contrarian Whovian view from you.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #430 on: December 30, 2023, 02:26:16 PM »
See, this is what the internet has been saying, but I'm usually prepared for the contrarian Whovian view from you.

Those fucking 60th specials were disgusting and offensive on every level. So it's also possible I liked the Christmas episode so much simply because it broke that trend.