Author Topic: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread  (Read 42191 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Re: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread
« Reply #375 on: September 10, 2018, 01:36:35 PM »
I think it's very obvious that they're not playing to the larger fandom here, but trying to rope in a new audience. That said, this 30-secoind spot is advertising. (I thought the glass ceiling thing was kind of clever, myself.)

I wouldn't worry about one-off ads. I would worry when you see actual footage or episodes and it's a tonal cluster-fuck. Not saying it will be, but I think the Beeb has a job on their hands to sell this, so they're going out of their way to seem modern and "hip."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #376 on: September 17, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »
I think it's very obvious that they're not playing to the larger fandom here, but trying to rope in a new audience. That said, this 30-secoind spot is advertising. (I thought the glass ceiling thing was kind of clever, myself.)

I wouldn't worry about one-off ads. I would worry when you see actual footage or episodes and it's a tonal cluster-fuck. Not saying it will be, but I think the Beeb has a job on their hands to sell this, so they're going out of their way to seem modern and "hip."

The whole show has lost its way anyway...not sure why I'm complaining!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #377 on: September 20, 2018, 11:07:03 AM »
Okay...that's better.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #378 on: September 24, 2018, 01:01:50 PM »
Man, she's fun.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #379 on: September 24, 2018, 02:35:19 PM »
Man, she's fun.

Yeah. I have a pretty bad crush...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #380 on: September 25, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
So the press screening was last night! So far, the general consensus is that it's the best episode ever.

We're still under the embargo, though. No details, no proper reviews...we haven't even seen the new title sequence!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #381 on: September 30, 2018, 04:53:44 PM »
Tone seems right, no?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #382 on: October 01, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
Tone seems right, no?

Yeah. For all my bitching, the fact is that I love Whittaker and I've been watching this show religiously, through the worst times and the best times, since 1979. So... It really can't go wrong.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #383 on: October 02, 2018, 07:51:29 AM »
Random Twitter link I ran up on... good list though.

https://www.slashfilm.com/13-best-episodes-doctor-who/

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #384 on: October 02, 2018, 10:30:38 AM »
Random Twitter link I ran up on... good list though.

https://www.slashfilm.com/13-best-episodes-doctor-who/

This is such a tough thing. I agree with most of those, but several are heretical to the longer term friends. Such as, "the TARDIS is a woman and we love each other." That episode stands as one of the great problems with NuWho -- the "lonely god" theme, now combined with the even more powerful lonely god (the TARDIS herself) pulling the strings. The whole Clara "impossible girl" storyline ultimately linked back to the TARDIS being not only sentient, but also omnipotent.

The TARDIS has always been semi-self-aware, even as early as 1963. But it's still a tool, and there are many of them. Being reminded of this in Clara's storyline -- where we finally see the hanger bay full of TARDISes on Gallifrey -- makes the whole idea of an omnipotent, god-like TARDIS silly. So the Master's TARDIS is...bent on Satanic evil on purpose? The whole giant fleet of TARDISes are all ultimate all-powerful godheads?

Anyway...ahem. Um. Sorry.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #385 on: October 08, 2018, 12:26:54 PM »
No Who review yet? Have you watched it?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #386 on: October 08, 2018, 01:09:26 PM »
No Who review yet? Have you watched it?

I loved it... But meeting a second cousin today, and meetings all afternoon. Blah... I hate being busy.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #387 on: October 09, 2018, 09:16:22 AM »
So, I don't know if this was just in the US, but we STILL haven't seen the new title sequence!

The Woman Who Fell to Earth was probably one of the more perfect episodes of Doctor Who I have ever seen, and certainly miles above about 90% of NuWho. The ensemble, which I was worried about, was lovingly introduced to us and felt perfectly natural from the get-go. I haven't seen a sci-fi ensemble work this well right out of the gate since Firefly. The three companions are 2018-diverse: A young female indian, a black man with a disability, and an old white guy who's in cancer remission. These are three multilayered companions, each able to do their own thing and add to the team.

Jodie... Oh, my god, Jodie. She was amazing. She owned the role from her first line. She's hot, approachable, positive, energetic. Inevitably, all NuWho Doctors get compared to classic Doctors, and Jodie is clearly in line with the Second Doctor (she even quotes him verbatim when asked about her family). The Second Doctor's effusive mannerisms, tinged occasionally by melancholy, plays perfectly with Whittaker. NuWho has had a tendency to mish-mash Doctors to appease the older fans. Capaldi clearly wanted to be Pertwee, but he was also forced to evoke Hartnell and the War Doctor. Smith was a combination of Troughton and Davison and the Bakers. Etc.

So Troughton alone is a perfect model for Whittaker -- both the Second and the Thirteenth Doctors represent a new era for the show, stepping away from the mired and troubled past.

Best of all -- the fan service is almost sub rosa. I see it because I've been watching the show for 35 years, but a newcomer could leap right in with this episode and not have to know anything except that the Doctor is an immortal time traveling alien. Even the fan service scenes, in that context, play out as new and interesting. People can begin building the legend of Doctor Who just with Whittaker.

We get a new monster, we're without the TARDIS, they even demystify the sonic screwdriver a little bit. Whittaker commands every scene with a bubbly, powerful presence that's simply captivating throughout even an extra-length episode (about 95 minutes), which is very hard to do for NuWho.

Nacho says: Fans and newbies alike should start here and pretend the more heinous mistakes of NuWho never happened...

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 04:03:38 PM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #388 on: October 09, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
So...pursuing the "did the UK get to see the new title sequence" theory, the answer is no -- but the UK "next episode" trailer does have the new theme song. And...it's awesome. It's like the 60s version:

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #389 on: October 09, 2018, 03:58:36 PM »
Wow. Your review is so... hopeful! It *is* the end times.