Author Topic: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread  (Read 40508 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Doctor Who: Season 34: The Capaldi Years
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2014, 11:24:47 AM »
So, during the Peter Davison-hosted pre-Deep breath specials, Davison was taking a tour of the Dalek storage area and they were making a big fuss about the secret Dalek that was under a sheet.

I feared a return of Matt Smith's "New Paradigm Daleks," but, no, it's a classic Dalek! Fully restored from the 1963 serial, and being used in tonight's episode (though the one Dalek we keep seeing is new, so a 1963 flashback I suppose...which should be cool...)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2014, 11:34:22 AM »
So much for being universally loved by the critics. This is actually a bit shocking... And probably quite true. Nostalgia and cash... I still say the problem is the Americanization of the show, which has been ongoing since 2010 but especially ramped up with the 2013 season. The Americanization, by the way, is the cash part of it -- Doctor Who makes more off of BBC America's commercial system than they do off of the bizarrely British BBC system. BBC America, as a company outside of the BBC's normal restrictions, can rake in all those profits and go hog wild. The US is also the larger buyer of DVDs at this point, and pay-for-streaming. So an American Doctor Who is a cash cow. That means, though, that the show becomes more and more like Community's Dr. Spacetime and less and less like the quirky English speculative fiction of the classic era.

While the Telegraph's comments aren't entirely off, I disagree re Capaldi. I kind of think Capaldi's point might be to try to integrate the Britishness with the Americanization. A nod to the classic fans. Then again, cynically, Capaldi might just be an attempt to capture the love of American fans even more, given that Tom Baker is very much America's Doctor.

British newspaper The Telegraph has published a scathing piece on the new Series and Deep Breath in particular.

Benji Wilson, writes:

“Ever since Doctor Who returned in 2005 I have been mystified as to why it is so regularly hailed as a touchstone of British broadcasting. Yet to question Doctor Who’s pre-eminence is a heresy akin to slagging off Julie Walters. The answer to one of television’s most bizarre dogmas lies, I suspect, somewhere between nostalgia and cold, hard cash.”
Wilson is also critical of the show’s writing under the stewardship of Steven Moffat:

“With showrunner Steven Moffat at the reins, Doctor Who is stranded somewhere between complexity and simplicity. It employs some brilliant, grown-up writers who want to thrill and scare and make clever nods to past storylines and Whovian mythology. But ultimately you get a jarring contrast between the banality of the story and the ingenuity of the discourse. At times the dialogue is so pleased with itself that if it were a guest at a dinner party you would stick its face in the soup tureen.”
And believes Peter Capaldi “knows he cannot escape” from the show:

“What of Peter Capaldi, who plays the newly regenerated Doctor? He looked like a very good actor continually surprised to find himself in a children’s programme from which he knows he cannot escape for several years.”

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2014, 11:53:31 AM »
It is somewhat true... if it was Capaldi, I would have laughed it off... I mean... giant T-Rex that would never attain such size... a lizard woman, etc.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2014, 12:13:17 PM »
I don't agree with the Telegraph's uncomfortable Capaldi presumption... He's had a fine, strong career for decades, this role is a childhood dream, and he'll leave Doctor Who about a zillion dollars richer and just live out the remainder of his life like an ex-president. A few thousand here for a convention appearance, a few thousand there for a commercial, a few thousand coming in each month everytime the show uses his face, an episode is repeated in syndication, and the DVD's continue to sell through the roof and get endlessly repackaged by the money-crazed Beeb...

Plus, if it's true that he's doing intros for missing episode releases, he's basically going to become "the face of Doctor Who."

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »
Oh, he'll make a mint.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »
Television critic is a job that ranks slightly above shit shoveler but still below bedpan cleaner.

It's a bias against popular entertainment. Critics of any media wants to be those people who discover something that nobody's ever heard of before them and then are pissed off when no one but them likes it. Then they slag off that simple sugary thing everybody loves out of pure spite rather than trying to see why people gravitate towards it.

Is Doctor Who a silly little show? Yes, it is. Is it's story motivated by money. Of course it is. Yet, is it an enjoyable little show? As long as your head isn't so far up your ass you can't see, Yes, it is.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #141 on: August 31, 2014, 09:54:57 AM »
Into the Dalek is incredibly uneven. It feels like they took a script that wanted to be two hours and crammed as much as they could into 45 minutes.

Once again, Capaldi is the star of the show. Great presence, great delivery, and still very excited to see him as the Doctor. But everything swirling around him is a hot mess, breathlessly trying to rush through what might have been an excellent story.

I was really hoping we'd get a powerhouse episode here because Robot of Sherwood, next week, looks super stupid.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »
Missing episodes rumors...

This time, we get hacked emails from the BFI, which allude to (yet, of course, do not conclusively say anything) an announcement at the end of 2014.

For the Capaldi intros -- the Marco Polo one appears to either be an outtake/extra/scene from a future episode this season. The others remain just rumors.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2014, 10:07:14 AM »
Capaldi (directing) won an Academy Award for this in 94, apparently...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »
In terms of the ongoing storyline with Missy in Paradise, "Robot of Sherwood" is an interesting hint... Though the destination for our bad guys is The Promised Land, we don't see them get there like we have for the last two episodes.

Which right away answers a plot question -- the robots did not die willingly. Soldier girl in Into the Dalek sacrificed herself, and we can presume that the Doctor convinced the Half-Faced Man in Deep Breath to sacrifice himself.

So Missy is collecting the people the Doctor has convinced to sacrifice themselves, versus those he is directly responsible for killing.

That will very nicely play into the overall theme of these first three episodes -- deconstructing the hero myth that has been so carefully crafted around the New Doctor since 2005, and especially since Tennant -- the "lonely god" Doctor is being played, by Capaldi, as a fallible man full of self-doubt and questions. "Robot of Sherwood" was a direct assault on the Doctor as a fantasy adventure hero.

At the end of all of this, in Missy's Paradise, the Doctor will have to face the people he talked into sacrificing themselves...in both cases (so far) his actions have been somewhat selfish. We could debate the need for the Half-Faced Man to die, but certainly the Doctor's use of the soldiers in Into the Dalek was craven.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:41:37 PM by nacho »

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2014, 10:03:57 AM »
I've nay watched Deep Breath. Is my new girlfriend Michelle Gomez in the other two episodes?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »
I've nay watched Deep Breath. Is my new girlfriend Michelle Gomez in the other two episodes?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2014, 08:50:25 AM »
Listen was...weird. But I guess it had everything Doctor Who should have -- it had scary moments, it had gizmo moments, it had spaceship moments, it crossed timelines so much that you just simply stopped thinking about paradoxes, and we got a taste of Gallifrey and a very nice tie-in to the 50th Anniversary episode.

We're also hitting all the right notes for Clara's exit. They're denying it, but the writing is really on the wall as of this episode. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »
The AV Club review loved Listen beyond reason:http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/doctor-who-listen-209034?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds

They were also kind enough to link to this: