Children of the Sun > Movies & Entertainment

Freddie Mercury Biopic

(1/4) > >>

RottingCorpse:
We're all super gay for Queen here, yes? I became a huge fan of the band about two years before Mercury died and was absolutely crushed when it happened. In the space of a month, Mercury died, I lost my virginity, and heard Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for the first time, three events of about equal importance in my life.

Anyway, Sacha Baron Cohen has long been tapped to play Mercury in a bio-pic, but it looks like he's out and Harry Potter is in. I'm strangely okay with this, though would have loved to see Cohen's "grittier" take on the subject matter.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/22/daniel-radcliffe-to-replace-sacha-baron-cohen-in-freddie-mercury-biopic-4073714/

--- Quote ---Daniel Radcliffe to replace Sacha Baron Cohen in Freddie Mercury biopic?

Daniel Radcliffe is reportedly being lined up to play Freddie Mercury in an upcoming biopic.

The Harry Potter star could be replacing Sacha Baron Cohen, who pulled out of the film earlier this year over creative differences.

A source told the Daily Star: ‘Despite his youth, Daniel impressed movie bosses with his portrayal of gay poet Allen Ginsburg in this year’s movie Kill Your Darlings.

‘Plus, he’s closer in height to Freddie than Sacha, who’s much taller. Daniel can really sing, too.’

Radcliffe is 5ft 5 while Baron Cohen stands at 6ft 3 tall.

Baron Cohen reportedly wanted the movie to be a grittier look at Mercury’s life while the band’s guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor wanted the biopic to appeal to a mass audience.

Peter Morgan, who wrote The Queen and Frost/Nixon, is attached to pen the script although no director has been hired as yet.

Les Miserables’ Tom Hooper has been tipped as a possible candidate for the role.
--- End quote ---

nacho:
Very much looking forward to this...

monkey!:
Radcliffe is a better serious actor.

nacho:

--- Quote from: monkey! on September 23, 2013, 11:08:30 AM ---Radcliffe is a better serious actor.

--- End quote ---

Indeed! Cohen could look the part, but could he play it? I don't know...

I just hope they can capture that weird magnetism that Mercury had...

I still love that Live Aid set from 1985... The bands before and after were so tepid... When Queen took the stage, they controlled that place for 25 amazing minutes.

RottingCorpse:
I didn't see Radcliffe's Hammer movie, Harry Potter and the Black Ghost or whatever it was called. Nacho, I seem to remember you having mixed feelings on it. I think the kid actually has chops though. Panning himself with Gervais in some ways is enough for me to trust him as an actor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version