Author Topic: American Horror Story  (Read 5115 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
American Horror Story
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:37:42 PM »
American Horror Story. Early reviews say it's pretty campy.

I only like this trailer for the maid in garters and stockings.

Finally getting around to this. Season one episode three and, so far, it's actually quite good.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Re: American Horror Story
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:56:07 PM »
The asylum storyline of the second season is getting rave reviews.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:02:08 PM »
I'm genuinely creeped out when I should be, I can't figure out what the larger story is, and I even jump on occasion.

And that fucking maid in the garters...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »
It's redolent of The Shining. I think that's the secret. So the first season is some poor schmuck being tugged around by the multitude of ghosts in his house. They may or may not be doing the murders. Hard to tell. And he goes into these fugue states where we get some lovely I wouldn't let her talk to me that way, Mr Torrance moments.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:19:29 PM »
Oh, but I hate the pronunciation problems... Celtic with a soft c, and bourgeois pronounced phonetically. Took me a couple times to even understand what they were saying.

Dozens of people on set and nobody knows how basic words are pronounced?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 08:07:39 AM »
I wonder what it's like being Vera Farmiga's plain jane sister. I was, initially, worried that the daughter was played by Vera Farmiga's daughter -- which would mean that I really am getting old. But they're sisters, just with a 21 year difference. Which is sort of the same thing, I think.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 08:15:56 AM »
I wonder what it's like being Vera Farmiga's plain jane sister. I was, initially, worried that the daughter was played by Vera Farmiga's daughter -- which would mean that I really am getting old. But they're sisters, just with a 21 year difference. Which is sort of the same thing, I think.

And holy shit!
Spoiler
She's been dead for the last five episodes and we didn't know it!
  This show's like a bunch of mediocre writers took the best parts of Sixth Sense, The Shining, and Twin Peaks and then threw all the plotlines in a hat and added french maids and a gangster Jessica Lange.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 08:28:50 AM »
I split this shit out because I'm hooked at the end of season one and will start season two in a couple days.

It's not like this is stellar must-see TV... In fact, season one is something of a mess. A hot mess, yes...but a mess still. It's a weird season two Twin Peaks-ian exercise in writing a multitude of storylines into a corner and, if my guess is right as I start the penultimate episode, it's all going to end with the apocalypse. Which is why seasons 2 and 3 are set in the past. There's even an Angels & Demons themed Omen thing going on. The season one trailer should just say "If you've enjoyed the last 50 years of movies and TV and books of all genres, then you'll enjoy whatever the fuck we're trying to do across 12 lunatic episodes! Also: Garters! Also: Scary girl ghosts! Also: The Devil. Also: ...whatever you want! Just email us a plotline and we'll suddenly introduce it because we haven't finished writing tonight's episode!"

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 09:09:50 AM »
Season one's finale is weird. It's an epilogue where the not so bad ghosts stage a revolt.

Oh, and does open up for the apocalypse sequel series.

Though, from what I've read, the second series is standalone...but with many of the same actors playing different characters. Which should be pretty loony.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 11:41:16 PM »
Okay. So season one was The Shining and all other 70's and 80's era haunted house/slasher stuff... Season two is Kalifornia intro, with found footage influences... It's like this show is some weird homage to horror, era by era. So now we're in a blend of late 90's and 00's inspired horror stuff.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 06:11:11 PM »
Yeah...season two is insane. Alien abduction. James Cromwell. And the end of episode one made me go "Aaahhhh!"

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 06:29:34 PM »
Also, season two got permission to have about 12 minutes of solid female nudity per episode. Just ass. Girls with great asses standing around having comically serious conversations. Awesome.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »
The Irish exorcist in episode two is awesome.

"A non-believer! Good! I like having one in the room...ups me game."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 08:03:53 AM »
Okay! Caught up with season two. Frances Conroy returns as the angel of death, Satan finally gets a soul (ex-Nazi butcher Dr. Hans Gruber) and lords it over him (she's been excellent this whole season -- easily the most likable character in the series is...uh...the Devil, because there's this little dash of the Bedazzled Devil in there).

We still feel about a hundred miles (and 40 years) from explaining WTF is up with the quick glimpses of the asylum in the modern day.

This is over the halfway mark. 13 episodes... And episode 7 starts to heat things up for what looks to be an insane roll into finale country.

So, if Satan is rolling around unchecked now, is that what happened in season one? IS there some grand connect between the "standalone" seasons?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:42:55 AM by nacho »

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 05:08:52 PM »
So I take it this is worth watching?