Author Topic: Accents  (Read 2348 times)

Tyson

Accents
« on: August 15, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »
Reading the front page, I had to ask myself - is there West accent? A Californian accent? Really - is there? What's it like compared to other English accents?

I'd discover it myself, but I'm too busy talking in slurred similes and metaphoric profanities. Well, that, among other reasons.

So East Coast Bitches: Is there a distinct California accent? West accent?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Accents
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 02:34:29 PM »
I equate it to the Mid-Atlantic (general) accent.  That is, someone in LA sounds like someone in DC.  Historically, it's interesting.  The cities in the west were settled by people who came from the cities in the east.  Education and cultural patterns are parallel.

Mid-Atlantic accent is pretty narrow these days.  I'd say it stretches from Philly to Richmond, and DC to Columbus with the exception of Appalachia, Penn. Dutch, Tidewater VA.  For the large part, Mid-Atlantic is an urban/suburban accent.  As more of the country people move into the massively sprawling east coast suburbs, the Mid Atlantic accent is fading.  

As the Beeb does with the Queen's English, Hollywood succeeds thanks to actors with generic and easy to understand American accents.

Also, thanks for using the thread I started up specifically for discussion of the front page article.

Tyson

Accents
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 02:42:18 PM »
Quote from: nacho
Also, thanks for using the thread I started up specifically for discussion of the front page article.

Sorry. I'm retarded. I flipped throught the 30,000 posts made since Friday aand the 200,000 one-word homosexual-reference Monkey posts in about 10 minutes, so I probably missed it. Looking for it now.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Accents
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 03:00:51 PM »
It's linked at the bottom of the front page article.