Author Topic: Reveal your vote!  (Read 25482 times)

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
Re: Reveal your vote!
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »
I will reveal my ballot publicly on Election Eve!

But maybe a little at a time here...

President, I'm going Elon Musk
I will vote Gary Johnson for the powerless VP position.
Okay, I can get behind Sobhani for Senate.
I'll take the Libertarian candidate for the House seat: Paul W. Drgos Jr. -- this man has very few vowels in his name.
I get to vote for no more than 2 judges for the circuit court...but there are only 2 judges running. I will vote for none of them.
****Instead I'll vote for Andy and Andrew Gifford!
Two judges for Appellate Circuit and Court of Special Appeals, I can vote yes or no for continuance in office. I always vote No for these. Get them out!

Board of Education is up next
Bob Ballinger and Jackie Scott

So now to the Constitutional Amendments:
1: You have to be a member of the Bar to be Orphan's Court Judge in Baltimore County
2: You have to be a member of the Bar to be Orphan's Court Judge in PG County

Amendments to the Maryland Constitution
I will vote yes to 1 and no to 2. That way I can still be judge of the Orphan's Court in PG county later
Ballot Questions
3: Elected officials are suspended when found guilty of a serious crime and fired when they stop appealing. Versus working during the entire appeals process. -- Yes
4: Illegal aliens get in-state tuition in maryland after jumping through approximately 700 hoops that make them more American than me. -- Yes
5: Congressional Districting -- I'm voting no for this one. I have mixed feelings about it and it is probably the least clear for me. So why no? It appears to have become a partisan issue and so I'm voting for the little guy. In MD that is the Republican side.
6: Gay Marriage -- I'm voting yes. I certainly don't want the government to be making choices about religious definitions. And vice versa.
7: Add an additional [c-sin-] and allow table games like [***Censored names of games***] at all [c-sin-]s.  -- Yes to this. Despite the fact that [c-sin-]s remain one of the most depressing places to pass through (admittedly my sample size is small, but I've yet to visit one where the main participants seemed to be having fun rather than vacantly plugging money into a slot machine or tossing chips to a dealer). I also don't think that [c-sin-]s stay a legitimate business model once they are ubiquitous. My main reason for voting yes is that I haven't heard any good reason as to why the government so tightly controls gambling at all. It seems that as a primary beneficiary of the success of the [c-sin-]s, they have a conflict of interest to insure the success of the same. So yeah, let's have more of them to move toward the point where the [c-sin-]s actually compete with each other and start going out of business.

These county charter amendments were all worked out by a group of citizens known as the Howard County Charter Review Commission.

I used the blog of one of the participants for insight into the thinking, his post about the process and his advice is here: http://www.hocorising.com/2012/10/2012-election-howard-county-charter.html

A: Allow all citizens to request county records (some records may only be requested by media members) and sets up some related processes. -- Yes
B: Allow grant funds to carry over from one fiscal year to the next instead of reverting to the general county fund. -- Largely an accounting matter; yes.
C: Change the number of signatures needed to refer a county law to the voters from 5% of registered voters to 5% of votes for governor in the last election. -- Seems like that makes it easier to refer laws to the voters. Great! Yes.
D: Notices required by law to be "posted" must also be posted electronicaly. -- Good! Get with the times! Yes.
E: Technical Corrections -- various spelling, logical errors, duplications, etc. --Housekeeping; yes.

So there it is, my full ballot!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2012, 12:45:17 AM »
Howard County has a much more exciting ballot...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »
So, thanks to Reggie, I changed my position on redistricting at the last minute...

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2012, 12:59:27 AM »
Hurrah! ...not that it mattered.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »
Hurrah! ...not that it mattered.

Yeah.

And that noncompetitive hiring of people with disabilities passed with 80%. Blah. Darwin is rolling in his grave.

Overall...a pretty good night. But I'm glad I went to bed early.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »
Well...the usual for me. MoCo, MD -- the most stable dictatorship the world has ever known.

I did my usual anti-Van Hollen vote and, this year, I did an anti Ike Leggett vote, because I blame him for fucking up the transit center. Both will win with the usual landslide, of course.

Midterms in MoCo are all about voting against the continuation of office people, right? Just to check their hubris when they fail to get more than 90% of the majority.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »
I party-lined it and voted "yes" on the VA referendum which allows spouses of soldiers killed in combat to be exempt from property taxes the same way disabled vets are already in the state.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2014, 01:54:42 PM »
And in case you were wondering what party I'm aligned with:

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 12:17:56 AM »
I think I broke GS earlier by trying to post my ballot.

Interesting times!

The smiler is on the chopping block!!

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2014, 06:17:49 AM »
The GOP now has both houses... lolz. Good luck, guys!
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2014, 07:20:57 AM »

The smiler is on the chopping block!!

Nice.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »
Unfortunately, all the late votes went his way...and he won by 20%.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2014, 12:22:21 PM »
Why does nobody vote? Turnout was dismal.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »
Why does nobody vote?

Why is easier to answer:

My favorite social media post yesterday was a guy who said:

"Thank God Election Day is a Tuesday, because I strictly observe the Sabbath and it takes me a whole day to ride my horse into town."

• Voting is a chore in the US. We're one of only a handful of countries that have voting on a workday (and don't provide a holiday).

The general attitude towards voting in the US is solely inspired by how annoying it is to vote, which is a completely arbitrary design:

We have a decentralized system, with 13,000 election jurisdictions overseen by county and city officials and, as Adam Fogel puts it, "a messy patchwork" of rules to govern them. Pretty much the only thing every jurisdiction has in common is this: They open polling stations for presidential elections the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November—that is, a work day. (Tuesday voting, for the record, is entirely vestigial. In 1845, Congress fixed upon Tuesday because getting to and from polling places used to be a two-day ordeal, and voting on the weekend or Monday would have meant traveling on the Sabbath.) In addition to the difficulty of getting off work during polling hours, American voters also endure long lines, hanging chads, untrained poll workers, and malfunctioning machinery.

• We have the single worst method of registering and tracking voters:

the United States is one of just a few democracies where the government takes a back seat, expecting individuals to sign themselves up to vote. (Other "self-initiating" countries include such beacons of democracy as Algeria, Cameroon, and Chad.) The National Voter Registration Act (aka the Motor Voter law, which Congress enacted in 1993) makes it possible to sign up at the DMV, at public-assistance offices, or by mail. But many, many people fall through the cracks—only 72 percent of the voting-age population was registered in 2004. Plus, we have no comprehensive way of correcting forms or striking people from the rolls when they move away or die.

In many European countries, you are automatically registered and the government proactively seeks your vote. In Australia, voting is actually compulsory -- resulting in a minor fine if you don't do it.

How to fix this? The fix needs to come from above. We like to confuse ourselves yelling and screaming about the Electoral College and pretending we're smart when, really, the deeper problem is simply how we vote -- something that, in practice, would be easy to change and upgrade, but no one thinks to fly that flag because we're all either armchair liberals who have no understanding of what's really going on, or we're GOP and buying into the Kool-Aid, or we're wildly anti-government and we can't bear to imagine the government having a hand in voting procedures (which sort of contradicts being anti-government, amusingly enough, but that's complicated for people to think about).

In short: We are reaping exactly what we've sown.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2014, 02:35:03 PM »
So, locally, let's talk about the big casualty of MD going Republican... Namely the Purple Line. Farewell, sane and much needed transportation alternative. Hello to the short-siighted Dulles Bridge Bypass Monster Beltway Project and a million years of fucked up construction and bad traffic that won't be fixed or complete until AFTER the Silver Line is due to connect Dulles therefore making the new Potomac Bridge outdated and pointless!  Yay!