Author Topic: Office 7: Transitions  (Read 3997 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Office 7: Transitions
« on: April 15, 2011, 09:35:17 AM »
Okay, so nobody has actually enjoyed this show for the last two or three seasons, have they? I've sort of been watching it out of a sick sense of duty.

Now Carell is leaving and we're going to get a guest star-of-the-week for the remainder of the season, one of whom (maybe) will become the new manager. The showrunners swear that this isn't a stunt -- it's "to illustrate the very common turbulence that goes on at an office during a change in management." Except...a regular audience doesn't get seven off-the-wall oddballs trying on the position for size over seven weeks.

So, it's stupid.

Anyway, last night was part one -- the Will Ferrell episode. And I didn't even crack a smile through the whole episode. It was flat, stupid, and annoying in that background buzz that you can't locate sort of way.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Office 7: Transitions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 11:01:39 AM »
Well, there we go. Michael Scott departs in a boring 35 minute episode. I laughed once and felt no emotion at all. This show has exhausted me for years now... And I actually feel like now's my excuse to stop watching it. Thankfully. May will be the round-robin of guest bosses, one of whom will be elevated to next season's actual boss. Might stick it out.  But...blah.

Also, how'd Pam get through airport security without buying a plane ticket?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:35:28 PM »
Ah, the Will Arnett episode. An hour devoted to it.

It's never gonna end...never gonna end...never gonna end...

Still to go: James Spader, Ricky Gervais, Catherine Tate, and Ray Romano.

Talk about kicking fucking dead horses. Holy shit.

That said, I like Will Arnett. So I guess I don't mind. Plus more Creed. That's nice. I'm going to go drink Drano now.

Edit: Oh! Thank god. They're wrapping them all up with cameos in this episode. Whew... I was worried we'd have to go through an episode for each as was originally threatened.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:39:56 PM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 07:00:57 AM »
Ah, well. The suspense didn't last long. Catherine Tate is replacing Carell.

Which....might get me to watch the new season.

Spader would have been perfect, though. The ultimate American David Brent... Though I think that would be super rough with the rest of the cast. Tate will do her usual zany thing and be more lovable.

Spader owned the finale, though. Talk about presence... Man.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:10:59 AM by nacho »

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 02:17:49 PM »
I think he just played himself. 

Either way I'm considering dropping this show completely.  More and more I'm coming around to your point of view that trying to stretch the humor over 25 episodes is just insane.  Everything has to go your way for that to happen.  I haven't enjoyed this season of the office at all and probably won't start up again next year.  Carrell was too important and right now all the characters have gone off the deep end.

I'm also comparing and contrasting all the sitcoms I watch with Cheers as I have been slowly watching it from the pilot onwards.  Haven't watched it in years, but the distance really makes you take notice of how great it is...and how long NBC has been trying to make ensemble comedies work.  Cheers...man.  What a great show.  Each episode had a story, not a setup for a hilarious set piece.  Though now I'm running over in my head other recent sitcoms that are great: Modern Family, Raising Hope, Better Off Ted....here's the real difference.  The Office started as a parody of our lives, a way to get some catharsis about nutty co-workers and an unbearable boss.  But over the years its turned more and more neurotic: every character (well, maybe not Creed) is fixated on a relationship, a position of power, or just being anti-someone else in the group.  It's not that the characters have become caricatures of themselves, its that the writers have been lazy about setting up their motivations.  So behind the laughs and pratfalls there's this uneasy, constant paranoia.  If that was done on purpose and handled well, the show would be totally different and a kind of dark mirror for our own lives, but instead it's just a cubicle-shaped playground. 

Guess I'm ranting now, but, really, think about the Office of the first few seasons where the characters aren't really fleshed out and discovering their idiosyncracies was a fun part for both the writers and the audience and even if the situations got farcical, Jim and Pam were there to keep us down to earth.  Now, how's it been for the last two or three?  Romantic or professional failure plays a prominent role in almost every episode, Jim and Pam have fully bought into the system, and Michael is constantly absolved even though his gaffes become more and more destructive.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the Office gives me a headache.  It's like being shoved in a busy playroom for twenty minutes only the children are wearing ties. Bleah.  I've just convinced myself to put this show on personal cancellation. 
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 02:26:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm with you the whole way. I'll probably still give Catherine Tate a chance, for old time's sake. But, if I do bother, then season eight will really just be the C.T. show.

Did you catch Gervais talking about the show post Carrell? He basically shared a cousin of your rant above. Then went on to joke about how much money's it's made him.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 03:06:42 PM »
I don't blame him.  I doubt anyone is having fun doing it right now, but you can't hop off that 155mph money train, can you?  Unless you're Steve Carrell and have already done ten movies. 

I would watch a Creed spinoff, though.  Maybe that's what the future needs to be: make a brilliant sitcom for three or four seasons, then instead of tacking more and more on, take more and more away.  Spin off the best characters with two of your best writers and see where that takes you.  I know that's thinking outside the box, but come on.  The expense wouldn't necessarily be any greater than going out and getting a new Big Name to draw people back to your sinking ship, would it? 

So Creed retires and opens up a bar or maybe a gun shop.  He's got these goofball ex-mercenary buddies who always hang around and tell tall tales, and a quirky middle-aged single woman (Jane Lynch?) who owns a business across the street who takes a shine to him and wants to turn him into her ideal man.  I would watch that show.

Same goes for Parks and Rec.  Keep everyone on that show, but spin Tom off.  He needs to run free.  Or Ron.  How about a show that is solely about Ron driving a Winnebago across the country seeking solitude and reluctantly helping people in small towns solve their quirky conundrums?  Give him a lovable dog and a CB radio buddy and you're all set.

I think this is the wave of the future.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 03:29:55 PM »
Not outside the box! It was the way of the sitcom in the 70's and 80's. Most famously with Archie Bunker.

I would love the shit out of a Creed show.

On Parks and Rec, Tom scares me... Because I know quite a few Toms. Right down to the ethnicity. Everytime Tom's on screen I'm like, wow, I can call Tom right now if I wanted to.

"James" is based off of a Tom-like friend (the Sri Lankan...did you meet him last time?).

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 04:16:18 PM »
I've never met James.  You keep introducing me to psychopaths like VP and fajwat instead!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 04:23:20 PM »
Oh, well, James is married (via old school caste-system arrangement) and 47 years old these days. When you meet him he'll be overweight and moody and quiet and get tired after two beers.

But, let me tell you, in 2001. What a hoot. The Tiger's Path James -- my age now -- was a great guy. A great, great man. 

(Tiger's Path makes more sense when you know that "James" is a Sri Lankan Buddhist and that was his uncle's temple.)

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »
The name of the Ron in a Winnebago show would be "Ron the Move."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
Oh...you lost me there. But I just broke my glasses and am reading and typing in my sunglasses, so maybe I've gone crazy?

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 04:29:14 PM »
see above for my Ron from Parks and Rec spinoff idea.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 04:32:26 PM »
Oh, right! We were talking about that 5 minutes ago and I forgot because I watched episode one of No Reservations and Bourdain drank a bottle of wine at 7am and I said: "I CAN DO THAT TOO!" and I became a LOLcat by 8am.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 09:34:02 AM »
They're crossing the streams!

Stephen Collins, whose Will Decker character captained the Enterprise in the first Star Trek movie until Admiral James T. Kirk elbowed him out of the way, will on “The Office” play Walter Bernard, father of Andy.