Author Topic: Government Shutdown Thread  (Read 22226 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Government Shutdown Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 03:59:20 PM »
Update from the FDA. They are shuttering almost completely, and have been told there won't be an 11th hour resolution. However... all employees are told that they have to report for work as soon as a resolution is reached. So if Congress sorts itself out Tuesday at 1pm, then they'll have to return to work immediately.

Talk about psychological trauma! Out of work, not getting paid, and having to sit tense and waiting for a resolution that can come at any moment -- or not for weeks.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 05:02:33 PM »
Chaos reigns.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 07:36:04 AM »
Oh! Boring. Quite literally, we got an 11th hour reprieve. A week more to sort out their asses.

“It’s all that one-half of one-third of the government can hope for,” said Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), emerging from a caucus meeting after the deal was struck. “In democracy, you compromise.”

Um...that doesn't describe a democracy.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 01:23:14 PM »
The good news: Libraries and rec centers around the District are open today. The bad news: Congress is, once again, back in the "let's tell D.C. exactly what it can and can't do with its local tax revenue!" game.

Late last night, House Republicans, Senate Democrats, and the White House finally found an arbitrary number of billions of dollars that they could all agree to cut from the federal budget this fiscal year in order to keep it operating. Which meant D.C.'s government, treated for federal accounting purposes like any other agency of the U.S. government, also stays open. All the national pols around town congratulated themselves extensively last night for having gotten the best deal out of their adversaries that they could have.

Part of the price of getting the deal, though, was allowing a House-passed "policy rider" barring D.C. from using even locally raised revenue—like, the money you pay in sales taxes, D.C. income taxes, or fees for parking and other services—to allow the city's Medicaid program to cover abortions. (Another rider, continuing the "Opportunity Scholarship Program" that gives federal money to some kids to go to Catholic schools and achieves mixed results, also remained in the bill.) There could be another local restriction, too: Around midnight, a senior House Republican source told City Desk it wasn't clear whether another House-passed rider, which would have banned D.C. from using local funds to operate a needle exchange program for IV drug users—which could help cut the District's abysmally high HIV infection rate—was part of the deal or not.

Which basically settles the question a lot of Washingtonians had about the new GOP House coming in: Would they stay true to their Tea Party-inspired rhetoric, and leave us alone the way they want the federal government to leave everyone alone? In retrospect, the answer was always obvious. So we'll ask the same question we asked yesterday, when the shutdown was still a possibility: Canada, you want a southern outpost? Mer du mer, including the Anacostia!

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »
Here's what I really don't understand.  I know abortion has been a polarizing issue for decades, but why the hell are all these Republicans trying to make such a bold stand for it right at this moment?  I didn't follow every campaign or race last year, but I never heard any debate over abortion or even any attempt to turn it into an important issue for 2010-2012.  Everything was about fiscal responsibility and repealing Obamacare.  But come this budget crisis every right winger figures the most egregious government spending is abortion reimbursement by Medicaid and grants for Planned Parenthood?  I know this always plays well with the religious, but most sane Republicans i know treat abortion as, at the worst, a necessary evil and others outright approve it.  What kind of victory are these guys trying to win? 

I say it's only a moral one.  They can say that, "well, we shouldn't be spending federal money on abortions when we're in such dire financial straits," but that's bullshit.  Any person on Medicare who can't afford an abortion is DEFINITELY not going to be able to afford her entire pregnancy or healthcare for her child.  So it doesn't prevent government spending at all.  It's purely an ideological fight, and I gotta say it reeks of bullshit. 
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »
Oh, well, yes. What are the figures again? Planned Parenthood's budget only devotes 3% to abortions? And that's funded privately and not with the government money because a Reagan-era law said no fed funding for abortions. So, basically, even if they shut down PP, the only services that would be affected would be medical care and contraception distribution and the abortions would go on. And, of course, increase! If anything, PP is a deterrent to abortions.

So, clearly, it's all a sick game. And the tip-off is when they came right out and said "We didn't wait till the eleventh hour to create a sense of drama!"

Oh, the lady doth protest too much. Of course you did. The stopgap deal was proposed early in the day (and probably sooner). The whole thing was a show of strength. Anyone with half a brain can see that since, instead of debating, they've all spent the last few days talking to the news and grandstanding.

Everything the government has done since the Lewinsky era has been so clumsily transparent it's sickening. The shenanigans go much further back, but I feel like the Lewinsky scandal was the point where they stopped being shady about their games and they just started openly wearing jester's caps and dancing in front of cameras. The onset of the 24 hour news era. Before that, it was just 6pm and 10pm and the morning papers. Hardly a venue at all! No point in swinging around monkey bars and reciting limericks.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 03:48:28 PM »
I've been thinking about term limits on congresspeople lately. It could be a way to end some of the power-trippy, egotistical nonsense that is going on. Of course there is a downside to that also that we see at the end of every president's second term and every lame-duck congressperson's last month. "Everyone is pardoned! Insane pork-filled laws FTW!"

There is no perfect solution, but if we could get more hard-working, get it done people in office vs. the protect-my-seat-at-all-cost types, then maybe we have a chance to avert this kind of brinkmanship. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »
Oookay... So the revolution has begun:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-wire/post/gray-it-seems-the-district-of-columbia-was-thrown-under-the-bus-in-federal-budget-negotiations/2011/04/12/AFjM02PD_blog.html?hpid=z1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/politics/gray-council-members-arrested-at-protest-of-dc-riders-in-spending-bill/2011/04/11/AFRWPBND_story.html

And a description from a blog:

In response to the Congressional budget debacle which proved that DC is but a colony — prone to being singled out unlike any other city in the country — a number of activists, elected officials, and general citizens came out in force upon the grounds of Capitol Hill.

The crowd first formed on the sidewalk, but after some opening remarks by elected officials and activists: they quickly spilled into the street. The Capitol Police had been on hand & I’d thought it amusing that a couple were taking photos & videos… it wasn’t until I saw the wristbands come out when I realised these weren’t officers enjoying the moment; they were recording evidence.

With many minutes of warning, large portions of the group shifted over the sidewalk; whilst a core of dedicated supporters — including our Mayor, a number of councilmembers, and members of DC Vote — remained behind to block the roadway. The officers began to surround the group & repeated their warnings to get back on the sidewalk or face arrest.

Now in all fairness to the Capitol Police: they were doing their job. They were quite courteous about it & the protest was similarly jubilant right back. One woman was first to be bound, soon followed by several other activists. Then came Muriel Bowser: first councilmember to be arrested.

In general, I tend to dislike political grandstanding… but this was different. If our council was being arrested by our own police, I’d think it a cheesy photo op… but now our locally-elected officials were being arrested by the very forces we were out to protest: the Feds. This wasn’t a mere photo op arrest; this was actually a legitimate arrest… the kind of thing that goes on your record; the kind of thing you spent a night in jail for.

Now granted, I don’t expect anyone will be in jail longer than tomorrow; I’d be surprised if any were still locked up by midnight tonight. But it was Councilmember Bowser’s arrest which really hit a moment… you could see the look on her face was of some worried concern: someone who had never been arrested before & didn’t show up here today expecting to be arrested. As she was placed into the police van: her look of concern changed to a bit more worry. I mean this as no knock against Councilmember Bowser’s committment; rather I felt it really help to humanise the entire event. It made me respect her all the more.

Yvette Alexander stood right beside us for quite some time, complicated in that she didn’t have her ID on her. While it was entertaining to see our top officials being frisked, it was also quite entertaining that our easily-recognisable councilmember needed her ID… prompting a standerby to call one of her staffers with the best introduction I’ve ever heard over a phone: “Hi, your councilmember has been arrested.” Also, kudos to Councilmember Alexander for going to jail in high heels!

There is a lot I can complain about with the council in general; and certainly with individual councilmembers & even the mayor. Heck, that’s what politicians are for: you’re not supposed to always like them. But this was an opportunity to set aside some of those issues (frankly, I’d say DC was glad to have a unifying moment after the past couple weeks) and cheer on our own brothers & sisters as they stood up in support of our rights.

It was certainly a proud moment to be a DC resident and a fine boost to our collective esteem after several weeks of turmoil within our local & federal levels of government. It’s aggravating that my support for small & local government is inhibited by those in Congress whom advocate small & local government. If I wanted to live in a colony, I’d have moved to Williamsburg.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 03:11:39 PM »
I really am waiting for Obama to lose DC in 2012. That would be one for the books.

Gray and others seized on a report in The Washington Post that in the heat of negotiations on the spending bill, Obama said to Boehner, “John, I will give you D.C. abortion.” The concession by Obama came partly in exchange for Boehner agreeing to drop a GOP-authored provision ending federal funding for Planned Parenthood.

“Is D.C. the president’s to give?” DC Vote head Ilir Zherka asked the crowd Monday. “No!” they yelled back.

Bowser said the women of the District were “under attack.”

“I’ve got to tell you I’m disappointed in my president,” Bowser said, and then addressed Obama: “If you don’t choose us, we won’t choose you.”

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 08:52:38 AM »
Oh my god... They actually did it!

So it looks like the government will be shut down for a week. This should mean nothing to most people because just about every job is considered "essential." So all the dead-weight pencil-pushers (to the tune of 800-some-thousand) have to sit at home eating their hot pockets and watching House Hunters.

Sadly, these are the people least prepared for this. So there will be repercussions.

For me... I see an empty Metro in my future. And a quiet Capitol Hill.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »
Stephen Colbert compares the shutdown to Breaking Bad. I don't even watch the show and this is great.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/10/stephen-colbert-government-shutdown-breaking-bad/

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 10:55:07 AM »
I love the Gravity clip he does...

Fucking Bachman.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 10:59:18 AM »
I love seeing stuff like this on FB:

You'd be singing a different tune if you had to show up to work for free today or not at all. Federal employees are people. People with children like yours and mortgages and stomachs. It's sad that so many smart people can be so inconsiderate and, I'll say it, ignorant. Those people, the ones you don't care about, pave the highways you drive to your paying job, and control the planes that fuel your economy, and teach your children. You say you don't care about a government shutdown? I say you don't care about your country.

So, okay. I can see that argument. Except most people I know in danger of being furloughed have saved up with that in mind. Oh, and, P.S. -- you've had over a year's warning. So, like, you know. Maybe consider a lifestyle that allows you to put money in savings. Maybe cancel Netflix or something...

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 11:22:36 AM »
So... America's trying to ruin the global economy again?
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 11:26:36 AM »
So... America's trying to ruin the global economy again?

Nah. They're just trying to bring the recession that's killing the country inside the Beltway for a few days. We'll be back to normal, with retroactive pay, in no time!