Author Topic: Government Shutdown Thread  (Read 25751 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Government Shutdown Thread
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:26:24 AM »
Sadly not a holiday for me... But it will cut Metro ridership down by an estimated 20%. That'll be just like a holiday! And with all the tourist hotspots closed, it'll be even better. Because spring in Washington is when every commuter just wants to start leaping around and hacking at Okies with a machete.

Metro, of course, has said that they're going to "compensate" for the loss in ridership by running fewer and shorter trains.

Thanks, assholes.

This time around, the shutdown will not only pitch a million workers into X unpaid days, but there's a new twist -- they're going to take away all of their Blackberrys. Or, at least, cut service. Because you're not allowed to do your job even if you want to.

What I love is that they'll cancel the Cherry Blossom Parade. That's just pissing on people, really. The parade is Saturday morning, the shut down (if it happens) won't kick in till midnight Friday. Come on. What's a parade going to hurt? It draws in enough tourists to choke a T Rex and that's good for the local businesses! In a city, by the way, that won't be able to get any money during the shut-down. Every dollar that goes into DC has to first go to the Feds and then the Feds give it back to the city, because they're laundering the money earned by DC, obviously. The whole set-up smells like something mob bosses do in a Batman comic.

The parade pulls in in excess of half a million people from all over the world. Who are, you know, already here or arriving today or tomorrow. But, of course, the trees are there to be seen anytime. Does anyone really care about the gay parade? I'm always secretly hoping for a riot or something, but the only people who'll riot are all the high school marching bands and parade organizers.

Even with the bleachers in place and parade-goers en route, festival officials said late Wednesday that the National Park Service could not honor the group’s parade permits if a shutdown occurs.

The Interior Department, which oversees the National Park Service, said in a statement: “Visitor activities that require a permit, including public events, will not be allowed or will be canceled or postponed. Visitor centers will be closed and access to park areas denied, including the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, Independence Hall, Alcatraz, and the Washington Monument.”

The District would be hit hard.

The city, considered in a shutdown to be a federal agency, would face $1.5 million to $5.5 million in losses per week.

Along with trash collection, most parking enforcement would be suspended, and D.C. libraries and Department of Motor Vehicles offices would be closed.

Street sweeping would be suspended for the duration of a shutdown, city officials said. Trash pickup could resume, because federal shutdown laws permit government services that deal with property and public safety, they said. But that wouldn’t happen for at least a week.

“That’ll be a treat, won’t it?” Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D) remarked sarcastically about possible piles of trash around the city.

He said he thinks the potential shutdown is more evidence of the unfair treatment of the District by Congress.

“This is a concrete example of what it means to be treated like a second-class citizen,” he said.

Public and charter schools would remain open, but the University of the District of Columbia would close.

Police, firefighters and emergency medical technicians would remain on duty. The Board of Elections and Ethics would maintain its staff to prepare for the April 26 special election.

A key question for hundreds of thousands of Washington area federal workers is whether they would have to work through an impasse — without pay. Departments began answering such questions on Wednesday.

In an e-mail, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said she and President Obama “are very much aware that a shutdown would impose hardships on many employees as well as the groups and individuals our department serves.”

But “prudent management requires that I plan for an orderly shutdown should Congress fail to pass a funding bill.”

In messages sent to all employees, administration officials promised to inform people of their fates no later than Friday. But employees would be expected to report to work Monday to assist with any shutdown-related tasks, senior administration officials said.

When they arrive Monday, workers with government-issued BlackBerrys and other devices would have to surrender them to agency bosses.

At the Education Department, 4,150 out of 4,465 full- and part-time employees would be furloughed under a shutdown, according to an agency contingency plan. And federal statistical agencies, including the U.S. Census Bureau, would close on Monday, meaning that economic indicators scheduled for release would not be available. National security and law enforcement functions would continue at the Justice Department, but civil litigation and outreach to crime victims would stop or be curtailed.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
Re: Government Shutdown Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 08:50:07 AM »
Yeah, I don't see any shutdown happening. The sides are really close and everyone remembers the political fallout from last time.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:53:45 AM »
Obama's certainly playing up the fallout from the last time. The White House has switched to just repeating that over and over.

I hope it happens because I'm bored of Japan and the Mid-East and I want the Post to switch back to DC-centric panic mode.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:16:46 PM »
“The numbers are basically there, but I am not nearly as optimistic — and that’s an understatement — as I was 11 hours ago,” Reid said. “The numbers are extremely close, and our differences are no longer over how much savings we get on government spending. The only thing holding up an agreement is ideology. I’m sorry to say that my friend, the speaker, and the Republican leadership have drawn a line in the sand not dealing with the deficit we know we have to deal with, not with the numbers that fund the government for the rest of this fiscal year. The issue is ideology, not numbers.”

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:39:01 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, YOOOOOOUUUURRRRR 2010 Congress! 

From all the AP articles I read today it sounds like both sides are using this for attack ads in 2012 so they can say "So and so voted AGAINST old people" or "So and so voted to SHUT DOWN our vital national parks!"  I hate them all. 
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:36:09 PM »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 12:52:32 AM »
I hate them all. 

Yep.

Seconded!

And I just finished watching Inside Job.

Soooo.... Reggie, who's the Libertarian candidate for 2012? Because it's either that or write in "Nacho Sasha."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 11:25:08 AM »
T-minus 13 hours and 40 minutes, according to the Post's hilarious countdown clock.

Scuttlebutt from my friends at SSN and FDA is that they've been told today it's a done deal, and the FDA friend has to turn in his Blackberry at the end of the day.

Moran's town hall meeting last night was eye-opening:

Moran warned that although many federal workers assume they will get back pay in a shutdown, “the main thing I should let you know is you should not take that for granted. . . . At this point in time there is little sentiment [in Congress] to reimburse those employees who have been furloughed.”

And he advised federal workers “to start conserving whatever financial resources you have.”

Even before finishing his opening remarks, Moran was sharply interrupted by members of the audience. One asked why Democrats hadn’t completed a spending bill for 2011 last year, when they still controlled both chambers of Congress. Moran didn’t answer but said he wasn’t there to “argue or defend any of this.”

Two attendees asked whether furloughed federal workers would qualify for unemployment benefits. Moran said the answer wasn’t clear yet — it depends on how long a shutdown lasts.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 11:32:16 AM »
Oh, and, the Cherry Blossom parade is a go -- but NO trash collection. That's just disgusting. Get your money grab, swamp the city with tourists, but shut down the basic municipal services? Jesus.

Greed 101, eh?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 11:56:39 AM »
End of the republic.

I also think they should shut the goverment down completely. No cops. No firemen. Open the prisons. Put your money where your mouth is, Mr. Anti-government/spending fucknut.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 01:09:21 PM »
I don't understand how the city budget is dependent upon the federal budget.  Are there no city taxes in DC?  No real estate taxes, sanitation fees, etc.?  I can understand no trash collection in federal buildings, but are you really talking about the whole city?

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 01:18:38 PM »
Yes, all of this battling right now is being done on a budget that should have been finished last year - but Democrats simply avoided that basic task of governing and punted the entire budget into 2011, when Republicans were due to take over the House.

The Senate never even debated a regular spending bill in 2010, though Democrats did try to jam through a last minute Omnibus Budget bill that was unveiled in late December - remember that one? Chock full of home state earmarks from both parties?

It didn't work, and so, the entire budget was laid over into 2011 as Republicans in the Congress have been noting on an almost hourly basis in recent weeks.

Unfortunately, just four years ago, we had the exact opposite. It was Republicans who were scared to death before the 2006 elections, as they approved only the Defense and Homeland Security budgets before Democrats took back the Congress in the November elections.

And instead of finishing the budget in late 2006, it was punted into 2007, leaving Democrats to finish the job.

In other words, neither party has clean hands when it comes to getting their work done.

In 2008, Democrats also booted work on all of the spending bills into the next year, as the Senate did not approve one appropriations bill that election year.

Just sit back for a minute and consider the record of Congress in recent election years:

In 2010, not one regular budget bill was approved by Congress and not a single one was debated in the Senate
In 2008, not one regular budget bill was approved by Congress and not a single one was debated in the Senate
In 2006, only two regular budget bills were approved by Congress
In 2004, four of the 12 regular budget bills were approved by Congress; the rest were jammed into a big Omnibus before Christmas
In 2002, two of the regular budget bills were approved by Congress; the rest were jammed into a big Omnibus the next February
You have to go back to 2000 to find an election year when over half of the spending bills in Congress were approved in a timely fashion.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 01:33:19 PM »
I don't understand how the city budget is dependent upon the federal budget.  Are there no city taxes in DC?  No real estate taxes, sanitation fees, etc.?  I can understand no trash collection in federal buildings, but are you really talking about the whole city?

DC's budget is controlled by the Feds. So all taxes, etc. are collected and then go directly to Congress. Congress then decides what DC's budget is and provides the money after they've, you know, laundered the fucking money.

So... The money is there, but it won't get processed during a shut down.

This is all, of course, a major local issue. It truly is "taxation without representation." 600,000 Americans who do not have a vote in Congress and whose taxes are being taken and played with and not used to improve their locale. And, in cases like this, one hiccup and the city collapses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.#Federal_representation_and_taxation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 01:56:45 PM »
Updates!

God... A week of trash piling up.

DPW will pick up trash, but only starting one week after the shutdown, because after a week the trash piling up will become a health risk. (Examiner) ... Also, the Circulator and Capital Bikeshare will continue during a shutdown.

And a week without any crime at all because now the cops can relax and shoot babies in the face:

Public safety partially essential: While police will be exempt from a federal shutdown, the Office of Police Complaints, which records and investigates police abuses, will be shuttered along with several other consumer and citizen protection agencies. (City Paper)

This is awesome:

Furloughed workers can file unemployment: Employees who are furloughed are eligible for unemployment benefits in every DC area jurisdiction. District residents are eligible after a week, but even then, DC's unemployment office won't be open. (WTOP)

So, those half a million Cherry Blossom parade tourists? I hope they enjoy waiting half an hour for a four car train:

WMATA clarifies potential cuts: The WMATA Board narrowed its service cut options yesterday. On the table still are increases in weekend train headways, several bus route cuts and consolidations, and a revised Anacostia bus fare discount. (Examiner)

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »
Ugh.