Author Topic: TV 2.0 (Netflix vs. Amazon vs The Old Gods)  (Read 41873 times)

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
Re: TV 2.0 (Netflix vs. Amazon vs The Old Gods)
« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2016, 02:42:05 PM »
We've started into Season 1 of "House of Cards". I love Kevin Spacey.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2016, 08:32:39 AM »
I hate House of Cards. Watch the UK version!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2016, 10:42:58 AM »
Yay! The best show of TV 2.0 comes back in April:

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2016, 08:48:45 AM »
Really? It was a piece of shit.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2016, 10:12:48 AM »
I loved it! I'm also an Ellie Kemper apologist.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2016, 10:11:21 AM »
Now that Netflix have become dicks regarding VPN usage, I've used a VPN to sign up for HBO Nordic because fuck you Netflix.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2016, 10:40:39 AM »
But how are you going to watch their collection of Z grade horror movies and TNG episodes?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2016, 12:55:17 PM »
Voltron update:

The premise itself is similar, but it does have a few tweaks—instead of the five galactic military troopers and and an alien Princess, this time the team is made up of human teenagers: Five young boys named Keith, Lance, Hunk, Pidge and Shiro (the first four taking their names from the American adaptation of Voltron, while Shiro is named after Takashi Shirogane, the character from GoLion turned into Sven Holgersson in the West). The heroes are thrust into a conflict to save the planet Arus and its Princess Alura, and countless other worlds, from a villainous space empire. So far, so Voltron.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2016, 12:12:16 PM »
Here we go, kiddies!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2016, 03:56:23 PM »
Sure! Let's do it!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2016, 11:11:27 AM »
This sounds fun...

If you’ve been jonesing for a time-travel series with the spirit of some old-school Stargate SG-1, this could be just the ticket.

Netflix has picked up Travelers, a new sci-fi time-travel series from longtime Stargate SG-1 producer Brad Wright (he also worked on Atlantis and Universe, for the record). The series follows a team of time travelers who go back in time via body-jumping to try and avoid a terrible future. So, kind of like Quantum Leap meets 12 Monkeys, from the creative mind of a Stargate SG-1 alum. Yeah, color us intrigued.

Here’s the official synopsis:

Hundreds of years from now, the last surviving humans discover the means of sending consciousness back through time, directly into people in the 21st century. These "travelers" assume the lives of seemingly random people, while secretly working as teams to perform missions in order to save humanity from a terrible future. Armed only with their knowledge of history and an archive of social media profiles, the travelers discover that 21st century lives and relationships are as much a challenge as their high-stakes missions.

The cast is led by Eric McCormack (Perception, Will & Grace), who will play FBI Special Agent Grant MacLaren. The rest of time-travel team includes Marcy (Mackenzie Porter), a young, intellectually disabled woman in the care of her social worker, David (Patrick Gilmore); Trevor (Jared Paul Abrahamson), a high school quarterback; Carly (Nesta Marlee Cooper), a single mom in an abusive relationship; and Philip (Reilly Dolman), a heroin-addicted college student.

It’s an interesting pitch, to be sure, and looks to be a very serialized concept. The contrast of having these characters trying to dive into modern-day lives should be ripe for drama (Again, see 12 Monkeys as a great example).

The series is entering production now and will debut on Netflix later this year.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2016, 04:00:44 PM »
I'm all for Netflix reviving this old stuff.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2016, 11:06:29 AM »
The secret is to go with the mood of the first season -- where Doctor Smith was a bad guy. The movie tried to walk that line, and failed horribly. But that first season was interesting. Smith started to morph into something of an antihero -- no choice but to throw in his lot with the Robinsons and embark on the show's larger adventure, but always with a twist of self-preservation and self-interest that made him more like Avon from Blake's 7.

But then all that was dropped for the campy bullshit.

The campy, iconic scifi show Lost in Space is making a comeback. Eight months after Netflix first purchased the rights to remake the show, they’ve officially given the series a 10 episode commitment with an eye on new episodes airing in 2018.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, this version of the show “takes its cues from the original series and centers on the Robinson family, who is forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, they find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and also their own personal demons.”

“The original series so deftly captured both drama and comedy, and that made it very appealing to a broad audience. The current creative team’s reimagining of the series for Netflix is sure to appeal to both fans who fondly remember the original and to create a new generation of enthusiasts around the world,” said Cindy Holland, the VP of original programming at Netflix.

That creative team includes showrunner Zack Estrin (Prison Break) and writers Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (the new Power Rangers movie, Gods of Egypt, Last Witch Hunter). Neil Marshall (The Descent, Game of Thrones) will direct some of the series.

Lost in Space will be a family drama, a scifi adventure, and Netflix is calling it “a survival story for the ages.” The franchise is certainly that.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2016, 11:56:06 AM »
Stranger Things! Netflix gives us nostalgia and scares. A boy goes missing in a small town, a mysterious girl with otherworldly powers stands in as E.T., evil scientists hunt some sort of bog monster X-Files Alien, Winona Ryder has multiple nervous breakdowns. All lovingly set in 1983.

What wooed me was when the internet went crazy that the kids were playing with a 2016 Millennium Falcon toy and not a 1980's one. Got me thinking, hmmm, might be a show for me!

They're pretty good with the 80s thing. It feels like Goonies meets X-Files meets Stephen King meets E.T. meets Fright Night meets The Lost Boys.