Author Topic: TV 2.0 (Netflix vs. Amazon vs The Old Gods)  (Read 38612 times)

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
Re: Netflix 2.0 -- The House of Cards Remake Revolution
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 11:06:30 PM »
Actually, you'll probably more than likely see a Dish makeover, maybe even dropping that name.  Saying they're the third largest pay-TV provider is a bit like saying the XFL was the third biggest professional football organization. 

We all really need to get ready for the next ten years of Big Business finally settling the wild west of the internet, from licensing to content to tiered access.  We're all going to suffer slightly.  At least, inasmuch as watching mindless dreck on a screen is suffering.
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 11:11:50 PM »
We all really need to get ready for the next ten years of Big Business finally settling the wild west of the internet, from licensing to content to tiered access.  We're all going to suffer slightly.  At least, inasmuch as watching mindless dreck on a screen is suffering.

As much as I feel it should be otherwise, I'm forced to agree with you. The movie big boys have certainly learned a small lesson from the music big boys. They're looking to control the new medium instead of fighting it.

I guess the big question is who will be the Apple to Netflix's Microsoft.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2011, 11:13:39 PM »
I'm just going to stay on the pirate ship until they sink us off the Carolina coast. Then, legless and missing an eye, I'll sing bitter shanties in the bar.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 11:15:14 PM »
Or you could always, you know, move to Thailand.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »
Then I have to trade in the three mast frigate for a junk.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 01:38:15 PM »
Netflix's decision to raise prices by as much as 60 percent is turning into a horror show.

The customer backlash against the higher rates, kicking in this month, has been much harsher than Netflix Inc. anticipated. That prompted management to predict Thursday that the company --the largest U.S. video subscription service-- will end September with 600,000 fewer U.S. customers than it had in June.

Here's the full article.  http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Higher-Netflix-prices-equals-apf-1466852939.html?x=0&.v=8

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »
Lesson: Never think you're stronger or smarter than the big bear that can eat you.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 02:22:18 PM »
From the piracy angle -- my activity will increase. Especially when Starz pulls the plug. You'd think people would be talking about that.

Unless...Netflix has something up their sleeves.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 02:37:16 PM »
The BIG news of the day is the open letter from Netflix's CEO announcing separate services for streaming and DVD.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/explanation-and-some-reflections.html

An Explanation and Some Reflections

I messed up. I owe everyone an explanation.

It is clear from the feedback over the past two months that many members felt we lacked respect and humility in the way we announced the separation of DVD and streaming, and the price changes. That was certainly not our intent, and I offer my sincere apology. I’ll try to explain how this happened.

For the past five years, my greatest fear at Netflix has been that we wouldn't make the leap from success in DVDs to success in streaming. Most companies that are great at something – like AOL dialup or Borders bookstores – do not become great at new things people want (streaming for us) because they are afraid to hurt their initial business. Eventually these companies realize their error of not focusing enough on the new thing, and then the company fights desperately and hopelessly to recover. Companies rarely die from moving too fast, and they frequently die from moving too slowly.

When Netflix is evolving rapidly, however, I need to be extra-communicative. This is the key thing I got wrong.

In hindsight, I slid into arrogance based upon past success. We have done very well for a long time by steadily improving our service, without doing much CEO communication. Inside Netflix I say, “Actions speak louder than words,” and we should just keep improving our service.

But now I see that given the huge changes we have been recently making, I should have personally given a full justification to our members of why we are separating DVD and streaming, and charging for both. It wouldn’t have changed the price increase, but it would have been the right thing to do.

So here is what we are doing and why:

Many members love our DVD service, as I do, because nearly every movie ever made is published on DVD, plus lots of TV series. We want to advertise the breadth of our incredible DVD offering so that as many people as possible know it still exists, and it is a great option for those who want the huge and comprehensive selection on DVD. DVD by mail may not last forever, but we want it to last as long as possible.

I also love our streaming service because it is integrated into my TV, and I can watch anytime I want. The benefits of our streaming service are really quite different from the benefits of DVD by mail. We feel we need to focus on rapid improvement as streaming technology and the market evolve, without having to maintain compatibility with our DVD by mail service.

So we realized that streaming and DVD by mail are becoming two quite different businesses, with very different cost structures, different benefits that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently. It’s hard for me to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary and best: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”.

We chose the name Qwikster because it refers to quick delivery. We will keep the name “Netflix” for streaming.

Qwikster will be the same website and DVD service that everyone is used to. It is just a new name, and DVD members will go to qwikster.com to access their DVD queues and choose movies. One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, and now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done. Other improvements will follow. Another advantage of separate websites is simplicity for our members. Each website will be focused on just one thing (DVDs or streaming) and will be even easier to use. A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated. So if you subscribe to both services, and if you need to change your credit card or email address, you would need to do it in two places. Similarly, if you rate or review a movie on Qwikster, it doesn’t show up on Netflix, and vice-versa.

There are no pricing changes (we’re done with that!). Members who subscribe to both services will have two entries on their credit card statements, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as the current charges.

Andy Rendich, who has been working on our DVD service for 12 years, and leading it for the last 4 years, will be the CEO of Qwikster. Andy and I made a short welcome video. (You’ll probably say we should avoid going into movie making after watching it.) We will let you know in a few weeks when the Qwikster.com website is up and ready. It is merely a renamed version of the Netflix DVD website, but with the addition of video games. You won’t have to do anything special if you subscribe to our DVD by mail service.

For me the Netflix red envelope has always been a source of joy. The new envelope is still that distinctive red, but now it will have a Qwikster logo. I know that logo will grow on me over time, but still, it is hard. I imagine it will be the same for many of you. We’ll also return to marketing our DVD by mail service, with its amazing selection, now with the Qwikster brand.

Some members will likely feel that we shouldn’t split the businesses, and that we shouldn’t rename our DVD by mail service. Our view is with this split of the businesses, we will be better at streaming, and we will be better at DVD by mail. It is possible we are moving too fast – it is hard to say. But going forward, Qwikster will continue to run the best DVD by mail service ever, throughout the United States. Netflix will offer the best streaming service for TV shows and movies, hopefully on a global basis. The additional streaming content we have coming in the next few months is substantial, and we are always working to improve our service further.

I want to acknowledge and thank our many members that stuck with us, and to apologize again to those members, both current and former, who felt we treated them thoughtlessly.

Both the Qwikster and Netflix teams will work hard to regain your trust. We know it will not be overnight. Actions speak louder than words. But words help people to understand actions.

Respectfully yours,

-Reed Hastings, Co-Founder and CEO, Netflix

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 10:31:43 PM »
Yeah, but really he's just saying. "Wouldn't have done anything different except explained it better!" And I don't think people are upset about the way it was explained.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »
I think it makes a lot of sense.  Usually you wouldn't get word one from a CEO about why the Thing that is Slowly Dying is getting the axe. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 08:44:44 AM »
Yeah, but it took a stock collapse and a mass exodus to get this word one. And, as Reggie says, we understood what was happening. Who cares if he says it or the intern running the blog says it?

Though, again, I don't see the problem. The DVD-by-mail service is more of a nuisance these days than anything else. Got to -- must -- carve out time to get my money's worth. Take it to work and try to watch it before the mail pick-up. I'm surprised by the blowback. Most people I know need a week or two to plan two hours free.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 12:42:38 AM »
Well, you don't know most people.  Most people spend 20 minutes acquiring and shoveling dinner into their mouths and then have nothing to do for five hours.

I think all this hullabaloo is just the media taking advantage of low-hanging fruit.  People have forgotten that they used to spend $50 or more a month at Blockbuster, not including gas money.  and that was on top of movie tickets.  Now prices go up "60%"--but still less than ten dollars---and everyone acts like it's time to storm the Bastille. 

This CEO's real mistake was engaging at all in the first place.  If you give customers an inch, they'll take a mile.  I'd love to bitch out the CEO of Shell, but guess what? He doesn't really care about how the end consumer feels about his price structure.  He just believes in his product and vacuums up the money.

At the end of the day we're a spoiled bunch caught in an odd moment in history: we've been given the promise of having everything at our fingertips, but we just haven't found a way to ensure that every show or movie produced can be streamed immediately.  Boo fucking hoo. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Man, and yesterday was the big day. I missed the switchover.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »
Oh-ho!

It seems every few months a rumor goes around about Amazon wanting to buy Netflix, but the sales tax issue (Netflix has shipping centers in most states) has prevented the deal so far. However, Michael Pachter (I know, I know...) thinks that Netflix has split the company to enable Netflix to sell the streaming division to Amazon. From Forbes:

“Upon reflection, it appears to us that the driver for the separation of Netflix into two businesses—Netflix.com (for streaming) and Qwikster.com (for DVD rentals) —was to position the streaming business for sale to Amazon.com,” he writes in a research note. “In our view, Amazon has always wanted to be in the streaming business, and has been constrained from buying Netflix due to tax considerations. The split up of Netflix’s business addresses the state sales tax issues raised for Amazon in having a ‘nexus.’ If Amazon were to acquire only Netflix’s streaming business, it could triple the size of its content library, and gain traction as an industry leader. Netflix streaming has current content deals that provide it with access to movie content during the premium cable TV window, and Amazon has the financial resources to secure additional streaming rights, including Starz content. Netflix’s financial flexibility is quite limited, while Amazon’s is virtually unlimited.”