Author Topic: TV 2.0 (Netflix vs. Amazon vs The Old Gods)  (Read 41363 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Re: TV 2.0 (Netflix vs. Amazon vs The Old Gods)
« Reply #180 on: August 03, 2016, 12:25:21 PM »
It's on my list because everybody won't shut up about it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2016, 01:06:56 PM »
It's on my list because everybody won't shut up about it.

I plowed through it all at once. It was like watching all of my favorite scenes from all of my favorite sci-fi shows and Spielberg kid movies from the last 30 years! Oh, and, like, something else was going on and people seemed upset sometimes.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #182 on: August 20, 2016, 04:33:52 PM »
I thought we had a thread for JCVD the movie -- Jean Claude Van Damme's very direct, atomic bombing of the fourth wall to accuse all of us, the viewers, for fucking up his career.

He's turned that into a comical "I am a fallen god" series for Amazon that's...awesome... (JCVD was awesome, as well).

Trailer for the series:

And here's the amazing JCVD monologue to get us all back in the mood:

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #183 on: December 15, 2016, 10:15:12 AM »
Gender-swapping Dr. Smith only works if you go with Gay Dr. Smith as opposed to (what they should do) season one's villainous Dr. Smith.

The best Lost in Space was when they were marooned on a hostile world with a homicidal maniac but were all too good to just execute him. Meanwhile, Smith Ver. 1.0 had to cope with the idea that he was marooned with all these people he'd just tried to kill and now he needed to function with them in order to survive.

One of the greatest lost-to-the-studio-wonks storylines in sci-fi, really. You could argue that all modern anti-hero sci-fi has been trying to recapture the first season of Lost in Space ever since. (Especially the BSG reboot where Baltar was a part of the crew.)

The premise of the remake will be the same as the original. Lost in Space follows the Robinsons as the family is forced to work together when they find themselves stranded light-years away from their original destination. Being essentially “lost in space,” they have to fight both their new alien surroundings and their personal demons. The original series was set 30 years in the future (with the action taking place in 1997) and revolved around an attempt by the U.S. to colonize deep space by sending one single family on a five-and-a-half-year journey to another planet, until enemy agent Dr. Zachary Smith sabotages the mission, sending the ship off course.

Ignacio Serricchio (Witches of East End, The Wedding Ringer) will star alongside Toby Stephens (Black Sails), who plays astrophysicist and family patriarch John Robinson, Molly Parker (Deadwood) as his wife and brilliant aerospace engineer Maureen Robinson, Taylor Russell (Falling Skies) as Judy Robinson, Mina Sundwall (Maggie’s Plan) as Penny Robinson, Max Jenkins (Sense8) as Will Robinson and Parker Posey (Superman Returns) as a gender-swapped Dr. Smith.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2016, 01:37:57 PM »
Netflix has revamped the old Mythbusters with the trio of helpers from the original.  I've only watched two episodes and they've clearly kept the campy writing and "acting" from the old show.  However, you can also see where Netflix has dumped some money into it.  I find this stuff kind of interesting,  but you need to watch the episode on crazy WWII weapons.  I think it's the second one.  If for no other reason than to see the dramatization of Hitler being secretly dosed with estrogen.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2016, 02:30:41 PM »
You didn't have to do such a hard sell, Sirharles. You should have just posted:

"Kari Byron. Netflix show."

And I would have dropped everything and found it.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2016, 01:25:06 PM »
Netflix has revamped the old Mythbusters with the trio of helpers from the original.  I've only watched two episodes and they've clearly kept the campy writing and "acting" from the old show.  However, you can also see where Netflix has dumped some money into it.  I find this stuff kind of interesting,  but you need to watch the episode on crazy WWII weapons.  I think it's the second one.  If for no other reason than to see the dramatization of Hitler being secretly dosed with estrogen.

Yeah...this is addictive.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2017, 03:32:54 PM »
Netflix rebooted One Day At A Time...and the whole game has changed. It's getting universal acclaim as relevant and powerful. Bizarre! I'll have to watch it, because... Huh?

WaPo's review went ahead and led off with the bold statement that this changes sitcoms forever.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2017, 10:54:12 AM »
And...we're back!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2017, 12:08:22 PM »
But will we get spaceship Voltron? I always liked spaceship Voltron better,

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2017, 03:37:56 PM »
But will we get spaceship Voltron? I always liked spaceship Voltron better,

idisagree!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2017, 03:25:30 PM »
So the One Day At A Time reboot is good. It has the usual billion dollars an episode that Netflix throws at all of their episodes. It's very interesting and watchable.

But does it "change sitcoms forever"? No, not at all. In fact, given the original subject material, it's actually a step backwards.

The original One Day At A Time was a daring entry into a distinctly anti-daring market. The day-to-day struggle of a single woman and her two female children in the era of Archie Bunker and The Waltons was, really, insane. It paved the way for the "dominant single female shows," very quickly gaining peers in Alice and other sitcoms. Notably, it was a step away from dominant woman sitcoms like Maude who, despite her outspoken liberal views, was still tied to her husband and life and family. It steps away from the Mary Tyler Moore phenomenon, as well. Though Mary Tyler Moore was TV's first single, independent woman in 1970, she was also well off. Even husbandless, she (and spinoff Rhoda) were really upper-middle-class.

One Day At A Time is pointedly lower class. The working poor. A stratum of society that, as far as 1970s prime time television was concerned, did not exist unless you were (a) Black or (b) Salt of the Earth Archie Bunker types who were subversively put up for mockery's sake. 

So you would think that, in 2016, these concepts would not only be easier to portray and deal with, but also very topical and "now." Certainly more so than the original.

But the remake is, like so many remakes, too informed by the fact that it's a remake. It somehow loses the independent woman narrative. It's hard to describe. Perhaps independent, single women are no longer shocking creatures, sure. But I think they're missing the larger picture of the original -- the struggling underclass.

Or maybe my whole life revolves around young Valerie Bertinelli. I don't know.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2017, 11:19:28 AM »
Voltron returns! And it's awesome as ever! Yay!

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #193 on: January 31, 2017, 12:08:25 PM »
This sounds fun...

If you’ve been jonesing for a time-travel series with the spirit of some old-school Stargate SG-1, this could be just the ticket.

Netflix has picked up Travelers, a new sci-fi time-travel series from longtime Stargate SG-1 producer Brad Wright (he also worked on Atlantis and Universe, for the record). The series follows a team of time travelers who go back in time via body-jumping to try and avoid a terrible future. So, kind of like Quantum Leap meets 12 Monkeys, from the creative mind of a Stargate SG-1 alum. Yeah, color us intrigued.

Here’s the official synopsis:

Hundreds of years from now, the last surviving humans discover the means of sending consciousness back through time, directly into people in the 21st century. These "travelers" assume the lives of seemingly random people, while secretly working as teams to perform missions in order to save humanity from a terrible future. Armed only with their knowledge of history and an archive of social media profiles, the travelers discover that 21st century lives and relationships are as much a challenge as their high-stakes missions.

The cast is led by Eric McCormack (Perception, Will & Grace), who will play FBI Special Agent Grant MacLaren. The rest of time-travel team includes Marcy (Mackenzie Porter), a young, intellectually disabled woman in the care of her social worker, David (Patrick Gilmore); Trevor (Jared Paul Abrahamson), a high school quarterback; Carly (Nesta Marlee Cooper), a single mom in an abusive relationship; and Philip (Reilly Dolman), a heroin-addicted college student.

It’s an interesting pitch, to be sure, and looks to be a very serialized concept. The contrast of having these characters trying to dive into modern-day lives should be ripe for drama (Again, see 12 Monkeys as a great example).

The series is entering production now and will debut on Netflix later this year.

Have you watched any of this?  I'm two episodes in annnnnd...meh.  Nothing spectacular but nothing horrible either.  Written by Brad Wright though!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #194 on: January 31, 2017, 12:39:24 PM »
I started it and lost interest after a few episodes. It's kind of dwarfed by the majesty that is 12 Monkeys and the sheer fun that is Timeless.