Author Topic: World Community Grid  (Read 4359 times)

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
World Community Grid
« on: February 18, 2011, 02:51:46 PM »
So if you guys watched the Jeopardy IBM challenge, you saw that a computer kicked ass and won some money for charity.  I decided to check one of them out since it sounded cool...The World Community Grid.  Basically you are signing your computer up to be part of an international grid that uses personal computers to run processes that help researchers.  

Most of the actual work is simulation work that helps create and model different proteins, chemical compounds, etc., that find candidates for new medicines, vaccines, etc.  There are other projects that simulate filter materials for a Clean Water research group and another that simulate materials for clean and efficient energy like solar panels.  You get to pick which projects your computer assists, how much memory you want to devote to it, yadda yadda.  If you a worried about it slowing your system down, you can set it to do work only when you're asleep or away or after a certain amount of inactivity.  Once that happens, whatever projects you've signed up for access your computer, send it a task, and your computer gets to work then uploads the data.  Voila! you've helped the world by merely taking a break from your Mr. Show marathon.  

I just signed up and right now I'm running it full time.  I'll post more later on how it affects my computer.  I'm guessing it won't that much since I've got a pretty recent and decently powerful laptop, but we'll see.  
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: World Community Grid
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 03:01:10 PM »
I do everything Cass says! Just signed up. Now I can cure that childhood cancer I keep getting.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:43:59 PM »
Have you looked at the graphics?  On some projects like the AIDS one you can watch your model build like a Tamagotchi! 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 03:45:46 PM »
I'm on clean water right now. So I'm watching Jeopardy on one screen of one computer, working on writing and web stuff on a second screen. On the second computer, I'm watching the graphics for the clean water project. Oh, and I'm reading The End of the Ice Age.

It's like Multiplicity in here!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
This feeds Skynet! RESIST!!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »
I'm on "Liquid Metal Research" right now! Two hours until research is complete!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:46:22 PM »
Sponsored by Cyberdine systems!

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 10:56:57 PM »
i don't think Cyberdyne was trying to cure Dengue fever.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 03:26:27 AM »
This feeds Skynet! RESIST!!

I'm with RC on this one. "World Community Grid" sounds too much like "Lizard People Control Centre."
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »
If it were called that, you'd sign up. You know it.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »
Keep away from the lizards.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 10:18:19 PM »
My PS3 does this (when I tell it to).  These have been around for a while. Although it seems this one in particular has lots of choices.

Fun!

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 11:25:17 PM »
yeah, left my laptop unplugged last night on accident and WCG is set to "run on battery" so everything was dead this morning and I had to read actual print while I ate my bagel (!).  anyway, my computer was running a little hot, so I cut down the amount of CPU it was allowed to eat up (to 70%), but I haven't had any slowdowns at all.  I just wish there were, like, five dozen things you could choose from.  I'd love to help Rogue Brewery calculate the best use of their hops fields alongside fighting AIDS, for instance.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 08:28:09 AM »
yeah, left my laptop unplugged last night on accident and WCG is set to "run on battery" so everything was dead this morning and I had to read actual print while I ate my bagel (!).  anyway, my computer was running a little hot, so I cut down the amount of CPU it was allowed to eat up (to 70%), but I haven't had any slowdowns at all.  I just wish there were, like, five dozen things you could choose from.  I'd love to help Rogue Brewery calculate the best use of their hops fields alongside fighting AIDS, for instance.

Yeah.  Weird that there isn't.  It's like Dengue Fever Tycoon with only two build options!