Author Topic: RC Boldly Goes - Star Trek TOS  (Read 21691 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: RC Boldly Goes - Star Trek TOS
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 10:47:46 AM »
Well, she told me that she'll just tune out if the time travel gets ridiculous. And really, if SCC is the standard then she'll be fine. After all, the time travel in Harry Potter she accepts as she did in that weird little Malcolm McDowell movie, Time After Time. There's other time travel stuff she enjoys too. It's just the alternate timeline stuff that makes her surly. (Her main problem is that there's another Missus RC in another dimension who's a blond-haired, meth addicted pole dancer.) My whole argument is just accept time travel  as fiction the same way she does magic and vampires in Harry Potter and True Blood respectively.

Oh, well, there's no alternate dimension stuff.  All the time travel in Star Trek is fairly simple -- slingshot around the sun/a god did it and they usually run into an agency of some sort (Gary Seven, the portal in City on the Edge of Forever) that's keeping them from fucking up too badly and, thus, pulling a Stargate.

The Cage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cage_%28Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series%29

The original pilot to Star Trek in which the only character from the Enterprise we know is Spock.

And "Number One"!  She went blonde and became the doe-eyed Nurse Chapel.

First thing that struck me: about five minutes in Pike is walking down the hallway in uniform and two kids in shorts and summer beach clothes walk past him looking like their headed down to a weiner roast with Dick Van Dyke. "Hey Daddy-o, let's head down to the malt shop in Engineering!" I think they were trying to show that it's a community, but knowing what we do about later Trek, it looks really silly.

The civilian/floating city thing is later very present in TNG. It's things like that I found fascinating in The Cage -- it's more a pilot to TNG than TOS.

Nacho mentioned Majel Barrett as "Number One" a pre-Riker Riker. I was sort of interested in how that dynamic would have worked out on the show. She's set up at a possible love interest for the captain who was also a crew member.. They also seemed to set up this possible love triangle with her , Pike, and a poorly acting red-headed yeoman. In retrospect, it's probably good they jettisoned the idea and focused less on soap opera elements. (And haven't these soap opera elements ruined some great genre fare of late?) Still it's interesting to see.

It wasn't jettisoned.  Red became Janice Rand, who was a frequent source of sexual tension/love interest for Kirk.  Uhura filled out the triangle.  It was dialed waaaay down, though.  The only time any of them acted on it was under the influence of something. 

They finally did dump the love thing at the end of the first season.  As you watch, you'll notice that Kirk fully steps into his playboy role in the second season but, for the most part, is flirting with Yeoman Rand and somewhat restrained (somewhat...) throughout the first season.

(The actress who played Rand was fired because she was always drunk and fucking up.)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 11:03:22 AM »
Also, as you go into the first season, the change from Pike to Kirk is more than just casting someone more brash than Hunter.  Roddenberry was told that Hunter's sort of exhausted moodiness didn't fly, and they wanted "someone more like Horatio Hornblower." So Kirk comes in as Starfleet's youngest but most promising captain. Shatner was told that he should be in awe of his job and mission.

The change in Spock's character reflects the decision to make the captain more youthful, emotional, and unpredictable. The studios suggested that this young captain, who has only ever received field promotions in times of crisis (a la Hornblower), should have a "starkly logical" character as his sounding board.  An "older brother."

Kirk as a reckless youth is an underlying theme that isn't really fully explored (or addressed or resolved) until Star Trek II and, to a lesser degree, The Motion Picture.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 11:23:28 AM »
I'm looking at the box set, and they're set up in the original airing order and not the production order.  The second pilot (which suuuucks) was the third episode aired.

Not that it really matters, but here's more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series_episodes#Season_1_.281966.E2.80.931967.29

There are little things where you'd notice, though.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_No_Man_Has_Gone_Before#Continuity

WNMHGB has always bothered me as an episode, because it's still kind of off, like The Cage.

I'll see if I can dig up the longer pilot version (which I haven't seen before).

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 11:35:16 AM »
Kirk certainly makes for a more exciting protagonist.

I was shocked by the high quality of the writing. There's some of that 60s style of exposition that takes some adjusting to, but the storytelling and characterization is really well done.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 08:10:59 PM »
TOS Season One is out of stock on Amazon. I'm going to have to do some digging.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 11:04:04 AM »
TOS Season One is out of stock on Amazon. I'm going to have to do some digging.

Oh-ho!  Now's my chance to download it and feed it to you in the original production order.

Which...may take a few days...

You want me to do that? I can't download all three seasons because it's 30 gigs and I can't count that high.  Nor can my harddrive.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2010, 11:37:02 AM »
Erm . . .Look around and see what you find, but also give me a chance to grab the set with all the extras too.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010, 12:56:24 PM »
Erm . . .Look around and see what you find, but also give me a chance to grab the set with all the extras too.

Oh, it's available.  I could have season on in about two or three days.  Just give me the word!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2010, 02:21:14 PM »
Grab the first three and tell me what order to wsatch them. I want the continuity order, not the air date order.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2010, 02:36:34 PM »
Right!  I'll drop box them in production order, so no worries. Um...might not be down till tomorrow night.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 11:26:49 AM »
Where No Man Has Gone Before

Star Trek Axiom #1 - When the Vulcan says someone has to die, even your old buddy from the academy, forget the moral quandary. Just kill him.

The Enterprise picks up a 200 year old distress call from the SS Valiant and goes to investigate. They beam aboard the ship's Black Box which looks like an early prototype of Robby the Robot, and find out the Valiant's captain self-destructed the ship. Seems that ESP sensitive crew members went bonkers after flying into a pink energy field . . . the same energy field the Enterprise is flying into right now!

The pink energy field "attacks" the Enterprise, killing and injuring very specific crew members. Sure enough, the ship's most ESP sensitive crew member, Gary Mitchell who is Kirk's old pal from the academy, develops silvery eyes, can read novels in minutes, and starts fucking with the machines in sick bay and shooting lightning from his fingers. The ship's psychiatrist, Deanna Troi, I mean Elizabeth Dehner, is also an ESPy. And Kirk, in not one of his brighter moments, assigns her to look after Gary.

But he's got bigger problems to worry about. The Enterprise's warp engine was damaged, so they beam down to the nearest Federation outpost to gather supplies. AND since Gary has started to turn, I don't know, totally evil, Spock suggests they maroon him on this planet as well after Kirk balks at outright killing his old frat buddy. Spock orders a phaser rifle beamed down to the planet just in case.

Once down there, Gary goes totally demi-god on Kirk and friends then escapes. Dehner who has now also developed the silvery eyes of the psycho ESPy joins him as they build this weird garden of Eden. Kirk shows up, speechifies about how men don't have the wisdom to handle the power of God, then lays a good old fashioned James T Kirk whoop-ass on Gary, encasing him in a stone tomb. (Missus RC's response, "Gee, I wonder if he'll be back.") Deanna Troi dies, thereby TOTALLY fucking up the TNG timeline.  Wait, it was Dehner who died. Scratch that last part.

The writing is indeed pretty clumsy yet there's this nice creepy vibe to all the sick bay scenes between Gary, Kirk, and Dehner.  Maybe it was just the eeire silver contact lenses.

We also start to get some of our regular crew members. Mr. Scott! Sulu! Though Sulu isn't the helmsman yet. In fact, he's just your typical Asian stereotype.

Kirk: "What does the Math say? Mr. Sulu?"

Sulu: "What does the Math say, Captain? Well, here let me stop taking pictures of this banzai tree for a second, take off off my over sized glasses, and stop eating this cat. Then I'll tell you what the math says, you stupid American."

Apparently, the bridge set was complete when they shot this episode, but for some reason the helmsman and ensign seats (from here on referred to as the Sulu and Chekov seats) are reversed. No Uhura or Bones yet either. The doctor is still some old guy with no personality.

Roddenberry's favorite plotline of finding God at the end of the universe is introduced here. It's something he always seems to comes back to. Whatever.

But Spock is Spock, Kirk is Kirk, and it feels far more like Star Trek than "The Cage."
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 01:22:25 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 12:27:31 PM »
I'm already loving this thread!

So Corbomite Maneuver will finally be full-on Trek. Still a few pilot holdovers, but it'll be familiar territory.  Looking forward to your take!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 01:12:44 PM »
You mean the red shirt who dies will actually be wearing a red shirt?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 01:23:17 PM »
You mean the red shirt who dies will actually be wearing a red shirt?

Well, red shirts do make their first appearance. But the red shirt of death thing doesn't really take hold until they decide which colors are what.  (You know you're in full-on red shirt territory once Uhura changes to red. As long as she's gold, it's anything goes!)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »
And no Chekhov until season two, correct?