Author Topic: Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers)  (Read 6345 times)

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers)
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 08:23:31 AM »
So... They remade Space Battleship Yamato as a cartoon series.

And it's awesome. They've updated the characters, added more female characters, and made the storyline a bit grittier. They've updated the effects -- amazing CGI! It's just beautiful.

They've streamlined the story and added a bit more mystery...sort of a perfected hybrid of classic BSG done for 2012 audiences.

And...they've stuck with the heart and soul of the original. Same set-up, same scenes...nostalgic images that become iconic with an episode-by-episode budget of what, I think, is about a billion dollars.

Only 10 episodes so far. But wow.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 10:12:40 PM »
Half price wine night!

Of course NOLA girl had never heard of Star Blazers before, so I feverishly and drunkenly explained the last 40 years to her.

Now she's all, hey, can we watch these new episodes on the big TV in full HD glory?

Oh, yes. Oh...yes. Oh yes!

So, here, just put this on that 1080p HD setting and....oooohhhhh....

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 11:23:59 PM »
Haha! 40 years later and we finally get the science behind the Wave Motion Engine/Gun. It's a black hole generator.

And this latest incarnation is pretty awesome.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 11:20:21 AM »
So episode six, when they're under water and disabled o the terraformed Pluto, is tense and amazing.

Also the first time we see the new Desslock. He's no longer a foppish fool. Instead he has this cool, evil calm...and a female aide whose the same. No hyperactive ranting. In fact, episode six (of ten) is the first he hears of the Yamato, and he dismisses it. He's even forgotten that he left a forward base on Pluto to conquer the distant and inconsequential humans. What a great touch. Suddenly the battle against Earth is some sideshow in a much larger game, headed by a lost patrol. The whole first series is going to be the Yamato simply trying to get out of the solar system (and, of course, getting noticed by the real enemy behind the current losers).

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 08:05:49 AM »
The remake is in its finale arc for season one... It has been solidly amazing for 22 episodes. A loving -- and I mean obsessively loving -- blend of the original and a much needed update. The look, the theme, the feel, even the animation all call back to the original in one way or another without looking clunky or dumb.

The story follows right along, though we now have the much more obvious BSG influences going on. Even then, the reaction isn't "oh, this is post-BSG" it's more like "this is what BSG wished it was."

The last three episodes release (as a movie) on August 23rd, so they should drop sometime in September. No word on a second season...

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 05:00:59 PM »
Nostalgia Sexytime:

Edit: Haha! I showed this to Sirharles and he said "Is that the original?"

Uh...no... You're older than you think, Space Cowboy:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:13:43 PM by nacho »

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 04:31:12 AM »
http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/chris-mcquarrie-to-direct-starblazers-from-70s-sci-fi-anime-series-for-skydance/

Chris McQuarrie To Direct ‘Star Blazers’ From ’70s Sci-Fi Anime Series For Skydance

EXCLUSIVE: Skydance Productions has set Christopher McQuarrie to write and direct Star Blazers, the live-action adaptation of the space-set 1970s anime TV series also known as Space Battleship Yamato. McQuarrie, Josh C. Kline, David Ellison and Dana Goldberg will produce, and Shouji Nizhizaki and Paul Schwake will be exec producers.

Skydance had set McQuarrie to write back when it acquired the series in 2011. In the futuristic Star Blazers, Earth’s atmosphere has been obliterated by a distant alien race, and the survivors have one year before radiation will reach their underground refuge and wipe out the human race. The survivors get a shot of hope in the form of alien technology that can deliver a small crew across the universe and back with the means to stave off extinction. The intention is to hatch a franchise from a series that was ahead of its time, coming before Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica. It becomes another big-scale film for Skydance — which is coming off World War Z, Star Trek: Into Darkness and G.I. Joe: Retaliation – with Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit coming in January. Skydance is working with Paramount and Annapurna on the Terminator reboot, and is developing Geostorm, a global disaster film which Dean Devlin will direct from a script he wrote with Paul Guyot.

McQuarrie is repped by CAA, Key Creatives’ Ken Kamins and attorney David Fox.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 08:20:05 AM »
We've pretty much had a cartoon or live action movie of Star Blazers every single year since 1989. And they've all been horrible.

The latest TV show reboot was amazing...but 26 episodes and it still felt rushed at the end. That's the big problem with a Star Blazers movie. It can't be done in 2 hours. It's a journeyman epic, with complicated politics and relationships. Hell, the recent reboot did it right by not even showing us the bad guy till a quarter of the way through.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 04:34:11 PM »
Jesus... Okay, I'm doing the last 4 episodes.

This is where they either fuck it all up or prove that this reboot is as amazingly awesome as it has been so far...

Sometime next year: Sirharles and I are going to have a Star Blazers 2013 marathon and probably hold each other's hands and cry a bit.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 04:42:23 PM »
Jesus...episode 23 (of 26) has more space battle action than the entirety of the rebooted BSG. And it's fucking off the hook. Relentlessly so. I love that the Yamato uses its shields as a weapon! Oh, we can't shoot them? Full fucking power to the shields and then let's fucking fly into them at full speed!

Put that in your fucking pipe and smoke it.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 11:49:35 PM »
Yes! A movie before the new season!

It's a weird sort of sidequel movie. What was going on while the Yamato made its way back, and looking at some of the characters who got short shrift in the first series. It also sets up the new season's Big Bad.

They're pretty much off on their own now. I guess the new Big Bad is sort of like the White Comet Empire, but they're not really bothering with aping the original series at this point, I think.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 11:52:57 PM »
The title sequence!

All the talking is recapping series one.