Author Topic: Death by Stargate  (Read 18740 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Death by Stargate
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 07:36:21 AM »
I don't think I ever noticed before that Jack receives some sort of mortal injury/threatening mental knowledge download in almost every single episode of season two. It's like Hot Tub Time Machine when he doesn't get hurt.  OOH Jack's gonna get shot! Oh...no.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 08:04:54 AM »
Also...thanks to the repository in season two, they have blueprints for a DHD and, certainly, by the time we get to season six or so (or season eight, with Atlantis equipment, for sure), they can make a DHD for the Earth gate.Yet they don't.

Hell, with the Asgard database in the final season, you'd think they'd learn the old Nox trick where you just turn the gate on at will and walk through irises. But maybe you have to be a hippie with sticks in your hair to do that.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 08:24:29 AM »
Oh, and, I can't even describe what I would do to Amanda Tapping.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 01:10:33 AM »
Season 4, episode 9. Scorched Earth. The terraforming ship is destroying the planet SG1 has haplessly relocated a bunch of hippies to. The ship comes from a benevolent race that's on par with the Ancients, and they return the hippies to their home world which, also, is free of the Goa'uld for thousands of years and on par with the Ancients (we assume).

But...we never hear from any of these fuckers again.

Just saying.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2012, 01:14:30 AM »
Overall, all these super-powers they meet in the first five seasons sort of vanish in the final five, yes? The Nox aren't worried when the Ori come to town? Really? The Nox involve themselves in all sorts of retarded bullshit. The Ori's the only thing they should be worried about, really. But the Nox are completely written out by then.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 07:55:51 AM »
Season 4, episode 10...where SG1 is kidnapped, brainwashed, and forced to work in the bowels of an evil city. Major Carter's fake personality is roughly the same as normal Carter (come to think of it, Tapping has only ever played one character in her entire acting career). She comes up with a plan for a pressure release valve and I just love the administrator's reaction. Today it's a release valve, tomorrow it's full automation, AND THEN CHAOS!!!

I need to have that attitude at work. Today you want a tier 4 career test, tomorrow you'll expect them to be fluent in Chinese, and then who knows what you'll ask! WHO KNOWS!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:57:28 AM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2013, 11:35:43 AM »
I cancelled Netflix, which inspired me to continue my aborted Stargate marathon. I sort of petered out after the doldrums of seasons 6-8.

Mental health day yesterday was spent racing through the last of the 9th season and all of the 10th season, and then the Netflix swansong -- my last hours -- spent with the two movies.

SG1 really had a very satisfying final arc. The last episode of the series is a very subtle, quiet, and well-put together 43 minutes of very pleasing sci-fi. The two movies tie up all the loose ends, and the last movie almost gives us a sort of curtain call.

Got me thinking about other sci-fi finales... A genre famous for fucking up in the final reel, really. Of all the sci-fi shows, I can only think of three satisfying finales. Three times where the show got to do its thing, tell the story, and gently come to a well thought out end. SG1, Blake's 7 (not so gentle) and TNG.

Deep Space 9 and Voyager got their finales, but they were a mess. Babylon 5 rushed to their finale and then claimed that it was planned all along. The BSG reboot and, to a lesser degree, Lost, both dropped the ball. Each telling stories that were, weirdly, more advanced than the writers of the stories.

The art of the sci-fi finale!

So...anyway. Farewell Netflix!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:19:06 PM by nacho »

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »
Good riddance you'll find.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 11:14:46 PM »
So the original movie came up for free on Amazon Prime.

I watched it.

And now I'm marathoning the series again, because... Well, it's been almost a year. Right?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 08:36:14 AM »
Man, we've been hearing this for almost 20 years. But...

A whole lot of sci-fi fans have been bummed ever since the most recent Stargate series, Universe, went off the air a few years ago. Well, we have some good news: The franchise is coming back to the big screen.

But it won’t be a continuation of Stargate SG-1, Atlantis or Universe. Heck, it won’t even be connected to the original 1994 film that started it all. Get ready for a reboot.

Director Roland Emmerich has revealed that he is prepping a trilogy of new Stargate films meant to reboot the franchise. Originally Emmerich had envisioned Stargate as the first part of a trilogy — but MGM opted to make Stargate SG-1 instead, which ran for a decade and led to the two additional TV spinoffs.

Now that the franchise has been dormant a few years, Emmerich decided it was time to come back and give it another shot. Though the rebooted trilogy could borrow from some of his original plans, Emmerich was quick to point out that the new films will not be connected to the original Stargate film, noting “the actors look totally different ... it would not work.”

The films will almost certainly not connect to the SG-1 universe, either, since Emmerich has never really been a huge fan of the small-screen version of the franchise. To this day, he maintains it is not a “canon” continuation from his film.

Here’s what he told Digital Spy:

“We went to MGM, who has the rights, and proposed to them to do a sequel, but as a reboot... and reboot it as a movie and then do three parts. Pretty soon we'll have to look for a writer and start.”

For Stargate fans, this news could come as bittersweet. Yes, the ‘gate will be spinning again, but it won’t be the long-delayed Atlantis or SG-1 spinoff films fans have been waiting on. But Emmerich is the man who helped create the whole thing to begin with — and we’re cautiously optimistic to see where he wants to take the story.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2013, 04:11:39 PM »
Right...I've been waiting for this. Joseph Mallozzi finally talks about the proposed Stargate reboot.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2013/09/12/september-12-2013-whither-stargate/

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 10:54:15 AM »
Here we go!

After three successful television series spanning 14 years and 17 produced seasons, MGM is taking Stargate back to its roots.

The studio announced today that it will produce a new Stargate feature film trilogy, along with partner Warner Bros. (which will handle distribution duties). Heading up the films will be original writer-producer Dean Devlin and director Roland Emmerich, who brought the concept to life with 1994′s Stargate.

Devlin will produce the new films, with Emmerich on board to direct at least the first. Presumably they will also share writing duties.

Based on past comments from the two it seems likely that the new films will signal a “reboot” or continuation of the original, rather than a remake. It will probably pick up a suitable number of years after Stargate, and may or may not include any characters or actors from the 1994 film. (The two will also likely avoid the entirety of the television series’ continuity.)

The two have talked about wanting to revisit Stargate for years, suggesting at one point that their story could co-exist with the TV continuity. (Neither were involved when MGM called upon Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner to adapt the premise into a television series, which premiered on Showtime in 1997.) After Stargate ended its TV run in 2011 and MGM went bankrupt (bringing a major turnover in its roster of executives), Devlin and Emmerich went to the studio and pitched a new trilogy.

Stargate (Movie) - Ra“The Stargate universe is one that we missed terribly, and we cannot wait to get going on imagining new adventures and situations for the trilogy,” Emmerich and Devlin said. “This story is very close to our hearts, and getting the chance to revisit this world is in many ways like a long lost child that has found its way back home.”

MGM head Gary Barber called Emmerich and Devlin “world-class creators of the original Stargate,” and said they will “bring their reinvigorated vision of this wildly popular property to audiences of multiple generations.”

Devlin and Emmerich originally intended Stargate — which starred Kurt Russell and James Spader — to be a trilogy, but gave up the rights when they signed up with MGM to distribute the film in the U.S.

It’s not the only hit from the past that the duo are going back to. After years of speculation FOX announced last year that a sequel to 1996′s Independence Day is also in production. That will be released on July 1, 2016 — meaning the first new Stargate movie is likely to come after.

Stargate has been called MGM’s most important property after James Bond, with Stargate SG-1 helping to launch its television division and earning billions of dollars in worldwide broadcasting.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2014, 11:00:49 AM »
SG: Universe Season 3

Andromeda reboot

Blake's 7 reboot

Pandorum

Dark Matter!

Syfy has picked up "Dark Matter," an original sci-fi show set in the far future, for a 13-episode season to air in 2015.

The show will be produced by Prodigy Pictures -- the company behind "Lost Girl" -- and was created by Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie, both of whom worked on "Stargate SG-1," "Stargate Atlantis" and "Stargate Universe" for Syfy.

In "Dark Matter," the crew of a derelict spaceship is awakened from stasis with no memories of who they are or how they got on board. Facing threats at every turn, they have to work together to survive a voyage charged with vengeance, betrayal and hidden secrets.

Mallozzi and Mullie will serve as executive producers, alongside Jay Firestone and Vanessa Piazza.

"'Dark Matter' is a refreshing and entertaining space opera that blends an intriguing premise with fast-paced suspense," said Chris Regina, Syfy's senior vice president of programming. "It will be a terrific addition to our prime time schedule next year."

The series has been in development for a number of years. In 2012, Mallozzi and Mullie adapted the pilot script into a four-issue comic book miniseries for Dark Horse Comics, which was illustrated by Gary Brown. The television show will be based directly on the comic book.

"We're thrilled to be working with Joe and Paul, who have created a series that revolves around compelling characters that will keep its viewers guessing what's coming up next," said Jay Firestone of Prodigy Pictures.

"Dark Matter" is the latest addition to Syfy's line-up of original sci-fi, which includes new seasons of "Defiance" and "Dominion," the miniseries "Ascension," "Z Nation," "Hunters" and "The Expanse."

No casting details are available yet, but pre-production is well underway, with shooting scheduled to begin before the end of the year. "Dark Matter" will air on Syfy sometime in 2015.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2015, 12:24:54 PM »
I'm dreading this...

Development continues on Roland Emmerich’s planned Stargate remake, with the producer and director tapping writers Nicolas Wright and James A. Woods to pen a new version of his 1994 film. The rebooted Stargate is planned to be the first in a new trilogy, which will presumably see whatever actors are the 21st-century versions of James Spader and Kurt Russell gallivanting across the universe via the titular portal, blowing up gods and pretending 20 years of various Stargate TV spinoffs never existed.

Wright and Woods previously gained prominence after their draft of Independence Day 2 was greenlit by Fox, thus rocketing them into Hollywood’s lucrative “sequels that nobody but Roland Emmerich thinks we need” screenwriting niche. The duo is now faced with the unenviable task of finding new, interesting ground to cover in the Stargate universe, a narrative playground that’s already been explored in more than 300 episodes of TV, dozens of books, and one pretty decent Kurt Russell movie.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 08:59:08 AM »
Man...been following this forever! Now it finally gets a release.

This is basically season three of Universe with cameos from everybody on Atlantis:

David Hewlett is returning to Syfy! This summer Hewlett will reunite with Stargate Atlantis writers Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie on their new show Dark Matter.

Announced near the end of last year, Dark Matter is the television adaptation of the graphic novel of the same name. It follows the crew of a derelict spaceship, who wake up from stasis with no memory of how they got on board or who they are. In the midst of figuring that out, they also have to work together to survive the trip.

Hewlett will have a recurring part as Talbor Calchek. In a slight change for Hewlett, Calchek is a sleazy agent for unsavory mercenaries who will appear in a four-episode arc.

Also guest-starring in the show's first season will be Ruby Rose (Orange is the New Black) as Wendy, described as a "dangerously beautiful android with a full range of pleasure features."

The 13-episode series will premiere on Friday, June 12 at 10PM(ET/PT).