Author Topic: Death by Stargate  (Read 16270 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Death by Stargate
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 01:43:23 PM »
Haha... Oh, god. I started from the beginning last night! Somebody come over and shoot me.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 04:47:43 PM »
Intervention...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »
I'M FINE! I CAN STOP WHENEVER I WANT!!!!!!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »
Ha! I didn't even make it to the end of the first season. I suddenly realized that I've watched these so many times, I don't need to watch them again. So...maybe too soon since my mega marathon that started this thread. Something for 2014!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 12:35:23 PM »
There's going to be a "big SG announcement" at the San Diego Comic-Con on July 12th.

Everyone wants this to be a new show/movie, but it's probably going to be something lame...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 05:14:26 PM »
While we wait for the "big announcement..."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 01:32:34 PM »
Big announcement pre-rumors... Everything from a "reboot" of SG1 to announcing a Bethesda-style video game. The game scenario is more likely.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 10:51:39 AM »
Well...no announcement materialized, except for Big Finish audio adventures. And Chris Judge saying this:

Stargate‘s Christopher Judge (“Teal’c”) may be headed back to your television with a role in a brand new science fiction series.

Speaking in an interview with Red Carpet News TV at last week’s London Film and Comic Con, Judge hinted that an announcement about the show is coming very soon.

“It’s a sci-fi show,” Judge said. “We are going to announce soon. We’ve already signed a deal with a certain company, and I think fans will get a kick out of who it is. And we are in negotiations with a second company that also fans will get a kick out of, because they are doing some of the best stuff in film right now. And it will be only their second foray into television. I can’t wait to let it out of the bag.”

The actor said he believes both Stargate fans and sci-fi fans in general will be excited about the new show.

“The announcements will probably be relatively soon,” Judge said — “probably in the next month or so.”

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
Stupid Sirharles has me marathoning the show again...  Though it's also in response to the remastered TNG releases (for the 25th Anniversary! 25 years since TNG!! Kill me now...) which have everyone saying, wow, TNG was beautiful...too bad the scripts and acting were so terrible.

Stargate, however, started out so strong... Such a wonderful ensemble, and an almost natural storytelling method... That would, eventually, burn them in the end but, in the first seasons, it's just lovely. And stands the test of time.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
Yes, as discussed I've been going back to the older episodes.  Kind of picking and choosing which one's I feel like watching, no real order.  But I have to say in season's 9 and 10 when the Ori came in and RDA left it kind of picked up again.  The chemistry between Claudia Black and Michael Shanks was really good.  I felt like it was picking up steam again and could have gone on.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »
Yeah, the Browder years did breathe new life into it. But too little too late, I think. The Stargate Doldrums really sort of stretched for three seasons there -- six through eight. Then Atlantis gave us a little bit of over-saturation from season eight onwards.

Sad, really. I realize that, of all the sci-fi franchises, I miss Stargate the most. Even at its worst, it was reliable sci-fi. It was able to handle mega-story-arcs without getting too self-involved (like BSG and the modern Doctor Who) and threw in the perfect combination of humor and adventure. The occasional Dr. Frasier-level death kept the comedy grounded and everyone just, simply, inhabited their characters.

That and 15 years of creating the lore of the Stargate universe from the ground up... The only other show to have such a cohesive world built around it like that is Star Trek (Doctor Who was always ad-hoc when it came to a series bible or a "Doctor Who universe", attempts at all that in the old show were few and far between -- truly a show more about the character himself (who, even then, changes dramatically when he's replaced every few years) than the universe he exists in).

Anyway...I'm halfway through season two.

One question -- is it ever established that the Alpha Site has an iris? Because whenever there's the "we lost our transmitters so how are we going to get to Earth" problem, I always wonder -- why not go to the Alpha Site?

I'm probably just forgetting. They also sort of retconned the whole Alpha Site protocol, anyway, right? They talk about it from season two onwards but we never actually see it (or do we?) until fucking Parker Lewis gets interrogated by Anubis.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
Yes, the Alpha site is pretty much just left hanging there with no real direction or forethought into a story arc about it.  But it doesn't really need it.  The only real need for the Alpha site in any of the story arcs is for a mentionable escape hatch when the world is about to end.  I would assume that it did have an iris, but I don't recall it ever being actually shown. 

Let's face it Stargate, as with any show, could be picked apart ad-nauseum, but it's the general story arc and character building that really brings you back time and time again.  I own all 10 seasons on DVD and I still will watch them on instant view.  You enjoy watching the characters grow, the long thought out story arcs, the big bads that keep getting bigger and badder.  I think that's one of the reasons seasons six and seven where kind of dull.  You have the G'ould, who you've had since inception.  Yes, bigger and more evil system lords arise, but in essence it's still the same bad guys.  The replicators where stupid, and while they kept trying to make them the bigger badder it failed.  Even though the never really gave up the ghost on those (i.e. Atlantis).  The human replicators...okay, maybe, but even there they didn't really sell it.  It wasn't until the Ori came in and showed the G'ould what true evil really was that the show picked back up with a good bad guy.  Same thing with Atlantis, their big miss was dismissing the Wraith after the first season or two.  Here is the opportunity for a great bad guy.  Makes the G'ould look like pussies and there are just masses and masses of them.  But I digress.  Oh and by the way....we need to get lives.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 01:45:46 PM »
And, Jesus, the TOTAL lack of bad guys in Universe... The blue aliens were useless, and the drones...what the fuck was that whole storyline? That didn't even make sense.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 01:54:26 PM »
Oh, and, one thing I love about the "journey" of the bad guys is how the defeat of the G'ould is slow, methodical, painful, and never really complete till the follow-up movies.  It takes years, and forging painful alliances... Most shows never know how to handle the baddies -- the other instances of the Stargate franchise included!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Also, am I the only one who secretly wants a new Stargate show that's centered around Hermiod during his time on the Daedalus?