Author Topic: TV 2.0 (Netflix vs. Amazon vs The Old Gods)  (Read 28995 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: TV 2.0 (Netflix vs. Amazon vs The Old Gods)
« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2017, 12:35:32 PM »
The latest round of Amazon pilots all suck...except for Oasis.

So Earth is a wreck in the near future and a bunch of wealthy people are setting up a colony on a new planet, which is a barren wasteland with an atmosphere. The colony has just been established and a crew of indentured servant-style workers (they're working off prison sentences) are up there getting it ready.

The founder of the colony calls for his old buddy, a priest, to come to the colony because this brave new world needs God.

When the priest arrives, he finds his buddy missing and discovers that his identity and purpose have been hidden from the other colonists. Mystery ensues.

It's a little bit like that other colony show that failed a while back...can't remember the name. With a touch of Alien 3 and Dune. And maybe a little bit of planet-side Firefly. And The Expanse. And, you know, everything else. But it also has a very old-school sci-fi feel. It's like something you'd read in the 60s or 70s. And it's well acted.

You get the tiny teaser at the 1:06 mark:

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #196 on: December 27, 2017, 01:57:04 PM »
So I watched Bright...and I enjoyed it! Quite a bit, actually. I mean, it's stupid. This isn't a major movie that'll change your life. It's good, dumb fun. It's entertaining, the world building is well balanced and interesting, it hits the right comedy notes, it hits the right action notes, everyone's acting is up to par.

Basically, it's Alien Nation meets Prophecy set a few thousand years after the Lord of the Rings trilogy. And it sort of works. I sort of wish it was a series.

So, again, it's just dumb fun. But the hatred being heaped on it is astounding. This isn't a bad movie. And the critical claim that it feels like it was "Written by algorithms"? Jeez... I think we have to go back to the 30's to find a movie that wasn't written by algorithms.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #197 on: December 27, 2017, 03:47:52 PM »
I'm just going to start replying to every post with "The Internet has ruined everything."

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2018, 12:09:04 PM »
Haunting of Hill House is insanely complicated and weirdly good... Worth the effort of binging.

Also, RC, you and Mrs. RC need to get The Curious Creations of Karen McConnell in you stat.