Author Topic: Stargate Universe: Season 2. Psych Evals and Moonshine  (Read 7597 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Stargate Universe: Season 2. Psych Evals and Moonshine
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 09:22:30 AM »
Well, with the exception of several glaring problems, we finally got a decent episode.  Everyone knows about the bridge, and the mission is the same as in the first season of Space: 1999 with an Arthur Clark twist -- we're inadvertently heading towards god and/or the origin of life.

The problems -- how come the Lucian Alliance asshole is still there when they made a big point of kicking all the assholes off the ship?  He has no info, he's a liability.  And how come he has a guard who just stands there staring into space when he assaults the VIP-our-lives-depend-on-her Dr. Perry? And how come that same guard allows him, just hours after the assault, to go into her room and lock the door?

And I love Rush turning on life support in the alien ship and having his helmet off before he even finishes saying that life support is back on.  Now...just hold your breath for 30 minutes while the ship pumps oxygen in. 

(And, of course, Young with his machine gun out in the weightless, airless ship...)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 04:56:24 PM »
The latest episode is passable. There were only five or six times where I went, "What the fuck?" and had to shake off nonsense. So that's a record for SGU!

Sadly, it's still better than episode three of Walking Dead.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 08:54:10 AM »
Haha!  You know a show is bad when the high point of an episode is when the Repair Bot gets a cameo!

I was all, yawn, okay, whatever, blah blah... Hey!!  Repair Bot!!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 07:48:16 AM »
Well, the latest episode made no sense!  And then the Battlestar Pegasus arrived....Er....I mean...and then a seeder ship arrived and it got even more ridiculous.

But there were big space battles, so okay.  Whatever.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 05:21:36 PM »
Cancelled. Last episode in early '11. Will post a link when I'm home.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 05:29:22 PM »
Syfy Cancels 'Stargate Universe'

After weeks of speculation, Syfy just announced that it won't renew  Stargate Universe for a third season, putting an end (for now) to the long-running Stargate franchise on the network. The upcoming 10 episodes of Stargate Universe's second season, which will air  in the Spring, will be the series' last. The news follows the recent cancellation of another franchise Syfy series, the Battlestar Galactica prequel Caprica. The Stargate franchise -- consisting of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe -- has aired on Syfy since 2002. Syfy's slate of returning series includes Warehouse 13, Eureka and Haven, which will be joined next year by new series Being Human, which launches on January 17, the recently greenlit series Alphas as well the Battlestar Galactica prequel movie/backdoor pilot Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 05:41:24 PM »
On one hand, this is sad... Because the story had so much potential. And it's Stargate. And, hell, it hasn't been as fucking awful as the last couple seasons of Atlantis.

But...it's been pretty bad.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 10:25:07 AM »
Mallozi hints on his blog that there's good news coming regarding the franchise. My bet is that Sci-Fi will throw them a bone and let them do the movies.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 06:13:59 PM »
Here, I'll just quote the announcement because it makes Sirharles go crazy every time French Stewart is listed as a gust star and nobody mentions his Stargate connection.

STARGATE UNIVERSE - Returns Monday March 7, at 10PM - Syfy's drama-adventure series returns for its anticipated final ten episodes. The new episodes pick up with the Destiny crew in a battle with a drone command ship and the surprise arrival of the aliens that abducted Dr. Nicholas Rush (Robert Carlyle) and Chloe (Elyse Levesque). The final season culminates with a dramatic conclusion for the fate of the Destiny crew, who face a difficult crossroads when they realize the time has come for them to take a risky stand ... or they will be left adrift forever.

Guest stars appearing in the final episodes include Victor Garber (Alien, Titanic), French Stewart (3rd Rock From The Sun), Robert Picardo (Stargate SG-1, Star Trek: Voyager, China Beach), Kathleen Quinlen (Apollo 13) and Julie McNiven (Supernatural, Mad Men).

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 04:46:15 PM »
Season two starts again on Friday. The final 10 episodes will be burned off without interruption and then we'll be Stargate-less! Which, I realize, we haven't been since 1997 with the exception of a year between the Atlantis cancellation and the start of Universe, but most of that year was spent talking about Universe and the movies. So this will be the first time we hit a gap and there's nothing on the horizon. 

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 05:09:05 PM »
I have to admit, I'm not to broken up by that.  Universe really kind of killed it for me.  I still have the last three episodes from before the break DVR'd and I have zero interest in watching them.  If it picks up and tries to redeem itself, maybe, but right now.....snore.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
  If it picks up and tries to redeem itself

LOL

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 08:58:32 AM »
Oh! They moved it to Mondays! Watching episode 11 right now. I love how it starts up in the middle of the battle where they left off months ago. So the first five minutes are trying to remember all the crazy shit that happened pre-hiatus. Which is okay because then they spent five hours talking about it and repeating the same things over and over.

With all the desperate "last man" stuff (our stranded crew, and the aliens who are the last of their kind) and the pursuit by a machine drone menace, I feel like I'm watching a fan-made BSG episode. Like fans acting as the characters on $3 sets.

You know, another thing -- the Ancients have broken the rules for 15 years. But when we come to The Most Important Quest in Time and Space, not a peep?

Hell, the last we heard from the Ancients half of them were ready to uplift Humanity, right? Isn't that what Morgan said in the last movie?

The big problem with Stargate is that humanity is on the verge of enlightenment. The Ancients are closer than ever to becoming involved, and we're sitting on top of the Asgard database. Atlantis is on Earth. Humanity's the most powerful race in the universe ever, actually. The combined power of the Ancients, the Asgard, and the ascended Ancients. So how do you go on from there, franchise-wise?

You do NOT create a show where all of that technology seems lost and Earth is worried about some crappy Lucian Alliance uprising and are unable to rescue the SGU crew even though the Ancients didn't need a lava planet to get to Destiny and -- oh, hey, Atlantis has the fucking wormhole drive, remember? It can get to Destiny in about three hours. 

Since late in SG1, Stargate has made the classic error of relying on increasingly godlike Dues ex Machina's (that's dei ex machina. right Latin students?). So now you can't make a normal series with normal people. i.e., the "gritty space drama" is out the door. So is the "journeyman" space drama like SGU. Earth has the Ancient database and the Asgard database, which means they know the location of every single gate in three galaxies. And if they ever recover Destiny, they'll have a map of the gate system for the entire universe. They have a fleet of ships as strong as any Asgard vessel that we can only assume is ever-growing as time goes on.

The Ori are a classic example of the problems with the franchise. Any possible future villain has to, simply, be godlike. But even then there's no lasting threat.

I think SGU, in copying BSG, is a sign of where things will go. The big clue for the next step in the franchise is in the titles of the two proposed follow-up films -- "Revolution" and "Extinction."

So, I'm calling it -- the next iteration of Stargate is going to be the apocalypse!

Which, I think, sucks. Because Stargate is best when it's a light-hearted ensemble show about new discoveries.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »
If you still care, Sirharles, last night's episode was one of the worst. If we had more than 10 episodes to go, I'd quit. But we're almost there...might as well ride it out.

But, seriously -- since you're still back with the early episodes, just delete them from your DVR. It's not worth it. It's insulting, in fact, if you're a Stargate fan.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 08:48:59 AM »
Deleted...and wow what a way to end the franchise.