Author Topic: Holiday Beers!  (Read 8385 times)

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
Re: Holiday Beers!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »
i need to get to the grocery store!  anchor steam winter ale was the one i was thinking of, not sierra nevada, and it's now arrived.  so i need to grab that. 
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 07:46:59 AM »
It's yummy.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »
Red Hook always puts out great seasonal beers, but Winter Hook is the one we could never keep in stock.  There's just something brilliant about it.  It's not a christmas beer, overloaded with hints of cinammon or gingerbread or anything like that.  Just a good medium weight, tiny bits of bitter, and great with things like baked ham or cheese straws. 

This has really done me right the past couple of weeks.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 05:46:15 PM »
awesome!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 10:26:27 PM »
So I'm really kind of crazily excited for the Anchor Steam Christmas Ale.  It was my favorite Christmas Ale last year.  I stumbled across it in La Vale, MD, where I was staying at a hotel across from a prison.  I was the only guest and I got two six packs of the Christmas Ale at some scary fucking country place...and couldn't stop drinking it!

This weekend is our monthly dinner and I plan to spin by my overpriced coolie beer shop to stock up on winter brews.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Wow... Don't know if I got a bad batch or what, but this year's Anchor Steam Christmas Ale is a huge disappointment. 

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 10:28:31 PM »
No, it tastes nothing like Christmas.  I'm trying to identify what else it tastes like.  You owe me $10.50 nacho.  I bet everyone drinking Brooklyn Winter Ale tonight is laughing at schmucks like us. 

Okay, here's some more I had over the past week:

Harpoon Winter Warmer is very christmas-y with all the nutmeg.  But almost a little too sweet, and not in a malty way.  Not sure what they did.  Very good, but I could only do about two at a time.

Gordon Biersch Winterbock was really malty, which I didn't approve of, but nonetheless a pretty "wintery" beer.  Not too heavy and would be good post holiday pig-outs, especially if ham is involved.  I wouldn't recommend it on its own, though. 

Maybe I should make a wishlist!  Saw the aforementioned Brooklyn Winter Ale today.  Red Hook Winterhook is always a favorite, as is Flying Dog's Horn Dog Barleywine.  I've never been big on Sierra Nevada Celebration ale, but after finding out that it's well-regarded as "THE" holiday beer a lot of places country-wide, I'm thinking maybe I should give it a third chance. 

Then there's Double Bastard.

Similar to a Barleywine in texture, sweetness and intensity, “Double Bastard” is a spinoff of Stone’s wildly popular “Arrogant Bastard” Strong Ale. Amped up, oak-aged and vintage-dated, this winter seasonal “Bastard” is designed to be cellared for one to two years. Collectors, avid to score a rare 22 oz ‘bomber’ for their cellar, await each new ‘vintage’ with bated breath, only to face daily temptation to open it once they succeed. Even tasted young, this beer commands hypnotic power over ale addicts. Wave after wave of psychedelic flavors crash over the senses; candied grapefruit, toffee, marmalade, flan and wow, grapefruit again! Mere mortals cannot be expected to resist its charms or concentrate on anything else after the first sip, so hire a babysitter and unplug the phone before you crack the seal.

Probably available locally if I look around enough.  Sounds indulgent.  10% ABV!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 07:34:05 AM »
Yeah, sorry... I'll try Brooklyn over the weekend here.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 12:26:05 PM »
Brooklyn Winter Ale is a very satisfying beer.  L claims it tastes "bacon-y".  There is a slightly "fatty" taste to it somehow, but nicely sweet as well.  Like honeybaked ham! 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 02:42:23 PM »
Yeah, got some.  Not as much a fan.  It's basically just a Scottish ale... That's why there's that "bacon-y" thing.  Toasted malts, caramel, etc. 

Christmas Ales are striking out this year.  Magic Hat's Howl is consistent, and very likable, but it's nothing to really write home about. Flying Dog's K-9 remains excellent... But I want something new!  With Flying Dog 30 miles away and Magic Hat's emergence as Yuppie Drone Beer #1, I'm no longer surprised.

The Anchor Steam has been reduced to cooking beer (made a killer crockpot chicken chili with two bottles), Sierra Nevada's Celebration is oddly forgettable.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 07:03:24 PM »
Am I loser because I love Sam Adam's Winter Lager?

On second thought, don't answer that.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 12:05:11 AM »
Am I loser because I love Sam Adam's Winter Lager?

Y--

On second thought, don't answer that.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 09:36:49 PM »
well, i'm going to try to get down to Martin's this friday and find some good things.  All the grocery store has is brooklyn and sierra nevada and, of course, Abita's Christmas ale which sucks.  K-9 hasn't showed up yet, and neither has winterhook.  like i said...they're still trying to whittle down their inventory of hefeweissens from the summer. 

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 01:54:10 AM »
finally found a way to tolerate the Evan Williams Honey, Nacho.  1 shot mixed with a pint of eggnog!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 02:46:25 AM »
I got Blue Moon's Winter Abbey Ale tonight which isn't too bad. Nacho suggested Sierra Nevada's celebration, but the Blue Moon was $5 cheaper.

Pretty tasty. A little wheaty, but it's not overbearing.