Author Topic: The Fall of Obama  (Read 33374 times)

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
Re: The Fall of Obama
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »
It's ridiculous that 8 billion dollars can't get this done. Fuck the banks and their interest rates.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2011, 09:51:37 PM »
What do banks and interest rates have to do with this?

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2011, 08:36:06 AM »
Didn't you read about the lizards?
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
Too long to post, but this is a really good recap/fact check of Obama's SOTU speech.

http://news.yahoo.com/state-union-fact-checking-president-022136336--abc-news.html

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2012, 02:03:30 PM »
Do you know what's really sad? I didn't even know the SOTU was last night. I really have completely unplugged from the world.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »
You're not missing much. It's just the end times.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »
It's been the end times since the Titanic sank.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »
I think it's really on this time.

Actually "end times" is maybe too much hyperbole, but the death of the American republic is well underway. The internet was supposed to set us free, but the 24 hour news cycle is going to destroy our government... or at the very least keep it from functioning properly. The whole 2012 election build-up saddens me. The death of journalism saddens me. The inability for people to have an intelligent discussion about anything in a public forum saddens me. American political culture has become just one big never-ending reality show.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »
Well, the republic's been dying since 1945. That's nothing new either. It takes a while. It always does. It took Rome's republic about 200 years to collapse, and you could argue that the empire was in collapse almost the day it began. Or, rather, merely a symptom of the republic's overall and ongoing collapse.

But the post-WWII sea change in how we did things -- from international affairs to politics to society -- is pretty clear.

We see it more now, yes, because we're surrounded by 24 hour news. And, improbably, we're increasingly surrounded as technology moves on. First it was the 24 hour TV news, and then the internet, and now we carry it in our pockets...

How these things go, sadly, is that we won't really know it when it happens. We'll just gradually fade into the night. Power centers will shift, bottoms will drop out, bubbles will burst, but we'll be generally okay. The dying aristocrats clinging on to an ever-decreasing sphere of influence until, one day, an empire becomes a nation, and a nation becomes a city and, somewhere down the line, our children or grandchildren find themselves peering from decaying battlements at the siege engines.

But you and me? We'll have our houses, we'll have our lives. Like the end days of Republican Rome, we benefit from a massive slave economy.

Actually -- a fun fact. One in every five people in Rome was a slave. Rough estimates are that 2-3 billion people today are effectively slaves (the people who make our shirts, our shoes, our furniture, our gadgets, etc. The sweatshop types). So what's the math there? It's a higher percentage of "slaves" than in ancient Rome, no?

Another startling little historical nugget is the idea that many Roman slaves would enslave themselves voluntarily. You'd get slave teachers, lawyers, and other professionals. Nannys and butlers and all that sort. They'd earn a stipend, or expect something in their master's will, and be treated better than actual proper slave slaves, but would still be property.

The parallels are horrifying. But the fall, still, will be gentle for good old WASPS like us.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2012, 03:37:30 PM »
Now I want to read "The Fall of the Roman Empire" again.

The sad part of what you describe is at least the idea (and maybe this is naivete on my part) that philosophically the American experiment was supposed to be better than the Romans' slave "democracy." Then again, the founders couldn't even make a decision on their own slavery issue when they formed the country, so maybe that's stupid too.

But the idea of a government that could evolve, that could change as the world around it changed has always seemed to be what makes America unique. I like to think that's what the founders intended. Yet it's a fear of change that's sinking us, isn't it?

(And yes, I did and do buy into the Jeffersonian "myth" that the principles of freedom were as important as financial independence from the crown. Again, call me naive.)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »
The Romans were never trying for a democracy.

Slavery became a fact of life more as an aspect of that plunder economy than anything else -- defeated peoples became slaves. But then it became an attractive economic decision if they were from a culture forever under the boot, such as the Greeks who would become slave doctors and teachers. So, as with us, making a few pennies a day to work in a sneaker factory so Rotting Corpse and Nacho can buy Nikes was more attractive than living off of the street. Except it went to ridiculous levels.

Once in a slavery situation, as you point out with the founding fathers, it's hard to extricate yourself from it because your economy relies on it. Especially if you're running a (as we were then) an agrarian economy.

As for evolving with the world -- have we? How much have we changed over the last 250 years? I mean, of course we have... But really. Deep down. The way we run things and approach things politically and socially.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2012, 02:14:56 AM »
If you want to live in a world where you have little fear of the government stealing your land, your wife, your children, etc. and a world where no one tells you what you have to be when you grow up or that you have to live the rest of your life disfigured/forever in debt because of a crime you committed then this is still the country for you.

Fuck!  If even ten percent of our population, if only the three most populous cities in our country were subjected to the types of protest and unrest that happened in Cairo and other mideast capitals last year MAYBE we could all feel a little disturbed.  As it is, the entire globe went through a major economic upheaval due to our own mistaken valuation of real estate and still, STILL the vast majority of us have a higher standard of living than people in our own country fifty years ago. 

Death of the republic only exists on the ideological plane.  I'm a goddamn liberal and even I'm ready to refer you to Iran, Syria, or even goddamn Mexico.  The only difference between us and every other country is that we sort of pretend we're moral.  It's not like there's another country out there going, "Tut, tut, America, this is how you do it.  Tards." 

We are evolving the world!  We form everything around us.  We are gravity.  This isn't the best thing, but for all intents and purposes it means that our citizens are insulated from any kind of harshness.  We read stories all the time about grandmothers not affording heating oil and welfare outliers drawing down thousands in benefits but none of that is fucking real!  it's all bell curve edge nonsense.  All of us are bumping around sucking on the Grand Teat and still somehow complaining that it's only a C cup. 

If you can think of a time when the presidential race was full of decorum and gentlemanly sport, then I'll ask you how you got a brain transplant from someone in the 18th century.  I'm tired of this blaming 24 hour news networks.  Some version of them has always existed.  And at this point they are even waning in influence because there are too many of them and not enough content.  The idea that someone was paying attention to any of these networks for 24 hours or even a week and letting that influence their minds...that's the ultimate joke.  The ultimate hand-off.  There is no silent majority with spoons in their mouths that blissfully watch CNN or FOX all day.  It's just impossible.  no one is that un-human.  The same way there's no one who listens to NPR for 24 hours.  people flit in and take a bite and then see if it fits in their social circle.  That's all.  There isn't one single sane person who has watched all 15 Republican debates and tried to make a sensible decision based on the sum of the material. 

The media has one agenda above all others: ensure that only the media has the answers.  I've tried to say it many times: just because it's on tv or radio 24 hours doesn't mean that 300 million people believe it.  There's a huge gap between how America is presented in graphs on TV and how it actually exists.  Same goes for the internet, newspapers, and indie rock.  The only lie we've bought into over and over is that if a screen tells us it's the truth, then it's probably close to the truth.  Hence the five times a year RC says something like, "It's all over!  The country is burning!  Christ!"  and yet nothing happens.  What we all fail to learn is that cable TV news is becoming outdated and in a decade no one will care that we somehow, some way, we trusted these people. 

You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2012, 07:45:46 AM »
I love it when you snap to attention, Cass.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2012, 01:45:06 AM »
If I didn't have a life I'd be working on a "complete and cohesive" manifesto.  But it turns out...I'm busy. 
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
Romney's ahead in the "what if they were elected today" poll.

We actually do need to try and stop the Mormons, you know.