Author Topic: Documentaries  (Read 16729 times)

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Documentaries
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2012, 11:13:52 PM »
Let me know when yours reaches rock.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »
Watching Craigslist Joe right now...which sort of reaffirms my belief in humanity.

A guy and a cameraman (picked up from Craigslist) go on a 31 day trick into America using Craigslist. No money, no credit cards, no contact with friends or family. Food, money, transport, and lodging must all be achieved using CL.

Of course, the type of people who respond to the ads and take out the ads that would accommodate this sort of thing (at least, as of the 30 minute mark) are the periphery down and out loser types. The same sort of broken down people you become without cash, food, or lodging, or the means to get it. These weird ass types who, nevertheless, are salt of the earthers who work hard, are generally simple and, so, loving and ever-eager for the all too alien or remote connection with humanity.

That, so far, is the theme of the film. The guy's purpose is to rediscover a sense of community in America...and, in a way, he does. But the community is this vast, troubled, underclass. Or sub class, perhaps. The not quite have nots who don't fit in.

Fascinating really. An hour to go, so I'm waiting for something scary to happen. Though I get the feeling that the nature of the documentary sort of demands that the only contact with CL people will be those of the harmlessly crazy variety.

Anyway...check it out. I'll report back shortly to let you know if I end up watching the guy's brutal murder.

e: He survives! And meets the owner of Craigslist. And cries alot.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:38:37 PM by nacho »

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2013, 08:20:08 AM »
Holy shit. RC -- all of you -- need to get Searching for Sugarman in you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Searching_for_Sugar_Man

There's so much... A no-hit wonder in the 70's becomes (unbeknownst to anyone) a gigantic hit in South Africa, and is instrumental in inspiring the anti-apartheid movement. He sells a zillion albums and the money goes...nowhere. A wonderful interview with one of the record label producers turns wildly hostile and is, like, woah...what?

Rumor is he burned himself on stage, or shot himself. Suicided during a concert. So two South Africans set out to get to the bottom of the story of this guy who vanished from the musical scene after two albums and, yet, has inspired the country for two generations.

And I'll say no more lest I spoil it. Just watch it.

Offline Disco Dust

• Tourista
  • Putting the lotion in the basket
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
Rodrigo was featured on 60 Minutes a few weeks ago as well... 8)

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2013, 06:16:30 PM »
Ooh... My Amityville Horror! This looks awesome!

For the first time in 35 years, Daniel Lutz recounts his version of the infamous Amityville haunting that terrified his family in 1975. George and Kathy Lutz's story went on to inspire a best-selling novel and the subsequent films have continued to fascinate audiences today. This documentary reveals the horror behind growing up as part of a world famous haunting and while Daniel's facts may be other's fiction, the psychological scars he carries are indisputable.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2014, 07:26:24 PM »

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2014, 04:03:17 PM »
This wasn't really on my radar...but the trailer sold it.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2014, 08:02:10 PM »
Yeah. I'll watch that.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2014, 08:13:25 PM »

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2014, 10:35:20 AM »
Have you been followingthe news articles and interviews about this? I can't remember if I've been posting them or not...but the whole damn thing is fascinating.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2014, 11:20:42 AM »
I remember reading about the Alamogordo dig.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2014, 05:35:34 PM »
A little slanted in my mind. ET is being scapegoated here as this terrible game. It wasn't great, but certainly not the worst Atari imagining. Pac man was worse. Many games were significantly worse. Based on my own research of a few years ago now, this game is held up as a symbol, but overall quality and the poison of success are more to blame for The Crash of the Atari age and eventually Nintendo's rise to fill the void.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2014, 08:30:08 AM »
A little slanted in my mind. ET is being scapegoated here as this terrible game. It wasn't great, but certainly not the worst Atari imagining. Pac man was worse. Many games were significantly worse. Based on my own research of a few years ago now, this game is held up as a symbol, but overall quality and the poison of success are more to blame for The Crash of the Atari age and eventually Nintendo's rise to fill the void.

This. Kind of how the wave of geekdom articles have summed up the situation.

Even if E.T. was a major success, they produced so much inventory there would have still been excess to unload. The larger picture is actually more fascinating than the hunt for E.T.

(I'll go ahead and say that the link below may well be a close cousin of what we'll be reading about Apple in a few years...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2014, 08:58:43 AM »
Great read!

"Recently released games which initially sold for USD$35 were in bins for $5." -- I loved these bins. I still regret not buying a copy of Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes that I saw in one of these bins once.