Author Topic: Book Wishlist/Exchange thread  (Read 16034 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Book Wishlist/Exchange thread
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 02:34:13 PM »
Time to get excited about Stephen King again.  His new horror novel comes out soon, and it sounds cool (and also stolen from a 1950's sci-fi flick that I've forgotten the name of).

The first cool thing is the cover: 

http://simon.worldarcstudio.com/WAS/LandingPage/v1/130/staging/22177_bookreveal.php

The other exciting bit is that this is old King.  It's his "Sunday Archives":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome

Under the Dome is an upcoming novel by Stephen King, scheduled to be released on November 10, 2009.[1] It is a rewrite of a novel King attempted writing twice in the late 1970s and early 1980s, under the titles The Cannibals and Under the Dome.[2] As King stated on his official site, these two unfinished works "were two very different attempts to utilize the same idea, which concerns itself with how people behave when they are cut off from the society they've always belonged to. Also, my memory of The Cannibals is that it, like Needful Things, was a kind of social comedy. The new Under the Dome is played dead straight." From the material originally written in the 1980s, only the first chapter is included in the new novel.

The plot:

On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester’s Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener’s hand is severed as “the dome” comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when—or if—it will go away. Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens—town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician’s assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing—even murder—to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn’t just short. It’s running out.

And thanks to the internet, I found the movie I'm thinking of:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060396/

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 03:05:51 PM »
I've read about "The Cannibals" for years. The original concept was the one I wanted to read: A group of people are trapped in an apartment building and end up having to eat each other to survive.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 01:31:02 PM »
Well, slowly morphing this thread into random publishing news...

Charlaine Harris says she's done with Sookie!  She has four more books in her contract, and then Sookie Stackhouse is gone.

Not that True Blood is actually keeping up with the books.  They're just, you know, using names and locations.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 08:04:09 PM »
Okay...for somewhere way down the path, I picked up a history on the WV Mine Wars.  Arrived today.  The plan:  Aqctually get my head together enough to work on a project with Cass.  Sexy!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 08:04:58 PM »
Time to get excited about Stephen King again.  His new horror novel comes out soon, and it sounds cool (and also stolen from a 1950's sci-fi flick that I've forgotten the name of).

The first cool thing is the cover: 

http://simon.worldarcstudio.com/WAS/LandingPage/v1/130/staging/22177_bookreveal.php

The other exciting bit is that this is old King.  It's his "Sunday Archives":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome

Under the Dome is an upcoming novel by Stephen King, scheduled to be released on November 10, 2009.[1] It is a rewrite of a novel King attempted writing twice in the late 1970s and early 1980s, under the titles The Cannibals and Under the Dome.[2] As King stated on his official site, these two unfinished works "were two very different attempts to utilize the same idea, which concerns itself with how people behave when they are cut off from the society they've always belonged to. Also, my memory of The Cannibals is that it, like Needful Things, was a kind of social comedy. The new Under the Dome is played dead straight." From the material originally written in the 1980s, only the first chapter is included in the new novel.

The plot:

On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester’s Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener’s hand is severed as “the dome” comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when—or if—it will go away. Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens—town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician’s assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing—even murder—to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn’t just short. It’s running out.

And thanks to the internet, I found the movie I'm thinking of:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060396/

Oh, and this also arrived today.  But I have, like, 800 books to work through before I get to these.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 10:43:48 PM »
yes! WV miners!  actually, the book i'm reading right now would be a great mini-series as well.  i'm really considering trying my hand at at least one adaptation next year, with or without you. 
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 04:10:16 PM »
Right, so, Under the Dome.  It's not as bad as Cell.  But it's pretty fucking weak.  Not the "King comeback" novel it's being billed as.  I'm watching Gaydar Defying Gravity right now and god bored with the episode so I flipped open Under the Dome and started reading as well.  As a sad critique on both the book and Defying GRavity, it was able to follow both storylines without missing a beat.

An example: Along with a couple in a plane, the opening chapter of Under the Dome is told from the viewpoint of a woodchuck.  And the cast of characters in the beginning features "dogs of note."  So, yeah, King has fucking lost it.  And I mean lost it 100%.  It is gone.  All talent, ability, and creativity.  Gone.  Gone, gone, gone.

That said, I'm hooked after five pages.  And since he's copying that movie I linked to above, it's great.  Instead of stupid 1950's goofballs, it's modern day Stephen King characters going through all the motions.  So...that's neat.  And it doesn't have the feeling Cell had - where you wonder if King pulled an Ellison and sat down at the kitchen table while his agent was in the next room and pounded the story out in 5 minutes.

I'm glad I only paid 8 bucks for the hardcover, though.  As with much of modern King -- worth stealing, not worth reading.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 06:16:51 PM »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 08:23:40 PM »
Yeah, just about.

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »
Or, you know, it was ghost written.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 08:44:50 PM »
Actually, King does write all this stuff.  Unlike many famous authors.

But, hey, look at me.  12,000 words a month just because I drunkenly want to see if I can do it.  Now imagine if I had millions of dollars worth of incentive.  1000 page novels every nine months?  YES!  As long as the checks cash.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 10:51:30 PM »
I was told to read 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro. Anyone read it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Let_Me_Go

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 11:14:48 AM »
Nope...but thrilled to see that Alex Garland did the screenplay.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »
More details at: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/after-keeping-us-waiting-for-a-century-mark-twain-will-finally-reveal-all-1980695.html

(what's quoted below is not from that source)

Mark Twain spent the last decade of his life writing over 5,000 pages of memoir. He asked that none of it be published until 100 years after his death in 1910. This November, the University of California will publish the first volume of this work, which, as befits one of the true giants of American letters, is full of raging gossip!

The most salacious part of the 500,000-word memoir is the 400 pages Twain wrote during the last year of his life, about a relationship he had with his secretary, Isabel Van Kleek Lyon, after the death of his wife. Lyon and Twain were so close she liked to buy him vibrators (really), but the two had a falling out in 1909 that left Twain a teensy bit peeved. As a historian told The Independent:

"Most people think Mark Twain was a sort of genteel Victorian. Well, in this document he calls her a slut and says she tried to seduce him … There is a perception that Twain spent his final years basking in the adoration of fans. The autobiography will perhaps show that it wasn't such a happy time. He spent six months of the last year of his life writing a manuscript full of vitriol, saying things that he'd never said about anyone in print before. It really is 400 pages of bile."

Of course, bile that has been simmering for 100 years is less potent than the fresh stuff, and Twain knew this: Scholars think he wanted a century-long cooling-off period so as not to offend friends with his oversharing or readers with his politically incorrect views. (Another scholar tells The Independent that in the manuscript Twain “[has] doubts about God … questions the imperial mission of the US … and takes the view that patriotism was the last refuge of the scoundrel.") The downside of this kind of waiting period is the possibility that no one will care about your memoir when it's done: Twain, rightfully, was not much concerned about this. If he had been, he still would have caught our attention with the vibrator bit. Looking forward to the whole, long thing, Mr. Clemens!

Amazon link:

Autobiography of Mark Twain, Vol. 1

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 09:30:54 PM »
Opening line:

"The news of my death is now over a hundred years old and greatly underreported."