Author Topic: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)  (Read 240209 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)
« Reply #1050 on: November 15, 2023, 09:53:52 AM »
Um... So... Barbie is the smartest, funniest movie I have seen in a long time. I cried, I laughed my ass off, and I got swept into the social satire and extensive commentary on the patriarchy. And Mattel spent the whole movie relentlessly mocking themselves and all their shortcomings.

It's simply drop dead fucking brilliant.

"Thank you White Savior Barbie!!!"

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #1051 on: November 16, 2023, 12:17:19 PM »
For a studio movie based on an IP, it's about as subversive as you can get.

I think Mattel gets how Barbie the phenomenon in some ways overshadows Barbie the product. That said, I was also surprised how much they let Gerwig just drag them through the mud. I think it's a bit preachier than it needs to be, but then again if the target audience is 12-14-year-old girls then cudgeling your message is somewhat forgiven.

It's a brilliant satire though. One of the best in ages.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1052 on: November 16, 2023, 03:29:57 PM »
It is. I'd say it's the best satire this decade.

I disagree about the preachiness. Especially when they fucking pause the action so Helen Mirren can mock the preachiness!

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #1053 on: December 28, 2023, 10:34:29 PM »
Nubbins, you should see Ferrari. (You too, Nacho.)

Michael Mann is 80 and still dropping bangers. This movie is as tense as any of his crime thrillers. It's billed as a biopic, but it's really about a three month window in 1957 where Enzo Ferrari is trying to save his company by preparing to race the Mille Miglia at the same time his wife finds out about his long term mistress and their ten-year-old son. Adam Driver is great, but Penelope Cruz gives a tour de force performance as Enzo's broken wife/business partner.

The build up to the race is worth the wait. It's wild. I won't give too much away, but a lot of what happens is telegraphed (and subverted) in a way that makes it like watching a horror movie.

RC says check it out.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 12:56:55 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1054 on: December 29, 2023, 11:43:14 AM »
Long been on my list...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1055 on: February 01, 2024, 12:55:42 PM »
If this new Mission Impossible movie was, like, 90 minutes, it'd be awesome. But... six hours all in? Why not just make a TV show at that point?

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #1056 on: February 16, 2024, 02:12:17 PM »
I finally watched Saltburn. What a hot mess of a movie. It's perfect example of what undisciplined filmmaking / storytelling does to a movie when you don't "kill your darlings." It's an M. Night Shylaman movie for arthouse douchebags.

From the jump, you know what's going to happen and then the movie unfortunately becomes a waiting game of when the other shoe drops. The missed opportunity is that the filmmaker had a story that could have totally wound me in a different direction than really slapped me in the face with it's third act twist. Instead, she plays out which scenes that are intended to "shock us" but actually work against the narrative she thinks she's building. The main character is so inconsistent, and the tension is totally killed by again wondering when shit will go left. (Rather than wondering if shit is going to go left.) It's a shame too because the movie is gorgeous and the performances are riveting.

RC says check it out if you've written a messy first draft of a screenplay and want a cautionary tale about what happens if you don't take your ego out of the rewriting process.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 03:19:42 PM by RottingCorpse »