Author Topic: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)  (Read 118919 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Re: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)
« Reply #1005 on: December 31, 2018, 11:17:57 AM »
The Mary, Queen of Scots movie is perhaps as good as it can be while mostly sticking to the historical record. Critics are saying that Elizabeth and Mary almost certainly never met face to face, but I was okay with that particular dramatic embellishment. (They only meet once when Mary I seeking asylum in England.) The director is a first time filmmaker and she does a really good job contrasting the health of Elizabeth’s court with the dark backstabbing dinginess of Mary’s.  Saoirse Ronan gives a sort of manic overwrought performance that still manages to be somewhat believable. Margot Robbie is pretty much my favorite female actor running these days. I love here willingness to “go ugly” for her roles. She’s no Cate Blanchett (and her accent is fairly mercurial which I found weird with her being an Aussie), but she adds a layer of melancholy that other Lizzes haven’t had. I had no idea Elizabeth had smallpox which is why she’s always portrayed caked in make-up.

Look for David Tennant as a wild Protestant minister and every other 90s/00s day player in supporting roles.

RC says check it out.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:54:42 PM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1006 on: December 31, 2018, 02:46:23 PM »
You can pretty much assume everyone had smallpox at some point back then. In fact, it was fairly common practice (somewhat before the time of the Tudors) to intentionally infect children with smallpox (much like some people do with chicken pox). The "inoculation" methods were rather insane. In some cases, puss and scabs were taken, dried, and then blown into the healthy person's nose through a long tube.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #1007 on: January 13, 2019, 06:56:29 PM »
You can pretty much assume everyone had smallpox at some point back then. In fact, it was fairly common practice (somewhat before the time of the Tudors) to intentionally infect children with smallpox (much like some people do with chicken pox). The "inoculation" methods were rather insane. In some cases, puss and scabs were taken, dried, and then blown into the healthy person's nose through a long tube.

That's fucked up.

On a different note, I'm completely agog over Saoirse Ronan since watching this movie. She's incredibly fun and humble.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1008 on: January 14, 2019, 10:42:18 AM »

That's fucked up.

On a different note, I'm completely agog over Saoirse Ronan since watching this movie. She's incredibly fun and humble.

Fun fact #2: Blowing the virus up your nose is also a modern alternative to the flu shot! So we're still using this technique.

She is amazing.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #1009 on: February 15, 2019, 12:00:05 AM »
Tolkien biopic.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1010 on: February 15, 2019, 11:07:21 AM »
Blah.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #1011 on: February 15, 2019, 01:58:39 PM »
That's what I thought too.