Author Topic: Aww... It's the Man of the People thread!  (Read 7119 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Aww... It's the Man of the People thread!
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 10:37:16 PM »
You've got to wonder if shooting Obama in the foot is intentional.  He couldn't, really, turn it down without an equally bad backlash.  Surely they know that this is a double-edged sword politically.  [/murph]

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2009, 11:09:34 PM »
Leave it to Americans to be pissed off when their President wins one of the most prestigious awards on the planet.
8=o tation

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2009, 11:38:30 PM »
I think most people who are pissed off are not happy that he's president.

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 01:07:15 AM »
Still, even if you don't like him, how is the President of your country winning a Nobel NOT a good thing?

Even Bill O'Reilly, of all the assholes in the country, is happy that Obama got a Nobel.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 09:52:35 AM »
If I make up an award and give you one for something you might do, would you be happy?  If I give it to our president, should all Americans be happy?  The Nobel committee is about on par with that. 

I don't think most people are pissed off, more bewildered.  The people who ARE pissed off don't like him anyway and that's why they're pissed.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2009, 11:38:56 AM »
If I make up an award and give you one for something you might do, would you be happy?  If I give it to our president, should all Americans be happy?  The Nobel committee is about on par with that.

All I know is, for 6 years I was called unpatriotic, freedom-hating and told that I didn't care about national security simply because I disagreed with our President's policy of waging a preemptive war in Iraq.  Now conservatives from across the aisle are going apeshit because our President won a Nobel Peace Prize, completely blind to their own hipocrisy.  In addition, it's not even like the awarding of the prize can be influenced by "liberal media" or fringe lunatics... a panel of Norwegians chooses who wins the damn thing.

According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded to the person who:

during the preceding year [...] shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

Nobel died in 1896 and did not leave an explanation for choosing peace as a prize category. The categories for chemistry and physics were obvious choices as he was a trained chemical engineer. The reason behind the peace prize is less clear. According to the Norwegian Nobel Committee, there's significant evidence his friendship with Bertha von Suttner, a peace activist and later winner of the prize, may have profoundly influenced his decision to include peace as a category.  Scholars who studied Nobel have said it was Nobel's way to compensate for developing destructive forces (Nobel's inventions included dynamite and ballistite).

The award obviously has an ambiguous purpose.  The fact that Obama won it after such a short time in office speaks to how he is perceived by the rest of the world outside of America.  That alone is something we should be proud of... The American image is at least being slightly repaired after all the bullshit of the Bush regime.

In the end, I guess I'd rather have people hurling Nobels at my President than shoes.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:38:38 PM by Nubbins »
8=o tation

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »
So Obama is coming to New Orleans.  Problem is, he's not staying long enough to satisfy most folks.

President Obama will visit the Martin Luther King Jr. Charter School in the Lower Ninth Ward and then hold a town hall meeting at the University of New Orleans Lakefront Campus on Thursday, the White House announced tonight.

The contours of the president's first visit to New Orleans since taking office now appear complete. Local officials, including Sens. Mary Landrieu, D-La., and David Vitter, R-La., had protested that the White House's original announcement had only listed the town hall meeting. Both asked that he take more time and add stops during Thursday's visit.

When Barack Obama, then a candidate, visited New Orleans in February 2008, his itinerary included a bowl of gumbo at Dooky Chase.At right is Norman Francis, president of Xavier University.Obama will fly in on Air Force One Thursday morning, visit the Dr. King Charter School -- the only school to reopen in the Lower Ninth Ward after Hurricane Katrina -- and then conduct the town hall meeting at 1:15 p.m. at the UNO Recreation and Fitness Center on Lakeshore Drive.

"Having toured the city five times since Katrina before becoming president, this will be the president's first event that is open to the public," the White House said in releasing details of the town hall. "This will enable the people of New Orleans to convey their thoughts, challenges, and feedback directly to him."

Public access to the town hall will be limited.

Our two senators, Landrieu-D and Vitter-R, really gave him a pretty scathing letter about stopping by for more than a town hall, so they added on this school visit.  Once again the Lower Ninth Ward becomes the photo op.  While I'm excited that he's going to be in town (and registered to get tickets), it would seem to send a better message if he had an extensive tour.  Then again, as it says above, his Gulf Recovery team heads have been here in person many times, rotating through about one a month.  So at least the administration is doing work.
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 02:00:48 PM »
All I know is, for 6 years I was called unpatriotic, freedom-hating and told that I didn't care about national security simply because I disagreed with our President's policy of waging a preemptive war in Iraq.  Now conservatives from across the aisle are going apeshit because our President won a Nobel Peace Prize, completely blind to their own hipocrisy.  In addition, it's not even like the awarding of the prize can be influenced by "liberal media" or fringe lunatics... a panel of Norwegians chooses who wins the damn thing.

I don't think the people who called you that were right.  I also don't think it's necessarily bad that he won the award, it's just very easy to question.  And, yes, a panel of Norwegians chooses who wins, but let's be realistic, it's a panel of liberal Norwegians.

The award obviously has an ambiguous purpose.  The fact that Obama won it after such a short time in office speaks to how he is perceived by the rest of the world outside of America.  That alone is something we should be proud of... The American image is at least being slightly repaired after all the bullshit of the Bush regime.

In the end, I guess I'd rather have people hurling Nobels at my President than shoes.

Sure, it's ambiguous.  And the reason for the uproar is not that people are upset that the great spirit of Nobel's wishes has been disrupted.  More that it's just a huge softball for people who want to gripe.  "Peace?!?  HA!  What peace!!"  I think that the fact that Obama won it after such a short time in office speaks to how Bush was perceived by the rest of the world.  And it is good that our reputation improves globally.  I don't think that warrants a Nobel Peace Prize, but...who cares?  Great, our president won.  I'd rather have the olympics.  :D  At least they will be local time.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 02:43:31 PM »
I'd rather have the olympics.  :D  At least they will be local time.

Hell yeah!  Now, if we'd had a choice... the Nobel Peace Prize for Obama or the Olympics, I'd definitely be pissed if we chose the Nobel. :)

I just found this article from WPR:

... So if the choice of Obama is inarguably premature, then what signal was Norway, one of America's oldest and most sensible friends, trying to send?

Simply put, Thank you, America.

-Thank you for rejoining this world that you've done so much to build and improve and defend, because there is still no other nation that combines your sheer power and moral leadership.

- Thank you for recognizing how much you'd gone off the deep end after 9/11 and for making the necessary course correction, because you've done it in a manner that has dramatically re-energized global diplomacy at a time of great global crisis.

- Thank you especially for having the courage to openly admit the mistakes you've made in recent years and apologizing for them with sincere humility, because we've never seen a global leader do that before -- ever.

- Thank you for rejecting Bush-Cheney's dangerous quest for global primacy in an age of multiple rising great powers, because as the world's sole superpower, only America can invite these nations into the "club" without destabilizing it.

- Thank you for moving away from the previous administration's tendency to play fast and loose with rules we hold so dearly, like those involving torture or the unjust treatment of suspected terrorists, because your example matters most on this subject.

- Thank you for trying to unwind your ongoing interventions in Iraq and Afghanistan in a responsible, non-panicked manner, and thank you even more for still being willing to suffer the bulk of coalition casualties.

- Thank you for keeping up your good fight against global extremism and terrorism while no longer letting that effort dominate your entire foreign policy, because the global agenda is simply too full right now to allow for such strategic myopia.

- Thank you for reaching out to the Islamic world in a respectful manner despite this ongoing struggle, because we know that wasn't easy after all the names you've been called and all the immigrants you've warmly accepted from all over the world.

- Thank you for the "reset" with Russia, because as that troubled regime's next-door neighbor, Europe needs an America that's more mature than Moscow can manage to be right now.

- Thank you for your calm but decisive leadership during the worst global economic crisis since the Great Depression and the first truly global recession of modern globalization, because anything less could have sent the world spiraling toward real conflict.

- Thank you for not making China the scapegoat for all your economic problems and publicly recognizing how crucial China is to global economic stability going forward, because God knows the Chinese were no more ready for this crisis than you were.

- Thank you for recognizing the need to formally expand globalization's "board of directors" from the narrow G-7 to the truly global G-20, because it was just what the world needed right now -- another fine example of your inclusive nature.

- Thank you for restraining yourself from widespread trade protectionism during this moment of great economic and financial vulnerability, because we know how scared and angry your middle class is right now -- and thus how carefully you must lead.

- Thank you for recognizing the unsustainable nature of your financial relationship with the world and moving in the direction of correcting that imbalance in a responsible fashion -- to include trying to fix your out-of-control health care costs.

- Thank you for finally taking our fears about global warming seriously, and giving us every indication that you'll work with us toward a sensible global pact that mitigates this very real challenge without alienating the global economy's rising pillars.

- Thank you for not doing anything stupid or rash regarding North Korea's and Iran's nuclear programs while signaling your willingness to continue working toward a nuclear-free world -- however distant and implausible that goal seems right now.

- Thank you for deciding not to go ahead with that missile shield in Eastern Europe while signaling your willingness to extend your nuclear umbrella -- and missile defenses -- to countries truly threatened by Iran's growing capabilities.

- Thank you for showing some spine regarding Israel's disastrous Palestinian policies and its understandable instinct to strike out militarily at Iran, because we know how hard it is for you to try and discipline your longtime ally.

- Thank you for electing the son of a black man and a white woman the president of your country and reminding us of your union's consistently stunning ability to reinvent itself for the better.

- Thank you for continuing to remain optimistic about the future despite your current woes and those of the world at large, because we need your pragmatic but visionary leadership now more than ever.

- Finally, thank you for not rejecting this "thank you," for it was offered with the hope of encouraging you toward even more difficult decisions and adjustments in the years ahead, while pushing us to do the very same.
8=o tation

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 03:25:25 PM »
Thank you for doing all the things that we, as tiny, insular nations, can't be bothered to do ourselves.
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 03:57:20 PM »
My own positive reaction to that piece has illuminated for me just how tired I am of hearing that the rest of the world hates my country.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 05:28:21 PM »
It will be nice to travel again without having to defend myself and America to every man, woman, and child.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 05:54:42 PM »
Amen to all of that. 
8=o tation

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2009, 11:31:42 AM »
Interesting article on how the press is percieved to treat Obama differently.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20091027/pl_politico/28764

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2009, 11:35:49 AM »
Let's keep an eye on http://ifbushhaddonethat.com/