Ningen Manga Productions > NMP Short Films

First Session - REVIEWED

(1/4) > >>

RottingCorpse:
I just got the first reviewof my film and it's overwhelmingly positive, so now I'm going to go drink a beer and cry before going to work.

You know, I know that the only thing that truly matters is how I feel about what I've done, but validation leaveds me with such a high.

Ayway, the review:

http://www.monstersatplay.com/review/dvd/f/firstsession.php

FIRST SESSION

by Lawrence P. Raffel
Movies Editor

Filmmaker Lonnie Martin has crafted a sneakily clever fisrt time short film in First Session. With his prior experience in writing and acting for theatre, Martin has managed to construct a film that has elements including the best of a stage performance mixed in with a really unique cinematic directorial style.

Joy Haynes stars as Josie, a therapist having a pretty bad day, and this is before it's even had a chance to fully begin. For starters she's greeted by her overly-enthusisatic receptionist (Cindy Marie Martin), who's just overjoyed by the romantic weekend she's had with her thoughtful and caring boyfriend. Josie is obviously not impressed and it isn't until after she makes way to her office that we learn the truth. She's just discovered that her husband is cheating on her. Bad news - yes. But for Josie, soon to be the least of her problems.

Enter Mr. Smith (Scot McKenzie), Josie's first appointment of the day. Mr. Smith appears to be quite troubled from the start, however innocently so, he never comes across as a threat. Until after Josie's had a chance to dig just a little deeper do we see the truth. The two talk a lot of mumbo jumbo as Mr. Smith acquaints himself with Josie's office. He even tries to pull the ole' "Let me analyze you, Dr.' reversal bit on Josie, which only works slightly to his advantage. However, as the real truth behind Mr. Smith's visit is slowly revealed, Josie discovers the true nature of his troubles. And I stop here dear humble reader, as to give nothing further away.

OK, one more thing then. Just know that Mr. Smith's closet phobias may indeed be well-founded after all.

While the story (or outcome for that matter) is not highly original, by any means, First Session is still a tremendously enjoyable short film. It's the kind of flick that causes a real itch in me, to see what else this filmmaker has up his sleeves. Despite its predictablness, First Session has a lot going for it, especially when you consider the conditions under which it was shot (along with the fact that it comes from a first time filmmaker). Just goes to show you, with a dedicated cast and crew (and a lot of talent), anything is possible in the world of filmmaking. Shot in the filmmakers basement(!) which was cleverly converted into an office and culled from about 9-hours of footage, you'd never know any of this from the final product. While familiar, the film never comes across as pretentious, especially when you fear that it just might. Instead, it just works.

What First Session has going for its benefit is a great (if not small) ensemble cast and a filmmaker who's dedication to the craft of storytelling helps propel this 26-minute film along so quickly. It feels like only two minutes have gone by. First Session is a quick, breezy, entertaining and at times suspensful short film. A film that is truly deserving of your attention.

nacho:
Tyson's stalker, good film reviews.  What could possible be next?  My ex girlfriend moves to DC?  I die before the next credit card bill comes?  Man, the possibilities are limitless!

Congrats RC.

Tyson:
Awesome! Congratulations on getting such a positive review from a movie critic.

How long 'till it shows up on P2P!? Damnit, I want to see it!

Have you thought about throwing it around the internet - building a little buzz? Atom Films and all that?

Tyson:

Creepiest image I've seen in weeks, man. Now I'm really all hot and wet to see the movie.

nacho:
RC doesn't want to do an electronic version because he's a luddite.

Come on RC -- Member's only at GS!  Charge ten bucks a download or something.  I'll pay.  and I won't fan it around.  Or just put it up and open it for certain folks that you select.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version