Author Topic: The First 100 Days  (Read 23373 times)

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
Re: The First 100 Days
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 12:29:20 PM »
Oh!  Sirharles is terirble.

I actually like some of the things he is doing..EPA thing, Stem Cell research etc.  I just don't have a lot of faith that he knows any other way to pay for it other than taxing the hell out of us.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 12:51:06 PM »
I'm all for taxes if they're turned around into domestic advancements and not, you know, invading Iran.  They can have all the taxes they want if it means, when I'm 70 and dying, they can fix me with stem cells.... And we're free from oil so we can cheerfully watch a third of the world collapse.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 12:58:17 PM »
I'm all for taxes if they're turned around into domestic advancements and not, you know, invading Iran.  They can have all the taxes they want if it means, when I'm 70 and dying, they can fix me with stem cells.... And we're free from oil so we can cheerfully watch a third of the world collapse.

Well sure, but that won't ever happen.  Our taxes will be paying for this "stimulus package" for the next hundered years.  And we will never watch a third of the world collapse because we will "feel the need" to help them out...and how are we gonna pay for that?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »
I don't want to help them out.  I want death and destruction.  I want Burj Dubai to be good for nothing but drying skins and roosting birds.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 01:02:40 PM »
Yea, but what you want and what you are going to get taxed for are two totally different things.

All Hail Reagan!! :biggrin:

Offline Matt

• working through the 1st 10,000
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »

I also love that he's steamrolling through Congress...and they're letting him!

Need I say more

pffft I wish.

Also, http://www.nypost.com/seven/01232009/news/politics/prez_zings_gop_foe_in_a_timulating_talk_151572.htm where Obama tells the Republicans to grow up. It's pretty funny.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »
Damned communists.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »
More to get sirharles riled up.

http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2009/01/26/5-of-the-crazier-things-in-the-stumulus-bill/

This $825 billion dollar economic stimulus package that we're going to be paying for for god knows how long has in it some - to put it nicely - unnecessary provisions that are clear indications some lawmakers are trying to take advantage of the country's horrible economic situation. They're trying to ride the wave of "stimulus needed now" sentiment to throw in things like cash for more grass on the National Mall - while at the same time, saying we may have to spend even more - potentially more than $1 trillion.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 04:13:33 PM »
I quote John Oliver: "I have been in your malls. They are cathedrals to bullshit!"

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2009, 05:23:18 PM »
Will someone please explain to me how any of those things will "stimulate" the economy?  Anybody?

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
They're stimulating!
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 09:09:09 PM »
Are they fisting the economy? Because that's what couples do.

Offline Matt

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • tourist
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2009, 09:19:26 PM »
Will someone please explain to me how any of those things will "stimulate" the economy?  Anybody?

Paul Krugman can. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/26/opinion/26krugman.html?_r=1&sq=krugman&st=cse&scp=3&pagewanted=print

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2009, 10:47:48 PM »

It's funny, my entire family comes from Kansas, so when I was a kid we used to go there in the summertime to visit my aunts, uncles and grandparents.  Anyway, when you drive out of town into the farms, most of the dirt roads are lined with big oak trees.  My grandparents always told me that they were planted during the Great Depression as part of some public works program to give people jobs... the lines of trees also had the benefit of sheilding fields from winds to a certain degree to prevent erosion.

That's pretty much the only sense I can see behind using stimulus money to re-sod the National Mall.  Seems kind of like small-potatoes thinking for a problem so massive it defies description...
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2009, 10:49:22 PM »
Look, the Mall's very important.  They need to resod it so that people can sunbathe on it and play sports and tear it all up again immediately after the sod is put down.