Author Topic: The First 100 Days  (Read 31888 times)

Offline Tatertots

• Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
Re: The First 100 Days
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 01:12:05 PM »
and:

A second executive order formally bans torture by requiring that the Army field manual be used as the guide for terror interrogations. The order essentially ends the Bush administration's CIA program of enhanced interrogation methods.

Nice.

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 01:13:43 PM »
Even fisting?
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Fisting is what you do when you're in love.

Offline Cassander

• Cap'n 40 Watt
  • Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Simmer down now!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 12:07:20 AM »
but make sure you talk about it first, along with your dreams.
You ain't a has been if you never was.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 11:15:15 AM »
Generally, go Obama.

The public could do with more transparency.

However, transparency can easily be used to cover non-transparency in other places.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline fajwat

• Wee Bin Hoker
  • Cthulu saves souls for tasty midnight binges.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 01:59:32 PM »
Every day the front page of Wapo has been heaven.  Fucking heaven.  I am overcome every morning. 

Quote from: Dana Priest, for wapo
President Obama yesterday eliminated the most controversial tools employed by his predecessor against terrorism suspects. With the stroke of his pen, he effectively declared an end to the "war on terror," as President George W. Bush had defined it, signaling to the world that the reach of the U.S. government in battling its enemies will not be limitless.

While Obama says he has no plans to diminish counterterrorism operations abroad, the notion that a president can circumvent long-standing U.S. laws simply by declaring war was halted by executive order in the Oval Office.

Key components of the secret structure developed under Bush are being swept away: The military's Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, facility, where the rights of habeas corpus and due process had been denied detainees, will close, and the CIA is now prohibited from maintaining its own overseas prisons. And in a broad swipe at the Bush administration's lawyers, Obama nullified every legal order and opinion on interrogations issued by any lawyer in the executive branch after Sept. 11, 2001.

"If it were up to me I would close Guantánamo not tomorrow but this afternoon... Essentially, we have shaken the belief that the world had in America's justice system... and it's causing us far more damage than any good we get from it."

-Colin Powell

Offline Nubbins

• Powerful Poots
  • You're a kitty!
  • maybe you shouldn't dress like a bumblebee, bitch
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 02:06:28 PM »
Obama nullified every legal order and opinion on interrogations issued by any lawyer in the executive branch after Sept. 11, 2001.

holy shit
8=o tation

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 02:12:58 PM »
Oh, yeah, the Post is having a great time.  Love their headlines now:

Bush's 'War' On Terror Comes to a Sudden End

(The headline for what was quoted above.)

I also love that he's steamrolling through Congress...and they're letting him!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/23/AR2009012300438.html?hpid=topnews

President Obama said today that efforts to pass a massive new economic stimulus package by mid-February are "on target," despite Republican lawmakers' objections to some elements of the plan.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 02:15:02 PM »
Of course, then there's this:

http://iht.com/articles/2009/01/23/mideast/detainee.1-414168.php

The emergence of a former Guantánamo Bay detainee as the deputy leader of Al Qaeda's Yemeni branch has underscored the potential complications in carrying out the executive order that President Barack Obama signed that the detention center be shut down within a year.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 02:32:38 PM »
Good stuff, Obama!

Wait... he's black?
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline fajwat

• Wee Bin Hoker
  • Cthulu saves souls for tasty midnight binges.
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 02:39:13 PM »
Of course, then there's this:

http://iht.com/articles/2009/01/23/mideast/detainee.1-414168.php

The emergence of a former Guantánamo Bay detainee as the deputy leader of Al Qaeda's Yemeni branch has underscored the potential complications in carrying out the executive order that President Barack Obama signed that the detention center be shut down within a year.

I suppose that it's a too late to avoid habeus corpus and "fair and speedy trial" and other constitutional challenges if we moved them to US jails and courts.  I'm sure the ACLU and DOJ and others are looking into options which maximize safety, morality and compatibility with the constitution.  I hope we find something good.  If we were sure how to best shut it down today, I'd be screaming for it.

End of the day, it can't be perfect.  It'll probably have to be less perfect than the justice system which let OJ Simpson free.
"If it were up to me I would close Guantánamo not tomorrow but this afternoon... Essentially, we have shaken the belief that the world had in America's justice system... and it's causing us far more damage than any good we get from it."

-Colin Powell

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 02:51:25 PM »
OJ was innocent!

Remember the glove?

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 12:07:04 PM »

I also love that he's steamrolling through Congress...and they're letting him!

Need I say more

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 12:13:44 PM »
Oh!  Sirharles is terirble.

This is nice:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7851038.stm

Mr Obama ordered the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to begin work on granting California and 13 other states an exemption from the federal Clear Air Act.

This would allow them to set their own standards on exhaust emissions and fuel efficiency, US media has reported aides to President Obama as saying.

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger had asked Mr Obama to reverse the Bush administration's insistence on a single, national standard.

California wants a 30% reduction in motor vehicle greenhouse gas emissions by 2016, achieved by improving fuel efficiency standards.

President Obama also expected to order the transportation department to come up with new short-term rules on how carmakers can improve fuel efficiency.

A 2007 law required that new cars and trucks produced by 2020 obtain 35 miles per gallon of fuel (about 15km/litre).

Deadline change

However, Mr Bush did not put in place the regulations to enable the law to be carried out.

The new rules Mr Obama wants put in place would mean the new standard is reached by 2011, the New York Times said.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 12:15:11 PM »
And...some fallout:

The Vatican has condemned President Obama's move to restore US funding for family planning clinics abroad that give advice on or carry out abortions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7849600.stm