Author Topic: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)  (Read 119029 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
I do love me some sci-fi Cronenberg.

Robert Pattinson To Star In David Cronenberg's 'Cosmopolis'

Robert Pattinson has booked his first major lead for when he completes The Twilight Saga. Pattinson will star in Cosmopolis, the Don DeLillo novel adaptation that David Cronenberg wrote and will direct. Pattinson, who just starred with Reese Witherspoon and Christoph Waltz in Fox 2000's Francis Lawrence-directed adaptation of the Elizabeth Gruen novel Water For Elephants, will play Eric Packer. A financial wunderkind, Packer risks his entire fortune to bet against the yen on a tumultuous day. His deed puts him in the crosshairs for assassination in a drama that is a study of capitalism in a slightly futuristic metropolis. Most of the scenes in the book take place in the limousine that transports Packer from place to place. Marion Cotillard and Paul Giamatti are also reportedly doing the film.

As Pattinson and his Twilight Saga castmates plan their careers after the series is completed--Bill Condon is directing the final film right now, Pattinson is following a path based on strong filmmakers and tasteful source material. He took the role because he is a big fan of Cronenberg's work and an admirer of DeLillo's books. He's repped by WME and 3 Arts.

I finally watched this and....

snorebot! livesnorebot

Yes, double snorebot. It's really talky and while a lot of the speeches are interesting, it just drags as a piece of cinema. It's way too philosophical and esoteric. It's probably a good novel, though I'd have to be in the right headspace for it. I thought of Waiting for Godot and Samuel Beckett more than once which I guess isn't too bad of a thing, though that stuff was far more interesting to me when I was 22 and high as a kite.

Ultimately I'm disappointed, because I'm usually a Cronenberg apologist. Not this time.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
Really? Velociraptors are cute and friendly now?

:blargh:

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
 this movie needs sam neill

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
Yes. Badly.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
So...wait a minute...have they never watched Jem before?  They've taken Jem from an empowered woman with a super computer who goes on adventures to an angsty teen flick.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
My wife was a huge Jem fan and after watching this, said they made all the right choices in updating it this way.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
My wife was a huge Jem fan and after watching this, said they made all the right choices in updating it this way.

The right choices being... Not making a Jem movie? I assume she meant that sarcastically, as in "they can't make a Jem movie."

Do you know what show made the right choices when it came to rebooting Jem? Cleopatra 2525.

What rattles my cage is the ongoing hatred for women in our culture. Jem moves from being an empowered woman who cares for others and saves the day as the unexpected CEO of Starlight to an angsty teenager prime for victimization and at the mercy of someone else's Starlight. This ongoing problem -- how women are portrayed and treated in the entertainment industry -- is becoming alarming even to me (who doesn't really care).

Okay, fine, you throw women to the floor and wound them in sports commercials. But when you take once powerful female role models and remove all their power, that's a step too far.

Or...maybe it isn't. Maybe, if the modern woman doesn't care that she's being marginalized, I shouldn't care. 

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life

Am I remembering wrong?  Didn't Jem fight crime or something?  Because I kept waiting for the CIA or NSA or someone to step in and say "hey you're a worldwide phenom, want to help us fight the terrorists?" during the trailer.  Wasn't that the cartoon?  Admittedly I didn't really watch it, just caught snippets when my sisters had the TV on.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS

Am I remembering wrong?  Didn't Jem fight crime or something?  Because I kept waiting for the CIA or NSA or someone to step in and say "hey you're a worldwide phenom, want to help us fight the terrorists?" during the trailer.  Wasn't that the cartoon?  Admittedly I didn't really watch it, just caught snippets when my sisters had the TV on.

Yes! She did. Jem inherited Starlight from her dad, and discovered that he had built Synergy -- a sentient super-computer that specialized in...uh...holograms, for some reason. So Jem was the secret identity of Jerrica Benton. As Jerrica, she was a wealthy Bruce Wayne-style philanthropist who saved runaway girls and spent an inordinate amount of time trying to keep Synergy out of the hands of rival bands (since access to Synergy would make you a Deathklok style super-band that could influence the world for good...or evil.).

The Holograms were childhood friends and some of the runaways, who all transformed into Jem and the Holograms to be the most popular girl band ever, but also to fight the bad guys who were preying upon women, etc. Or in some episodes they'd have actual missions to go on -- like saving some girl's eyesight, or bringing small bits of justice to the world, etc.

So she was Batman if Batman was obsessed with self-image, bad music, and converting office blocks into shelters for battered girls.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
What rattles my cage is the ongoing hatred for women in our culture. Jem moves from being an empowered woman who cares for others and saves the day as the unexpected CEO of Starlight to an angsty teenager prime for victimization and at the mercy of someone else's Starlight. This ongoing problem -- how women are portrayed and treated in the entertainment industry -- is becoming alarming even to me (who doesn't really care).

Okay, fine, you throw women to the floor and wound them in sports commercials. But when you take once powerful female role models and remove all their power, that's a step too far.

Or...maybe it isn't. Maybe, if the modern woman doesn't care that she's being marginalized, I shouldn't care. 

Maybe that's what her character will grow into in the sequal or through the course of the movie. Powerful females don't just sprout out of nothing! They have backstory!

And what am I doing predicting what might happen in a Jem movie.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS

Maybe that's what her character will grow into in the sequal or through the course of the movie. Powerful females don't just sprout out of nothing! They have backstory!

And what am I doing predicting what might happen in a Jem movie.

You're truly --

Oh, nevermind.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
New sci-fi report!

Ex Machina was very interesting. Not 100% happy with the resolution... And the ending also has a big hole that doesn't quite hold water. But... Still fun. Worth a watch.

Chappie! This is the reboot of Short Circuit we didn't know we wanted. Despite being derivative of just about every robot story since 1933, it's really quite good. It takes about 90 minutes to get over the fact that you've seen this movie a hundred times in a hundred different forms. The charm is Chappie himself, and the creepy presence of RC's die Antwoord girl (and her music).

Everyone else is just phoning this movie in, though. I swear Weaver must have said "I can only film for two days." This hurts the movie, because the only believable relationship is with Chappie and die Antwoord and the comically two-dimensional bad guy.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
This is a terrific article. An in-depth discussion about how all the bad guys in 80s movies were actually correct, and our "heroes" were horrible, rule-breaking assholes and, possibly, psychopaths.

https://medium.com/message/the-iceman-list-5df51be135d6

Choice Quotes:

On the general thesis:
And if Generation X’s childhood movies share one lesson, it’s that People Who Have Fun Are Inherently Good, and people who believe in rules are inherently bad. Animal House, Caddyshack, Meatballs, Ghostbusters, Grease, The Outsiders, The Goonies, Beverly Hills Cop, Revenge of the Nerds — no matter how skeevy they are, joke-cracking characters looking for good times beat authority figures and uptight stooges hands down.

On Dean Yeager and Walter Peck being incorrectly called bad guys:
what kind of Reaganite propaganda play is this where the only non-supernatural villains are university professors and officials from the EPA just trying to do their jobs?

On Dean Rooney also just trying to do his job:
Admittedly, Dean Rooney takes Bueller’s latest elaborate con rather personally, but to be fair, not only does he have the welfare of other students to consider, but he watched Bueller’s absence count go from nine to two before his own eyes. He probably thinks either his entire data network’s been compromised or he’s losing his mind.

On how Joe Clark is actually the villain in Lean on Me:
In Lean on Me, Clark also installs a weird paramilitary security force answering only to him, encourages a student to commit suicide, bullies the music teacher out of a job because the school’s worst students don’t know the school song, unilaterally demotes the head football coach to assistant over the team’s record (going on to belittle him every chance he gets, only relenting when the coach/English teacher fights him physically) and puts the entire school to work full-time on drills to pass a basic skills test, largely just so that he can stay in charge. So Joe Clark’s “victory” may have been eerily prescient of where public schools were heading, but it certainly violates everything we know about what constitutes good education.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
Brilliant.

My "all-cops-are-abusive-assholes-even-when-portrayed-as-the-hero" is a corollary to this...and it is going on today.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
You know...making the Velociraptors cool and friendly in Jurassic World is kind of like if all the ghosts were friendly in Poltergeist.