Author Topic: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)  (Read 121713 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)
« Reply #765 on: January 23, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »
Screener season continues with...um...Taken 3.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #766 on: January 24, 2015, 10:32:43 AM »
Screener season continues with...um...Taken 3.

This was better than the first two! Largely because it's a remake of The Fugitive.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #767 on: January 24, 2015, 12:00:46 PM »
Screener season continues with Everly. I have Interstellar here, but, got, it's 500 hours long...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #768 on: January 24, 2015, 12:30:16 PM »
Screener season continues with Everly. I have Interstellar here, but, got, it's 500 hours long...

Everly is remarkably unwatchable. Moving on to Birdman!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #769 on: January 26, 2015, 11:35:43 AM »
Ugh...I have some sort of mystery flu today. Or maybe it's just Monday. So Interstellar time!

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #770 on: January 26, 2015, 11:37:03 AM »
Ugh...I have some sort of mystery flu today. Or maybe it's just Monday. So Interstellar time!

Thetons are draining your life force.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #771 on: January 26, 2015, 01:01:51 PM »
So the big huge flaw with Interstellar is that they're still arguing about "you need to choose between saving the human race and seeing your children again" when they go through great pains establishing that, no matter what, they really probably won't get home before 40-50 years have passed, and it's said before the mission even starts that everyone will be dead within that time frame (or close enough to the end to be hopeless). 

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #772 on: January 26, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »
How many people do you think we need for human life to continue largely as it is today?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #773 on: January 26, 2015, 07:58:19 PM »
How many people do you think we need for human life to continue largely as it is today?

Genetics tells us that you only need between 70-100 people to maintain a viable gene pool. Some of the science indicates that all of North America was settled by a gene pool that was originally around 70 individuals! And, of course, there are examples from Pacific islands and the antipodes that indicate far fewer numbers can maintain a viable genepool.

I was always taught that the ideal was 10,000 people, to provide enough diversity to recover from disease, disaster, and other unexpected setbacks. This number is what you see most often in sci-fi whenever this topic is broached.

RC's and my favorite Brit drama, Utopia, hedged their bets -- their aim was for the human race to plateau at 500 million.

In order for human life to continue as we know it today, we can simply look at where we were a century ago before the big boom -- that was roughly 1.9 billion. In 1920, that 1.9 billion was exploring the globe, survived the greatest pandemic since the Black Death, had enough leisure time to lead a wave of inventions and art, and was able to execute two world wars that would cost tens of millions of lives between them and, statistically speaking, remain largely unchanged in regards to daily life. So that's pretty much a good benchmark.

Though, of course, Rome conquered the known world and we're still catching up with their technology and knowledge in many ways and that was in a world of 300 million, at the most.  Though you don't see the same sort of vast middle class there... At 1.9 billion you had a middle class, you had the same sort of social strata that we would understand if we were to parachute into the middle of it all.

So... My answer would be 2 billion for everything to sort of feel the same and 3 billion if I consider Big Macs to be a part of regular human existence (that's how many people we had in the 50s when fast food franchises were popularized and, without a doubt, society was nearly identical to what it is today).

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #774 on: January 27, 2015, 01:33:59 AM »
Life as we know it... we would need quite a sub section of society just to provide us with the raw materials - renewable or otherwise - to keep our living standards. Indeed, we could end up with a world envisioned by Aldous Huxley.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #775 on: January 28, 2015, 09:30:43 PM »
Maybe one day we will need far less. And will all lead lives of leisure, attended to by our robotic servants.

Until the robotic revolution.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #776 on: January 29, 2015, 05:45:15 AM »
A lab somewhere - I can't remember where, so fuck you - just realigned the graphite properties of solar panels to improve efficiency from 32% to 60%.

This is a good thing.

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #777 on: January 29, 2015, 05:46:23 PM »
A lab somewhere - I can't remember where, so fuck you - just realigned the graphite properties of solar panels to improve efficiency from 32% to 60%.

This is a good thing.

No, no, :fuckyou:

http://wccftech.com/graphene-wonder-material-breakthrough-enables-doubling-solar-panel-efficiency/

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #778 on: January 29, 2015, 09:04:26 PM »
I'm always glad to see that gif.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #779 on: January 29, 2015, 09:22:14 PM »
Screener season continues with Nightcrawler.