Author Topic: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)  (Read 125662 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)
« Reply #705 on: December 11, 2014, 10:33:59 AM »
Surprisingly, Hot Tub Time Machine probably deserves its own thread.  I really enjoyed it.  It's good, dumb fun and if you were someone who came of age in the 80's, the movie has a surreal feel at times when you watch 45-year-old John Cusak remind you of all the 80's movies he was ever in... in another 80's movie... sort of.

I laughed all the way through it.  Very funny.

Wait...hold on.  Yes, this is a good movie.  Watching it now and loving it.  I'm shocked!

I'll never doubt you again, Nubbins.

I love that the second one is doing Back to the Future 2. Perfect, perfect...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #706 on: December 14, 2014, 02:13:50 PM »
The book was unreadable... The movie is interesting, though. It's largely brought by Rosamund Pike, who is perfectly easy. Plus, we all need to watch Rosamund Pike rape herself with a bottle of chardonnay, right?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #707 on: December 31, 2014, 09:24:51 AM »
Am I the only one who can't wait for Dragon Blade? Man, you people are losing your edge!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #708 on: January 09, 2015, 11:45:30 AM »
Screener season continues with American Sniper!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #709 on: January 09, 2015, 01:42:50 PM »
Screener season continues with American Sniper!

Are soldiers really able to make phone calls to their wives from the middle of firefights in Sadr City whenever they want? We'll just crouch behind this wall as the apocalypse unfolds and chat a bit on the cellphone. Hey baby! Wanna have phone sex?

The most egregious is when he makes a phone call to his wife who does offer him phone sex while he's in position and supposed to be protecting a convoy.

No wonder America has stopped winning wars!

Offline Reginald McGraw

• Old Timer
  • Wee Bin Hoker
  • Crypto-Facist
« Reply #710 on: January 09, 2015, 04:14:17 PM »
Are soldiers really able to make phone calls to their wives from the middle of firefights in Sadr City whenever they want? We'll just crouch behind this wall as the apocalypse unfolds and chat a bit on the cellphone. Hey baby! Wanna have phone sex?

The most egregious is when he makes a phone call to his wife who does offer him phone sex while he's in position and supposed to be protecting a convoy.

No wonder America has stopped winning wars!

No, soldiers are not able to do this.

We have not lost any wars! As long as you define winning wars as destroying all opposition and then leaving.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #711 on: January 09, 2015, 04:46:02 PM »
Screener day continues with The Imitation Game -- which, curiously, gets most of its history wrong.

Now I'm on Unbroken, which employs almost exactly the same storytelling techniques as The Imitation Game because I guess writers are afraid to tell a story about the main star and, instead, find it easier to cast a precocious kid as the youthful version of the star who constantly flashes back to childhood for every single step of his character development while we the audience would really, really rather the narrative just stay where the fuck it was and tell the goddamned story.

PS: Three 50 cal bullets through the chest kills you. FYI. movie.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:48:04 PM by nacho »

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #712 on: January 10, 2015, 07:46:03 AM »
I think we need a Neill Blomkamp thread in the way we have a Neil Marshall thread. This guy's evolution is fascinating.

Chappie, his latest, is in the words of a YouTube comment that made me choke on my coffee, "that Robocop/Short Circuit mashup you didn't know you wanted."

I also can't decide from the trailer whether or not it's Blomkamp's Doomsday.  Catch me up on Elysium which I still haven't seen. My understanding was that it was the sophomore slump you expected from his studio follow-up to District 9; gorgeous and visually rich with great ideas that were likely strangled by some executive who wanted to make sure it didn't effect toy sales.

I think he's a fresh voice in Sci-Fi, butI also wonder if he's the one-trick pony Masrhall seemed to be. (At least before he found his fit in Game of Thrones.)

Anyway, take a look:

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #713 on: January 10, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »

Catch me up on Elysium which I still haven't seen. My understanding was that it was the sophomore slump you expected from his studio follow-up to District 9; gorgeous and visually rich with great ideas that were likely strangled by some executive who wanted to make sure it didn't effect toy sales.

You've got Elysium exactly. So now -- good for you! You don't have to watch Elysium! Me? I'd still like to have that two hours back.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #714 on: January 10, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »
Screener season continues with Preservation. I'm a sucker for this genre -- wilderness thriller/horror survival -- so I'm going into it with a very open and ready to forgive attitude. Mainly because these movies are all the same (which is fine), even if you try to make them different with Hopkins fighting a bear or Neeson fighting a wolf, or Streep fighting Bacon.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #715 on: January 10, 2015, 03:04:48 PM »
Screener season continues with Preservation. I'm a sucker for this genre -- wilderness thriller/horror survival -- so I'm going into it with a very open and ready to forgive attitude. Mainly because these movies are all the same (which is fine), even if you try to make them different with Hopkins fighting a bear or Neeson fighting a wolf, or Streep fighting Bacon.

Whew! That was awful...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #716 on: January 11, 2015, 12:30:08 PM »
Screener Season continues with We Still Kill the Old Way (AKA The Guvnors).

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #717 on: January 12, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »
Screener Season continues with We Still Kill the Old Way (AKA The Guvnors).

This was fun. Basically the British Red, but not as over the top.

Next up was The Atticus Incident -- found footage done as a mockumentary, largely inspired by MK Ultra. It's actually kind of fun... Worth it if you enjoy the genre.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #718 on: January 12, 2015, 07:50:17 PM »
The Last Stages! Which, again, tries to reboot the werewolf genre... And kind of does. It's surprisingly decent. Great monster effects.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #719 on: January 13, 2015, 08:20:31 AM »
88 was next. It's one of a long line of Katherine Isabel movies that I believe get massive funding from private investors just so they can sit in a room and stare at Katherine Isabel.