Author Topic: Not worth a thread: Silver Screen Edition (with downloadable supplement)  (Read 124764 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Had a shut-in movie day yesterday.

(1) God Bless America -- an odd chapter in "anti-culture" commentary (which is a grouping I throw movies like Fight Club into). It sort of falls short of the mark, and exists too much as commentary and not enough as entertainment. It's been out for months, but doesn't hit theaters till mid-May, I guess. Whatever. Not worth full price.

(2) The Way -- Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez's lovely little movie. Sheen, a stick in the mud ophthalmologist, has to travel to FRance to pick up the remains of his son, who was killed in a freak mountain storm at the start of the St James Way pilgrimage, which is 800 kilometers from France to a cathedral in Galicia where the remains of James the Apostle are held.

It's beautiful on many levels, not the least is the loving cinematography of some of the most beautiful places in the Pyrenees.

(3) Chronicle -- The accidental superhero thing. Again. Recorded handheld style. It has some wow moments -- and a terrific homage to the Superman II city-battle -- but is ultimately retarded and annoying and I want it to die.

(4) Hugo -- There's nothing special about this. It's damned pretty, and ably done, but it's one of these flicks that's too taken with being a 3-D movie, so it's distracting in 2-D. And it does make me think of the people who say Cohen's career is over. He's pretty ham-fisted in this. But, then, everyone is.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
21 Jump Street!

I actually enjoyed it. A self-aware meta comedy. I feel sorry for anyone under 25, though, because half the jokes are thinly veiled stabs at the show. Including a somewhat lengthy heart to heart between Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise that only people who regularly watched the show in the 80's would understand. That's, like, a minute long scene in the midst of the finale.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
So how come nobody told me about Drive? It's this weird ass homage to 80's John Woo and 70's heist cinema. Not the best outing... But strangely watchable.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
It came and went in a flash. I meant to see it because I like Ryan Gosling. Worth a look?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
It came and went in a flash. I meant to see it because I like Ryan Gosling. Worth a look?

Yeah. It's okay. Don't go out of your way... But it's watch instant everywhere.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
Did anybody else know there was an On the Road movie being made?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Nope!

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
Yes, I'm a theatre nerd.

Yes, I want to see this.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
I'm half an hour into Love right now (it's less than 90 minutes) and it's pretty cool so far. Moon meets Solaris meets that stupid Fountain movie with the tree and all the timelines meets Bradbury.

Reading about it... The budget was only half a million and the sets were built in the director's parent's back yard! Which I guess isn't hard because the only "set" is the inside of the ISS.

That said, there's a fairly brilliant Civil War battle in the prologue that kind of made me wish we just had a straight up Thin Red Line-style Civil War story. But... well, who am I? I never get my way.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Didn't we have a Sam Raimi thread? Or was it consumed by Spiderman?

Anyway... I guess we have to pay attention to him. Here's Oz:

The flying monkeys sell me.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:31:55 AM by nacho »

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
Directed by Kathryn Bigelow. (The Hurt Locker) I'm filing this one under "Hell yeah!"

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
Tell me this girl isn't Squeaky. Also, I really want to see this.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
Chole Moritz what's her name has become a breakout, no?

Though I don't quite trust a movie that declares itself controversial in the trailer.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
I'm kind of intrigued by that Ruby Sparks trailer...

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
I'm surprised we don't have a Bourne thread.

Anyway, trailer for the... what, reboot? "Sidequel?"

Yes, The Bourne Legacy is a "sidequel." And you know what?

It was awesome.

This one's all story though haven't they all been? It's a lean, mean action machine that takes place either right after or maybe even in tandem with the events of The Bourne Ultimatum. Basically a bunch of stuff has leaked about the CIA's genetic ops programs in the wake of Jason's Bourne's adventures and the CIA decided to shut down Treadstone's sister program Alcom, wiping all all the ops except our hero, Aaron Cross. Rachel Weisz plays the lone survivor of the labs where the ops are processed and Cross finds her because he still needs the meds provided by the program. Bourne style country jumping and action ensue.

Is a bit rehashy of Supremacy? Sort of, but who cares once you're in the big bike chase through Manilla at the end. REEEEEEAAAAAANNNNNNNOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!

Now Universal needs to do one more with Renner before throwing a ton of money at Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass for the big kablooie finale where Bourne and Cross team up to take the whole conspiracy down.

Actually, with all the "hidden" op programs, they could just swap out new actors and tell "sidequel" stories forever... or at least until people stop watching which based on Legacy's numbers isn't happening anytime soon.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:31:55 AM by RottingCorpse »